Mismatch between the Level of Training of IT Personnel and the Requirements of Employers: Problems and Solutions
Автор: Klimova Yu.O., Ustinova K.A.
Рубрика: Social and economic development
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The availability of qualified IT specialists is an important factor that contributes to the development of the digital economy. The need for personnel training for the IT industry is stated in the national project “Digital economy of the Russian Federation until 2024”. Educational organizations are an important source that supplies IT specialists for the economy. However, today there is an acute problem of inconsistency between the educational system and the labor market. The aim of the study is to identify problems of non-compliance of the level of IT personnel training with the requirements of employers, and to determine ways to address these problems (on the example of the Vologda Oblast). Using the data from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, we analyze the number of graduates in information technology-related fields in the Vologda Oblast. We also review educational programs at universities of the region and reveal problems in the formation of professional competencies in students. Based on the results of a survey conducted in 2020 by VolRC RAS, we have obtained information on the compliance of the level of competencies in graduates of IT specialties with the requirements of employers in the IT industry. In the final part of the article we highlight problems related to personnel training for the IT industry of the region and outline main ways to address them. Scientific novelty of our work consists in the application of a system-wide approach that help us study the viewpoints widespread in the education system and among employers, in order to identify problems related to the training of in-demand personnel for the IT industry. The materials of our study can be used by researchers, postgraduates and students who deal with the issues of digital economy development and those related to the staffing of this industry. Practical significance of our work lies in the fact that our proposals for solving the problems under consideration can be used by federal and regional authorities and management bodies, when it would be necessary to adjust plans for the implementation of national projects “Digital economy” and “Education”; our proposals should also be the basis for goal-setting and reflected in the tasks of other regulatory documents in the field of education at the federal and regional levels.
Digital economy, region, IT industry, IT personnel, IT personnel training
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234816
IDR: 147234816 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.12
Список литературы Mismatch between the Level of Training of IT Personnel and the Requirements of Employers: Problems and Solutions
- Freeman C., Soete L. The Economics of Industrial Innovation: A Study of Long Waves and Economic Development. Pinter: London, 1997.
- Schwab K. The Fourth Industrial Revolution. Penguin, 2017.
- Bell D. The Coming of Post-Industrial Society: A Venture in Social Forecasting. New York: Basic Books, 1999.
- Safronova A.A. Modern trends of development of information technologies industry. Transportnoe delo Rossii=Transport Business in Russia, 2013, no. 4, pp. 94–95 (in Russian).
- Schumpeter J.A. The theory of economic development: An inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest and the business cycle. Harvard Economic Studies, 1934, no. 46.
- Mazilov E.A., Davydova A.A. Scientific and technological development of Russia: State assessment and financing problems. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2020, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 55–73 (in Russian).
- Gainanov D.A., Kliment’eva A.Yu. The priorities of staffing the digital economy. Kreativnaya ekonomika=Journal of Creative Economy, 2018, no. 12, pp. 1963–1976 (in Russian).
- Vasil’eva E.V. Reproduction of staff of IT-branch. Scenario analysis. Mir novoi ekonomiki=The World of New Economy, 2016, no. 4, pp. 127–134 (in Russian).
- Zinenko G.V. Staff training in the field of information technology. Molodoi uchenyi=Young Scientist, 2017, no. 11(145), pp. 206–208 (in Russian).
- Agapov I. Personnel of the digital economy. Standart=Standard, 2019, no. 7–8(198–199), pp. 12–15 (in Russian).
- Bartlett W. The effectiveness of vocational education in promoting equity and occupational mobility amongst young people. Economic Annals, 2009, no. 54 (180), pp. 7–39.
- Klimova Yu.O. Analysis of staffing in the information technology industry at the federal and regional levels. Vestn. Omsk. un-ta=Herald of Omsk University, 2020, no. 1, pp. 126–139 (in Russian).
- Shpil’berg S.A. Staffing of the innovative economy. Vestn. Sibir. gos. aerokosm. un-ta im. akad. M.F. Reshetneva=Bulletin of the Siberian State Aerospace University, 2006, no. 2(9), pp. 145–149 (in Russian).
- Antoshina N.M. Formation of the personnel of the state civil service. Vlast’=The Authority, 2009, no. 5, pp. 8–10 (in Russian).
- Binert O.V. Staffing – the basis of the activities of any enterprise. Upravlenie sovremennoi organizatsiei: opyt, problemy i perspektivy=Management of a Modern Organization: Experience, Problems and Prospects, 2016, no. 1, pp. 397–401 (in Russian).
- Anisimova N.Yu. Organizational and economic mechanism of quality management of staffing of agroindustrial complex of the region. Vestn. Evraz. Nauk=The Eurasian Scientific Journal, 2018, no. 6, pp. 1–11 (in Russian).
- Barchan N.N., Kotov A.A., Chumachenko A.P. Management staffing: The decomposition of goals. Vestn. nauchn. konf=Bulletin of Scientific Conferences, 2017, no. 3–4(19), pp. 9–11 (in Russian).
- Nordin M., Persson I., Rooth D.-O. Education-occupation mismatch: Is there an income penalty? IZA Discussion Paper, 2008, no. 3806.
- Robst J. Education, college major and job match: Gender differences in reasons for mismatch. Education Economics, 2007, no. 15.
- Ustinova K.A., Popov A.V. Inclusion of young people in the work: mental barriers and ways to overcome them. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny=Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 2018, no. 6, pp. 333–346 (in Russian).
- Heckman J.J., Jacobs B. Policies to create and destroy human capital in Europe. IZA Discussion Paper, 2009, no. 4680.
- Klyucharev G.A., Latov Yu.V. Additional supplementary education and vocational training of graduates and young employees as a bridge between education system and labor market. Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost’=Social Sciences and Contemporary World, 2016, no. 1, pp. 20–33 (in Russian).
- Klimova Yu.O., Uskov V.S. Problems of competencies formation among IT-specialists in the Vologda Oblast universities. Voprosy territorial’nogo razvitiya=Territorial Development Issues, 2020, no. 5, pp. 1–15 (in Russian).
- Senashko V.S., Pykhtina N.A. Continuity of undergraduate and graduate programs as a key factor of the quality assurance in higher education. Vysshee obrazovanie v Rossii=Higher Education in Russia, 2017, no. 12(218), pp. 13–25 (in Russian).
- Dudyrev F.F., Romanova O.A., Shabalin A.I. Dual education in regions of Russia: Models, best practices, growth prospects. Voprosy obrazovaniya=Educational Studies Moscow, 2018, no. 2, pp. 117–138 (in Russian).