Spatial management of the shipping routes in the Russian Arctic
Автор: Ivanova Medeya V., Kozmenko Arina S.
Рубрика: Regional economy
Статья в выпуске: 2 т.14, 2021 года.
The new plans for Russian Arctic development are predetermined by changes in the external economic environment and the state’s internal policy. In May 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced new development guidelines for the Northern Sea Route. Later on, the documents related to the strategic development of the Russian Arctic zone were approved. In these documents, the Northern Sea Route development is highlighted as one of the main directions of competitive national transport communication of the Russian Federation on the global market. The purpose of the research is to determine the role of the Northern Sea Route in the country’s spatial and socio-economic development in the context of the Spatial Development Strategy of the Russian Federation until 2025. The long-term plans launched various economic, political, and other socially significant processes in the Russian Arctic, which led to the formulation of two research tasks. The first one is to consider the main approaches to the spatial management of the regional economy and to present the implementation of the spatial economy provisions in case of the Northern Sea Route that is the center of the Arctic space “assembly”. The second one is to reveal the Northern Sea Route potential as a transport and logistics highway in the transit traffic area, transportation of raw materials, and ensuring vital activity of the population of the Northern regions in deliveries of goods to the Northern territories. As a result of the research, the authors have identified the main trends in the NSR development: strengthening of Russia’s domestic economic policy, aimed at activating business processes in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation, and the usage of the NSR as an international transit highway. Data analysis on transportation of raw materials and goods deliveries to the Northern territories indicates that inland navigation will soon be a dominant type of navigation on the Northern Sea Route.
Arctic, spatial economy, spatial development strategy of the russian federation, northern sea route, cargo turnover
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234742
IDR: 147234742 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.2.74.6
Список литературы Spatial management of the shipping routes in the Russian Arctic
- Granberg A.G. August Losch’s ideas in Russia. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 2006, no. 2, pp. 5–17 (in Russian).
- Minakir P.A., Dem’yanenko A.N. Spatial economics: The evolution of approaches and methodology. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 2010, no. 2, pp. 6–32 (in Russian).
- Tatarkin A.I. et al. Rossiiskaya Arktika: sovremennaya paradigma razvitiya [Russian Arctic: A Modern Development Paradigm]. Ed. by A.I. Tatarkin. St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya, 2014. 844 p.
- Bashmakova E.P. et al. Faktornyi analiz i prognoz gruzopotokov Severnogo morskogo puti [Factor Analysis and Forecast of Cargo Flows of the Northern Sea Route]. Ed. by V.S. Selin, S.Yu. Koz’menko (chapter 4). Apatity: izd. Kol’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, 2015. 335 p.
- Uskova T.V. Territories’ sustainable development and modern management methods. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2020, no. 2 (106), pp. 7–18 (in Russian).
- Krugman P. Space: The final frontier. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika=Spatial Economics, 2005, no. 3, pp. 121–136 (in Russian).
- Fujita M., Krugman P., Venables A-J. The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press. 2001. Pр. 384–402.
- Krugman P., Wells R. Economics. Worth Publishers, 2005. 1200 р.
- Krugman P. The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008. W.W. Norton, 2008. 224 p. Translated by Krugman P. Vozvrazhchenie Velikoi depressii? [The Return of Depression Economics]. Moscow: Eksmo, 2009. 336 p.
- Belov M.I. Istoriya otkrytiya i osvoeniya Severnogo morskogo puti [The History of the Discovery and Development of the Northern Sea Route]. Vol. 4. Leningrad, 1969. 617 p.
- Letopis’ Severa: sb. po vopr. istorii ekon. razvitiya i ist. geografii Severa [Chronicle of the North: Collection
- of works on the history of economic development and geography of the North]. Editorial board: S.V. Slavin et al. Issue 11. Moscow: Mysl’, 1985. 255 p.
- Selin V.S. Evaluation of potentialities for development of the maritime communication in the Russian Arctic. Vestnik Kol’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN=Herald of the Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2011, no. 4 (7), pp. 22–28 (in Russian).
- Sun Xiuwen. Problems and prospects of development of the Northern sea route in the context of the “Belt and Road” initiative. Problemy Dal’nego Vostoka=Far Eastern Affairs, 2017, no. 6, pp. 5–15 (in Russian).
- Ivanova M.V., Kozmenko A.S. Scientific foundations of the spatial economy and the theory of new economic geography. Sever i rynok: formirovanie ekonomicheskogo poryadka=The North and the Market: Forming the Economic Order, 2020, no. 4 (70), pp. 32–41 (in Russian).
- Lasserre F. Case studies of shipping along arctic routes. analysis and profitability perspectives for the container sector. Transportation Research, Part A, 2014, is. 66, рр. 144–161.
- Wang H., Zhang Y., Meng Q. How Will the Opening of the Northern Sea Route Influence the Suez Canal Route? An Empirical Analysis with Discrete Choice Models. Transportation Research, Part A, 2018, vol. 107, рр. 75–89.
- Fisenko A.I. Risks of shipping for Northern Sea Route. Transportnoe delo Rossii=Transport Business of Russia, 2015, no. 6, pp. 260–262 (in Russian).
- Ershov V.A. Mezhdunarodnye gruzoperevozki [International Cargo Transportation]. Moscow: GrossMedia, 2019. 320 p.
- Thi Bich Van Pham, Aravopoulos Miltiadis Feasibility Study on Commercial Shipping in the Northern Sea Route: Master’s Thesis in the Master’s Programme Maritime Management. Report no. 2019:75. Gothenburg: Chalmers University of Technology, 2019. 123 p.
- Global’nye tendentsii osvoeniya energeticheskikh resursov Rossiiskoi Arktiki. Ch. I [Global trends in the development of energy resources in the Russian Arctic. Part I]. In: Tendentsii ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Rossiiskoi Arktiki [Trends in the Economic Development of the Russian Arctic]. Ed. by S.A. Agarkov, V.I. Bogoyavlenskii, S.Yu. Koz’menko, V.A. Masloboev, M.V. Ul’chenko. Apatity: Izd-vo Kol’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, 2019. 170 p.
- Gunnarsson B. Recent ship traffic and developing shipping trends on the Northern Sea Route – Policy implications for future arctic shipping. Marine Policy, 2021, vol. 124, article 104369. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2020.104369
- Gruzinov V.M. et al. Arctic transport routes on land, in water and air areas. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2019, no. 1 (33), pp. 6–20 (in Russian).
- Gaidarji E.I. Analysis of the turnover of the Northern Sea Route ports from 2017 to 2018. Sistemnyi analiz i logistika=System Analysis and Logistics, 2019, no. 2 (20), pp. 30–34 (in Russian).