Relationship between fragmentized collective forestland, farmers investment and forest commodity output: an analysis on nine provinces farmers survey data in China
Автор: Kong Fanbin, Fan Bin, Chen Shendong
Рубрика: Branch-wise economy
Статья в выпуске: 2 (44) т.9, 2016 года.
The purpose of this study is to quantify the relationship between fragmentized collective forestland, farmers investment and forest commodity output to examine the rationality of collective forest right reform after dispersed forestland operation. The data is based on the 2420 farmers’ survey data in nine provinces of China including Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan, Sichuan, Zhejiang, Guangxi, Henan, Shandong and Liaoning. The results show that if S index is used, fragmentized forestland reaches 0.41 and can be ordered (from high to low) as Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Hunan, Liaoning, Sichuan, Fujian, Guangxi and Shandong. Under certain fragmentized intervals (forestland fragmentized ratio lower than 0.22 or higher than 0.51), the higher the forestland fragmentized, the lower the farmers investment. The investment-output model indicates that forest block reflects the negative impacts to forest output while other variables such as labor, tangible inputs and forestland have positive impacts. When bamboo is produced, level of fragmentation has negative impacts on forestland acreage and significant positive impacts on labor used. The study implies that after the land is divided to households, physical investment is the key factor to affect the commodity output and should be considered by the related policies to increase the incentives of farmers. Based on this study, we provide some information and guidance on policy of farmers’ forestland operation in large scale.
Collective forest rights reform, fragmentized forestland, farmers' investment, forest commodity output
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147223816
IDR: 147223816 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2016.2.44.10
Список литературы Relationship between fragmentized collective forestland, farmers investment and forest commodity output: an analysis on nine provinces farmers survey data in China
- Binns B. О. The Сonsolidation of Fragmented Agricultural Holdings. FAO Agriculture Studies, 11. Washington DC, 1950.
- Buek J. L. Land utilization in China. London: Oxford University Press, 1964.
- Di S. Opinion on Forest Corporation. Forest Economics, 1994, no. 1, pp. 2-68.
- Gao L. Discussion on Collective Forest Business Analysis. Forest Economic Problems, 2007, no. 8, pp. 376-379.
- Jia Z. Effect of Forest Reform. Special Issue of National Forest Bureau. 2009. Available at: http://www.forestry.gov.cn/ZhuantiAction.do? Dispatch=content&id=303242&name=lqgg
- King R.L., Burton. S.R. Land Fragmentation, a Fundamental Rural Partial Problem. Progress in Human Geography, 1982, no. 6, pp. 475-494.
- Kong F. Collective Forest Rights System: Transition, Effects and Discovery. China Environmental Science Press, 2008, no. 11, p. 104.
- Li J., Wang F. Practice of Sweden Private Forest Operation. Forest Economics, 2003, no. 5, pp. 52-53.
- Li Z, Yan Z. Overview of World Private Forest. China Forest Press, 2001.
- Liu B. Discussion on Corporation and Forest Business Reform. Forestry and Society, 2000, no. 6, pp. 47-49.
- Lu W. Research on Chinese Private Forest Business. China Environmental Science Press, 2002, no. 6, pp. 56-57.
- Luo L., Li H. Debates on Forest Scaling Operation. Hunan Forestry, 1999, no. 5, p. 12.
- Wadud A., White B. Farm Household Efficiency in Bangladesh: A Comparison of Stochastic Frontier and DEA Methods. Applied Economics, 2000, no. 32, pp. 1665-1673.
- Wang J. Practice of Private Forest Cooperation in Japan. World Forestry Research, 2009, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1-5.
- Song Y. Burch Jr. W. Geballe G. Liping G. New Organizational Strategy for Managing the Forests of Southeast China. The share Holding Integrated Forestry Tenure (SHIFT) System. Forest Ecology and Management, 1997, vol. 91, no. 2-3, pp. 183-194.
- Zeng H., Nie Y., Wang J. Trend of Small Scale Forest Operation and Foreign Experience. World Forestry Research, 2009, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 19-22.
- Zhang L., Huang J., Rozelle S. Land Policy and Land Use in China. Agricultural Policies in China, 1997.