Modern ways to boost economic growth in regions
Автор: Balatsky Evgeny V., Ekimova Natalya A.
Рубрика: Scientific reviews
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.13, 2020 года.
The paper reviews Russian and foreign research on modern ways to boost regional economic growth on the example of regional development institutions. We have chosen project management and regional development agencies as the most promising institutions for regional development. The growing interest in project management is confirmed by the data of the international database ScienceDirect, in which the number of articles on this topic for 1996-2019 was 19.5 thousand, and their annual number has increased 3.8-fold during this period. There is a similar trend in Russia: according to the electronic library eLIBRARY.RU the number of articles on this topic for the period from 2000 to 2019 has increased 87.5-fold, and their total number for this period was 1.2 thousand. Our main research method is cross-country comparative analysis. We investigate advantages and disadvantages of project financing on the examples of the Sydney Opera House (Australia), the Olympic Stadium in Montreal (Canada), the Concorde supersonic airliner (France-UK), the Suez Canal (Egypt), the Hubble Space Telescope (USA-EU), the Humber Bridge (UK). While studying international experience of regional development agencies, we have classified them into three types: agencies for ensuring regional leveling within the country (Scotland, Australia, Canada); agencies for ensuring economic leveling within an international association of countries (EU-Poland, Romania, Portugal); agencies that help countries join the world’s leading nations on the basis of the innovative economy (China, Malaysia, Botswana). A summary analysis of the works that study the activities of regional development agencies has allowed us to present the institutions under consideration on a system-wide basis and to identify their weak and strong points that should be taken into account in the development of this tool that helps enhance economic growth in Russia’s regions.
Regional management, regional development institutions, project management, project financing, regional development agencies
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225469
IDR: 147225469 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.3.69.6
Список литературы Modern ways to boost economic growth in regions
- Polterovich V.M. Institutions of catching-up development (on the project of a new model for economic development of Russia). Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2016, no. 5 (47), pp. 34–56. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2016.5.47.2. (in Russian)
- Popov E.V., Vlasov M.V., Simakhina M.O. Institutes of regional development of economy of knowledge. Regional’naya ekonomika: teoriya i praktika=Regional Economics: Theory and Practice, 2010, no. 4, pp. 2–7. (in Russian)
- Tatarkin A.I., Kotlyarova S.N. Regional development institutions as an economic growth factors. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2013, no. 3 (35), pp. 18–26. DOI: 10.17059/2013-3-1. (in Russian)
- Balatsky E.V., Ekimova N.A., Yurevich M.A. Formation of regional development institutes in Russia. Munitsipal’naya akademiya=Municipal Academy, 2019, no. 3, pp. 95–100. (in Russian)
- Balatsky E.V. Regional investment forums in Russia: Attractiveness assessment. Mir izmerenii=Measurements World, 2011, no. 11(129), pp. 42–50. (in Russian)
- Balatsky E.V. Russian investment forums as the regional development institute. Zhurnal novoi ekonomicheskoi assotsiatsii=Journal of the New Economic Association, 2013, no. 2 (18), pp. 101–128. (in Russian)
- Moiseev V.V., Nitsevich V.V., Nitsevich V.F. Power and business solutions to the problems of investments in Russia and the regions. Izvestiya Tul’skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Gumanitarnye nauki=Bulletin of Tula State University. Humanities, 2013, no. 4, pp. 330–340. (in Russian)
- Yurevich M. “Terminal diseases” of regional investment forums. Why they close. Kapital strany=Capital of the Country, 2016. Available at: http://kapital-rus.ru/articles/article/smertelnye_bolezni_regionalnyh_investicionnyh_forumov_pochemu_oni_zakryvaut/ (accessed: 18.04.2020). (in Russian)
- Jasimuddin S. Foreign investment in Bangladesh: Character and perspective. Asian Affairs, 1994, vol. 25, pp. 163–168. DOI:10.1080/738552619.
- Polterovich V.M. Federal development agency: It is necessary to design and implement successful strategies. Problemy teorii i praktiki upravleniya=Management of Theory and Practice, 2018, no. 3, pp. 35–41. (in Russian)
- Polterovich V.M. Regional modernization institutions. Ekonomicheskaya nauka sovremennoi Rossii=Economics of Contemporary Russia, 2011, no. 4 (55), pp. 17–29. (in Russian)
- Lugovskoi R.A., Tsvetkova T.B. Planirovanie i regulirovanie sotsial’no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Rossii [Planning and Management of Socio-Economic Development of Russia]. St. Petersburg: RGGMU, 2011. 110 p.
- Polterovich V.M. Reform of the project activity state system, 2018–2019. Terra Economicus=Terra Economicus, 2020, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 6–27. DOI: 10.18522/2073-6606-2020-18-1-6-27. (in Russian)
- Vafin A.M. Indicative planning as an instrument of implementation of industrial policy in the region. Vestnik ekonomiki, prava i sotsiologii=The Review of Economy, the Law and Sociology, 2013, no. 2, pp. 32–35. (in Russian)
- Charkina E.S. Razvitie proektnogo podkhoda v sisteme gosudarstvennogo upravleniya: metodologiya, opyt, problemy: Nauchnyi doklad [Development of Project Approach in Public Administration: Methodology, Experience, Problems. Science Research Report]. Moscow: IE RAN, 2017. 54 p.
- Terry L. Administrative leadership, neo-managerialism, and the public management movement. Public Administration Review, 1998, vol. 58, iss. 3, pp. 194–200. DOI: 10.2307/976559.
- Graham J., Amos B., Plumptre T. Principles for good governance in the 21-st century. Policy Brief, 2003, no. 15. Available at: https://docplayer.net/21638341-Policy-brief-principles-for-good-governance-in-the-21-st-centurypolicy-brief-no-15-august-2003-by-john-graham-bruce-amos-tim-plumptre.html
- Argynades D. Good governance, professionalism, ethics and responsibility. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 2006, vol. 72, iss. 2, pp. 155–170. DOI: 10.1177/0020852306064607.
- Smotritskaya I.I., Saginova O.V., Sharova I.V. State enterprising and development of the Russian economy. Vestnik Instituta ekonomiki RAN=The Bulletin of the Institute of Economics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2015, no. 1, pp. 97–108. (in Russian)
- Vasilyev A.I., Prokofyev S.E. Project management organisation in public authorities. Upravlencheskie nauki=Management Science in Russia, 2016, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 44–52. (in Russian)
- Munns A.K., Bjeirmi B.F. The role of project management in achieving project success. International Journal of Project Management, 1996, vol. 14, iss. 2, pp. 81–87. DOI: 10.1016/0263-7863(95)00057-7.
- Shenhar A.J., Driv D. Toward a typological theory of project management. Research Policy, 1996, vol. 25, iss. 4, pp. 607–632. DOI: 10.1016/0048-7333(95)00877-2.
- Scott-Conner C.E.H., Grubbs M.R. Project management techniques applicable within the department of surgery.Journal of Surgical Research, 1996, vol. 65, iss. 1, pp. 87–91. DOI: 10.1006/jsre.1996.0348.
- Ekmark U., Nelson J., Martensson N. The project management process in manufacturing systems engineering. CIRP Annals, 1997, vol. 46, iss. 1, pp. 339–342. DOI: 10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60838-5.
- Hartman F., Ashrafi R., Jergeas G. Project management in the live entertainment industry: What is different? International Journal of Project Management, 1998, vol. 16, iss. 5, pp. 269–281. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00056-2.
- Yang M.L., Chuah K.B., Rao Tummala V.M., Chen E.H. Project management practices in Pudong, a new economic development area of Shanghai, China. International Journal of Project Management, 1997, vol. 15, iss. 5, pp. 313–319. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(96)00084-1.
- Voropajev V. I. Project management development for transitional economies (Russian case study). International Journal of Project Management, 1998, vol. 16, iss. 5, pp. 283–292. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00026-4.
- Ahlemann F., Teuteberg F., Vogelsang K. Project management standards – Diffusion and application in Germany and Switzerland. International Journal of Project Management, 2009, vol. 27, iss. 3, pp. 292–303. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2008.01.009.
- Pinto R., Domingues C. Characterization of the Practice of project management in 30 Portuguese metalworking companies. Procedia Technology, 2012, vol. 5, pp. 83–92. DOI: 10.1016/j.protcy.2012.09.010.
- Alias Z., Baharum Z.A., Idris M.F. Project management towards best practice. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2012, vol. 68, pp. 108–120. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.12.211.
- Graham R. Managing the project management process in aerospace and construction: A comparative approach. International Journal of Project Management, 1999, vol. 17, iss. 1, pp. 39–45. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(97)00072-0.
- Cooke-Davies T.J, Arzymanow A. The maturity of project management in different industries: An investigation into variations between project management models. International Journal of Project Management, 2003, vol. 21, iss. 6, pp. 471–478. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(02)00084-4.
- Chen P., Partington D. An interpretive comparison of Chinese and Western conceptions of relationships in construction project management work. International Journal of Project Management, 2004, vol. 22, iss. 5, pp. 397–406. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2003.09.005.
- Bredillet C., Yatim F., Ruiz Ph. Project management deployment: The role of cultural factors. International Journal of Project Management, 2010, vol. 28, iss. 2, pp. 183–193. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.10.007.
- Mullner J. International project finance: Review and implications for international finance and international business. Management Review Quarterly, 2017, vol. 67, iss. 2, pp. 97–133. DOI: 10.1007/s11301-017-0125-3.
- Pereverzeva V.V., Yurieva T.V. Project finance in the project management system. ETAP: Ekonomicheskaya Teoriya, Analiz, Praktika=ETAP: Economic Theory, Analysis, and Practice, 2017, no. 5, pp. 36–45. (in Russian)
- Nikonova I.A., Smirnov A.L. Proektnoe finansirovanie v Rossii. Problemy i napravleniya razvitiya [Project Financing in Russia. Problems and Directions of Development]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo “Konsaltbankir”, 2016. 216 p.
- Yescombe E.R. Printsipy proektnogo upravleniya [Principles of Policy and Finance]. Moscow: OOO “Al’pina Pablisher”, 2016. 408 p.
- Esty B.С., Chavich C, Sesia A. An overview of project finance and infrastructure finance – 2014 update. Boston: Harvard Business School, 2014. 42 p.
- Subramanian K.V., Tung F. Law and project finance. Journal of Financial Intermediation, 2016, vol. 25, pp. 154–177. DOI: 10.1016/j.jfi.2014.01.001.
- Todorov T.S. Evaluating Project and program management as factor for socio-economic development within EU. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2014, vol. 119, pp. 819–828. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.03.092.
- Kleimeier S., Versteeg R. Project finance as a driver of economic growth in low-income countries. Review of Financial Economics, 2010, vol. 19, iss. 2, pp. 49–59. DOI: 10.1016/j.rfe.2010.01.002.
- Dvoretskaya A.E. Project financing: New trends and machanisms. Bankovskoe delo=Bankovskoe delo, 2019, no. 5, pp. 4–13. (in Russian)
- Zimbalist A. Circus maximus: The economic gamble behind hosting the Olympics and the World Cup. Washington: Brookings Institution Press, 2015. 174 p.
- Shvydko A.O. Project financing as a tool for achieving national goals. Upravlenie ekonomicheskimi sistemami: elektronnyi nauchnyi zhurnal=Management of Economic Systems: Scientific Electronic Journal, 2018, no. 9 (115), p. 54. (in Russian)
- Eroglu N., Eroglu I., Ozturk M., Aydin H.I. Development agencies on the way to regional development: Romania-Turkey comparison. Procedia of Economics and Business Administration, 2014, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 214–221.
- Halkier H., Danson M. Regional development agencies in Western Europe: A survey of key characteristics and trends. European Urban and Regional Studies, 1997, vol. 4 (3), pp. 243–256. DOI:10.1177/096977649700400304.
- Toktas Y., Sevinc H., Bozkurt E. The evolution of regional development agencies: Turkey case. Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, 2013, vol. 15, iss. 2, pp. 670–681.
- Toktas Y., Botoc C., Kunu S., Prozan R. The regional development agency experiences of Turkey and Romania. Business and Economics Research Journal, 2018, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 253–270. DOI:10.20409/berj.2018.103.
- Yuill D. Regional Development Agencies in Europe. Aldershot: Gower, 1982. 449 p.
- Halkier H., Danson M., Dambor C. Regional Development Agencies in Europe. London: Jessica Kingsley, 1998.374 p. DOI:10.4324/9781315000206.
- Halkier H. Development agencies and regional policy: The case of the Scottish development agency. Regional Politics and Policy, 1992, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1–26. DOI:10.1080/13597569208420846.
- Balatsky E.V. Regional development agencies and their features: International experience. Kapital strany=Capital of the Country, 2012. Available at: http://kapital-rus.ru/articles/article/agentstva_regionalnogo_razvitiya_i_ih_osobennosti_mezhdunarodnyj_opyt/ (accessed: 18.04.2020). (in Russian)
- Maude A., Beer A. Regional development agencies in Australia: A Comparative evaluation of institutional strengths and weaknesses. The Town Planning Review, 2000, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 1–24. DOI:10.3828/tpr.71.1.y7227415l8171674.
- Hughes J., Sasse G., Gordon C. Europeanization and Regionalization in the EU’s Enlargement to Central and Eastern Europe. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004. 231 p. DOI:10.1057/9780230503182.
- Özen P. Bölge kalkınma ajansları. TEPAV, 2005. Available at: https://www.tepav.org.tr/upload/files/1271245092r8246.Bolgesel_Kalkinma_Ajanslari.pdf
- Salvador R., Juliao R.P. Regional development agencies in Portugal. In: 40th Congress of the European Regional Science Association “European Monetary Union and Regional Policy”, 2000. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cc18/61711fafa6beaea0bae1e0ad8cc39a9a0dc6.pdf?_ga=2.42817901.919716742.1587215455-1302553556.1585572547.
- Regional’naya politika stran ES [Regional Policy of EU Countries]. Edit. by A.V. Kuznetsov. Moscow: IMEMO RAN, 2009. 230 p.
- Benedek J., Horvath R. Regional development in Romania. In: Baun M., Marek D. EU regional policy after enlargement. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008. 226–247 p. Available at: https://www.regionalstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/countryreps-romania.pdf.
- Florescu I.C. The regional development in Romania based on the European Union funds for 2014–2020. In: The 26th International Business Information Management Association Conference. Madrid, 2015. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303819710_The_regional_development_in_Romania_based_on_the_ European_Union_funds_for_2014-2020/.
- Burgess Е.W., McKenzie R.D., Park R.E. The City. Chicago, Illinois: The University of Chicago Press, 1925. 240 p.
- Ekimova N.A. Regional development corporations: Chronicle of failures. Kapital strany=Capital of the Country, 2016. Available at: http://kapital-rus.ru/articles/article/korporacii_regionalnogo_razvitiya_hronika_neudach/ (accessed: 18.04.2020).