Comparative analysis of the energy efficiency of modern environmentally friendly computers
Автор: Barta Va Klrn, Szalay Zsigmond Gbor, Kovcs Rpd Endre
Статья в выпуске: 3 (21), 2018 года.
As a result of technological advances, the performance of computers is growing continuously, while at the same time, their energy consumption is growing, too. Computer development needs to focus increasingly on finding energy efficient solutions to keep the operation of supercomputer centers on a sustainable level. As a result, green computing is getting more and more important in the world of supercomputers as well. Our paper examines the technical data of supercomputers (HPC) - with a focus on performance and energy consumption - on TOP500 and Green500 lists released over the past 10 years. The computing capacity of the machines on the TOP500 list of the most powerful computers is growing exponentially. Until 2017 the rate of growth of the energy efficiency indicator was slower than that of the computing capacity, therefore the total energy consumption of the machines on the TOP500 list was continuously increasing. This trend seems to have changed; in the period from November 2016 to June 2017 the growth rate of the energy efficiency of supercomputers exceeded the increase in their computing capacity...
Green computing, energy efficiency, hpc, supercomputer, top500 list, green500 list, exascale computer
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/149131269
IDR: 149131269 | DOI: 10.15688/re.volsu.2018.3.8
Список литературы Comparative analysis of the energy efficiency of modern environmentally friendly computers
- Brooks R. The End of Moore’s Law. URL: https://rodneybrooks.com/the-end-of-moores-law/.
- Danilov S. Consolidate with Oracle Engineered Systems and Cut Your Costs. URL: https://www.slideshare.net/IPExpo/consolidate-with-oracleengineered-systems-and-cut-your-costs.
- Dongarra J.J., Luszczek P., Petitet A. The LINPACK Benchmark: Past, Present, and Future. July 2002. URL: http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/JackDongarra/PAPERS/hplpaper.pdf.
- Energy Efficient High Performance Computing Power Measurement Methodology (version 2.0 RC 1.0). Top500.org. URL: https://www.top500.org/static/media/uploads/methodology-2.0rc1.pdf.
- Feldman M. China Will Deploy Exascale Prototype This Year. URL: https://www.top500.org/news/china-will-deploy-exascale-prototype-this-year.
- Feldman M.Energy-Efficient Supercomputing Comes of Age with TOP500-Green500 Merge. URL: https://www.top500.org/news/energy-efficient-supercomputingcomes-of-age-with-top500-green500-merge.
- Feldman M. Moore’s Law Is Breaking Down, But That’s OK. URL: https://www.top500.org/news/mooreslaw-is-breaking-down-but-thats-ok.
- Feng W. On the Path to Energy-Efficient Exascale: A Perspective from the Green500. URL: https://synergy.cs.vt.edu/pubs/talks/140327-HPCC-Green500.pdf.
- Green500.org. URL: https://www.green500.org.
- Hill R. The Challenges of Energy Efficient Exascale Computing. URL: https://www.enterprisetech.com/2013/04/30/the_challenges_of_energy_efficient_exascale_computing.
- Hsu C.-H., Feng W.-C., Archuleta J.S. Towards Efficient Supercomputing:A Quest for the Right Metric. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, 2005. Proceedings 19th IEEE International. Denver, Colorado, IEEE Publ., 2005. 8 p.
- Hsu J. When Will We Have an Exascale Supercomputer? URL: http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/when-will-we-have-an-exascalesupercomputer.
- Koomey J., Brill K., et al. A Simple Model for Determining True Total Cost of Ownership for Data Centers. Uptime Institute White Paper, Version 2, 2007. 9 p.
- Murugesan S., Gangadharan G.R. Harnessing Green IT Principles and practices.Wiley Publ., 2012. 395 p.
- Obama B. Creating a National Strategic Computing Initiative. Executive Order 13702, Federal Register, 2015, 80.148: 46177.
- Rasmussen N. Determining Total Cost of Ownership for Data Center and Network Room Infrastructure. Schneider Electric. White Paper 6, 2011. 8 p.
- Simonite T. Moore’s Law Is Dead. Now What? MIT Technology Rewiev, 2016.
- Thibodeau P. Scientists, IT Community Await Exascale Computers. URL: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2550451/computer-hardware/scientists-it-community-await-exascale-computers.html.
- Top500.org. URL: https://www.top500.org.
- Trader T. Japan’s Post-K Computer Hits 1-2 Year Speed Bump. URL: https://www.hpcwire.com/2016/09/08/japan-post-k-computer-hits-1-2-year-speed-bump.