Resource model of the self-esteem structure and its impact on the stress-coping strategies of police officers
Автор: Gulshat S. Chovdyrova, Elena V. Ivanova, Sophia V. Prokurova, Pavel T. Tyurin
Статья в выпуске: 1 (88), 2022 года.
Introduction. The work of police officers mainly with the antisocial part of the population increases the conflict between the three sides of self-esteem — I (real, ideal, social), which can contribute to the emergence of cognitive dissonance and the choice of maladaptive coping, and, conversely, the predominance of maladaptive coping, will indicate the presence of a conflict of interests between the three I and an increase in the risk of developing adaptation diseases in police officers. The aim is to determine the influence of the self-esteem structure on the adaptability of defense mechanisms when choosing coping strategies. Materials and methods. On the basis of the theoretical self-assessment model developed by the authors, experimental testing data on Khaimah and Budassia of 85 police officers of various services aged from 22 to 45 years are considered. Results and discussion. The work has shown that the orientation of copings depends on the problem being solved and coping strategies can be combined, it is impossible, in this case, to speak unequivocally about their problematic or emotional orientation. Along with the predominance of adaptive emotionallyoriented coping, maladaptive coping was also identified: 10.5% (suppression of emotions and emotional discharge;) and 8.5% (active avoidance), which, with prolonged accumulation, can pose a threat to health in the form of adaptation diseases, which indicates the need for a psychologist to conduct psychoprophylaxis. Conclusions. In extreme situations, self-esteem as a Self-concept is an evaluation indicator, and can participate in sublimation processes, i. e. in the processes of activating protective mechanisms in case of sudden threats to the life and health of employees; quantitative and qualitative assessment of the level of expression of self-esteem, i. e. the determination of its adequacy and adaptability, with participation in coping strategies, is an informative experimental part of this theoretical model and confirms the assumptions existing in the literature about the resourcing of self-esteem as a Self-concept under stress. More people with adequately normal and adequately inflated self-esteem tend to get into the ranks of the police, which contributes to the predominance of their choice of adaptive coping strategies in the form of optimism (88.2%).
Self-esteem and claims, I-(real, - ideal, -social), coping resources, coping strategies, defense mechanisms, coping behavior, police officers, stress
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/149138891
IDR: 149138891 | DOI: 10.24412/1999-6241-2022-188-18-24
Список литературы Resource model of the self-esteem structure and its impact on the stress-coping strategies of police officers
- Lazarus R., Folkman S. Stress, assessment and overcoming it. N.-Y., 1984.120 p.
- Hobfall S. Resource conservation. A new attempt at conceptualizing stress. American psychologist. 1989. No 3. Pp. 513–524.
- Hobfoll S. Influence of culture, community and identity in the process of stress: development of the theory of conservation of resources. Applied psychology: an international review. 2001. No 50. Pp. 337–421.
- Alvaro C., Lyons R. F., Warren G., Hobfoll S. E., Martens P. J., Labonte R., Brown R. E. Conservation of resources theory and research use in health systems. Implementation Science. 2010. No. 5. 79 p.
- Chovdyrova G. S. Methodological aspects of coping strategies of police officers in adapting to stress. International Conference “Scientific research of synergy and integration of the SCO countries”. Beijing, 2021. Pp. 144–153. https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8354-8009.
- Chovdyrova G. S. Pyatkina O. A. Theoretical aspects of the coping strategies of the individual in adapting to stress. Psychopedagogy in Law Enforcement. Vol. 25, No. 1(83). 2021. Pp. 41–47. https://orcid.org/10. 24411/1999-6241-2020. (In Russ.)
- Sirota N. A., Yaltonsky V. M. Coping-behavior and psycho-prevention of psychosocial disorders in adolescents. V. M. Bekhterev Review of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology. 1994. No. 1. Pp. 63–71. (In Russ.)
- Rogachev V. A., Konopleva I. N. The relationship of coping strategies of law enforcement officers with stylistic features of selfregulation. Psychology and Law. 2015. Vol. 5, No. 1. Pp. 129–146. URL: https://psyjournals.ru/psyandlaw/2015/n1/76161.shtml (accessed: 30.07.2021). (In Russ.)
- James W. Psychology. Transl. from English by Lapshin I. Moscow, 2020. 135 p. (In Russ.)
- Freud Z. Introduction to psychoanalysis. Lectures. Moscow, 1989. 345 p. (In Russ.).
- Rogers C. R. A look at psychotherapy. The formation of a person. Moscow, 1994. 480p. (In Russ.)
- Rogers C. R. A theory of therapy, personality, and interpersonal relationships, as developed in the client-centered framework. Psychology the study of a science. Vol. 3. Formulations of the person and the social context. N.-Y., 1959. Pp. 178–188.
- Cooley Charles Horton. Heredity or environment. Journal of Applied Sociology. No. 10. 2001. Pp. 303–307. (In Russ.)
- Erikson E. Childhood and society. Moscow, 2019. 448 p. (In Russ.)
- Burns Robert. The development of the Self-concept and education. Moscow, 1986. 160 p. (In Russ.)
- Mead G. Herbert. The mind, the Self, and society. 1934. The philosophy of the present. Edited by Murphy A. I. Moscow, 2014. 272 p. (In Russ.)
- Selye G. Essays on adaptation syndrome. Transl. from English by Kandror V. I. and Rogov A. A. Moscow, 1960. 254 p. (In Russ.)
- Festinger L. Theory of cognitive dissonance. Transl. by Anistratenko I., Shnachev. St. Petersburg, 1999. Pp. 315–317. (In Russ.)
- Antsyferova L. I. Personality in difficult life conditions: rethinking, transformation of situations and psychological protection. Psychological Journal. 1994. Vol. 15, No. 1. Pp. 3–18. (In Russ.)
- Kryukova T. L. Psychology of coping behavior. Kostroma, 2004. Pp. 184–188. (In Russ.)
- Nartova-Bochaver S. K. Copying behavior in the system of concepts of personality psychology. Psychological Journal. 1997. Vol. 18, No. 5. Pp. 20–30. (In Russ.)
- Bodrov V. A. Psychological stress: development and overcoming. Moscow, 2006. 180 p. (In Russ.)
- Lebedev I. B. Psychological mechanisms, strategies and resources of stress-overcoming behavior (coping behavior) of extreme specialists: on the example of employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia. Extended abstract of Doctor of sciences dissertation (in Psychology). St. Petersburg, 2002. 50 p. (In Russ.)
- Heim E. Copying and psychosocial adaptation. Journal of Mental Health Counseling. 1988. No. 10. Pp. 136–144.
- Budassi S. A. Protective mechanisms of personality. Moscow, 1998. 354 p. (In Russ.)