Human health in the arctic: socio-spatial discourse (case study of the Yamalo-Nenets autonomous okrug)
Автор: Markin Valerii V., Silin Anatolii N., Vershinin Ivan S.
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.13, 2020 года.
The purpose of the research presented in the article is to study the attitude of various social groups of residents of the Far North - the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation to health, taking into account extreme natural and climatic conditions. Geospatial conditions are imposed by the socio-spatial vector of development of the Russian Arctic, which should coordinate neo-industrial development of certain parts of this territory, the formation of a new transport and logistics system, and the reproduction of the agro-industrial complex. There are groups of actors in each of the identified areas, who carry out their activities in the Arctic territories on a permanent or temporary basis, which makes the northerners' health issues highly specific and requiring a comprehensive analysis, including the sociological one. The scientific novelty of the research and its results presented in the article consists in a combination of geo- and socio-spatial approaches to studying the attitude to health among various social groups of northerners, and analysis of their specifics in Arctic conditions. The Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug is the base region of the study. Its health care system has both positive results and unresolved issues in the field of population health. The authors reveal the possibilities of its further improvement based on sociological and interdisciplinary research from a systemic perspective, taking into account the fact that the main resources of health saving are lifestyle, nutrition, quality medical care, and the environment. The authors note that the situation significantly differs in large and small cities of the Arctic, villages and shift settlements, and among nomads in the tundra. The materials of statistics, mass representative surveys, and comparative expert assessments are analyzed. The research findings illustrate the identified opportunities for improving the health of different groups of the Arctic population and indicate the need to significantly strengthen the comprehensive scientific support of Arctic projects, including sociological monitoring. The materials and results of the work are particularly relevant due to the upcoming Russia's presidency in the international Arctic Council.
Arctic, health, social space, health-saving factors, sociological research
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225488
IDR: 147225488 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.5.71.11
Список литературы Human health in the arctic: socio-spatial discourse (case study of the Yamalo-Nenets autonomous okrug)
- Markin V.V. Circumpolar region amid socio-spatial transformation of a territory (case study of Yamal). Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2016, no. 6 (48), pp. 28–52. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2016.6.48.2 (in Russian).
- Markin V.V., Silin A.N. Human and social potential of neo-industrial development of the Arctic: Sociological analysis, modeling, and regulation. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2017, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 75–88. DOI: 10.15838/esc/2017.6.54.5 (in Russian).
- Markin V.V., Silin A.N., Voronov V.V. Educational opportunities for young people of indigenous minorities of the North: Social and spatial discourse. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2019, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 141–154. DOI: 10.15838/ esc.2019.5.65.9 (in Russian).
- Young K. Arctic health in Russia. Int J Circumpolar Health, 2013, 72: 20724.
- Jensen P.E., Hennessy T.W, Kallenborn R. Water, sanitation, pollution, and health in the Arctic. Environ SciPollut Res Int., 2018, 25(33): 32827–32830.
- Donaldson S., Adlard B., Odland J.Ø. Overview of human health in the Arctic: conclusions and recommendations. Int J Circumpolar Health, 2016, 75: 33807.
- Weihe P., Debes F., Halling J., Petersen M. S., Muckle G., Odland J.Ø., Dudarev A., Ayotte P., Dewailly É., Grandjean P., Bonefeld-Jørgensen E. Health effects associated with measured levels of contaminants in the Arctic. Int J Circumpolar Health, 2016, 75: 33805.
- Weihe P., Bjerregaard P., Bonefeld-Jørgensen E., Dudarev A, Halling J., Hansen S., Muckle G., Nøst T., Odland J.Ø., Petersen M.S., Rautio A., Veyhe A.S., Wennberg M., Bergdahl I. Overview of ongoing cohort and dietary studies in the Arctic. Int J Circumpolar Health, 2016, 75: 33803.
- Prokhorov B.B. Meditsinskaya geografiya kak nauka [Medical Geography as a Science]. Leningrad: Nauka. 1989. 198 p.
- Simmel G. Sotsiologiya prostranstva [Sociology of space]. Selected works in two volumes. Moscow,1996. Vol. 2. 287 p.
- Bourdieu P. Sotsiologiya politiki [Sociology of Politics]. Translated from French, compiled, edited and foreword by N.A. Shmatko. Moscow, 1993. 333 p.
- Fundamental’nye problemy prostranstvennogo razvitiya Rossiiskoi Federatsii: mezhdistsiplinarnyi sintez [Fundamental Issues of the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation: An Interdisciplinary Synthesis]. Ed. by the Academician V.M. Kotlyakov. Moscow: Media-Press, 2012. 662 p.
- Regional’naya sotsiologiya: problemy konsolidatsii sotsial’nogo prostranstva Rossii [Regional Sociology: Problems of Consolidating the Social Space of Russia]. Ed. by V.V. Markin. Moscow: Novyi khronograf, 2015. 600 p.
- Rossiiskoe obshchestvo: transformatsii v regional’nom diskurse (itogi 20-letnikh izmerenii) [Russian Society: Transformation in the Regional Discourse (the Results of 20 Years of Measurements)]. Team of authors; under the scientific supervision of RAS Academician Doctor of Philosophy M.K. Gorshkov and Doctor of Economics Professor V.A. Ilyin. Vologda: ISERT RAN, 2015. 446 p.
- Shabunova A.A. Zdorov’e naseleniya v Rossii: sostoyanie i dinamika [Public Health in Russia: State and Dynamics]. Vologda: ISERT RAN, 2010. 406 p.
- Zdorov’e i zdravookhranenie v gendernom izmerenii [Health and Health Care in a Gender Dimension]. Ed. by N.M. Rimashevskoi. Moscow: Sotsial’nyi proekt, 2007. 204 p.
- Zhuravleva I.V. Otnoshenie k zdorov’yu individa i obshchestva [Attitude to Health of the Individual and Society]. In-t sotsiologii RAN. Moscow: Nauka, 2006. 238 p.
- Kovaleva A.A. Self-care behavior in the system of health affecting factors. Zhurnal sotsiologii i sotsial’noi antropologii=The Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology, 2008, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 179–191 (in Russian).
- Agbalyan E.V., Shinkaruk E.V., Kobelev V.O. 25-year trend of the primary morbidity of the population of the Yamal-Nenets autonomous district. Nauchnyi vestnik YaNAO=Scientific Bulletin of Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District, 2018, no. 4 (101), pp. 49–55 (in Russian).
- Akimov A.M., Gafarov V.V., Silin A.N. Attitude to health of men in an unorganized population depending on their social status. Profilakticheskaya meditsina=Russian Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 2014, no. 2, pp. 5–11 (in Russian).
- Ametistova L.E., Knizhnikov A.Yu. Ekologicheskie aspekty SPG-proektov v arkticheskikh usloviyakh [Environmental Aspects of Arctic LNG Projects Development]. Moscow: Vsemirnyi fond dikoi prirody (WWF), 2016. 48 p.
- Gapon L.I., Shurkevich N.P., Vetoshkin A.S., Gubin D.G. Arterial’naya gipertoniya v usloviyakh Tyumenskogo Severa. Disinkhronoz i giperreaktivnost’ organizma kak faktory formirovaniya bolezni [Arterial Hypertension in the Conditions of the Tyumen North. Desynchronosis and Hyperreactivity of the Body as Factors in the Formation of the Disease]. Moscow: Meditsinskaya kniga, 2009. 208 p.
- Golubchikov S.N., Khimenkov N.A., Erokhin S.V. Medical and ecological problems of improving the living environment of northerners. Energiya=Energy, 2003, no. 4, pp. 54–57 (in Russian).
- Kvashnina S.I. Zdorov’e naseleniya na Severe Rossii (sotsial’no-gigienicheskie i ekologicheskie problemy): monografiya [Health of the Population in the North of Russia (Social, Hygienic and Ecological Problems): Monograph]. Ukhta UGTU, 2001.
- Polikarpov L.S., Yaskevich R.A., Derevyannykh E.V. et al. Ishemicheskaya bolezn’ serdtsa, osobennosti klinicheskogo techeniya v usloviyakh Krainego Severa [Ischemic Heart Disease, Features of the Clinical Course in the Far North]. Krasnoyarsk: KrasGMU, 2011. 310 p.
- Chashchin V.P. et al. Characteristics of the main risk factors for health disorders of the population living in the territory of active nature management in the Arctic. Ekologiya cheloveka=Human Ecology, 2014, no. 1, pp. 3–12 (in Russian).
- Popova T.L., Popov A.I. Socio-psychological factors that determine health and way of life of the inhabitants of the Arctic region of Yamal. Nauchnyi vestnik YaNAO=Scientific Bulletin of Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District, 2016, no. 4 (93), pp. 133–138 (in Russian).
- Bogdanova E.N., Zadorin M.Yu., Lobanov A.A., Popov A.I. et al. The right to health protection of indigenous peoples of the Russian Arctic: “collision field” and search for new solutions. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta=Tomsk State University Journal , 2018, no. 432, pp. 210–217 (in Russian).
- Kozyreva P. M., Smirnov A. I. Russian citizens’ health self-assessment dynamics: Relevant trends of the Post-Soviet era. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya=Sociological Studies, 2020, no. 4, pp. 70–81. DOI: 1031857/SOI3216250009116-0 (in Russian).
- Kaneva M.A., Baidin V.M. Heterogeneity in reporting self-assessed health of the Russians. Prikladnaya ekonomometrika=Applied Econometrics, 2018, vol. 51, pp. 102–125 (in Russian).
- Morev M.V. Health and lifestyles of youth: gender aspect (after the results of the survey of students in Vologda and Lublin). Narodonaselenie=Population, 2012, no. 4, pp. 100–114 (in Russian).
- Akimov A.M., Barbakov O.M., Belonozhko M.L. et al. Zdorov’esberezhenie uchastnikov osvoeniya arkticheskogo neftegazovogo regiona: monografiya [Health Preservation of Participants in the Development of the Arctic Oil and Gas Region: Monograph]. Ed. by A.N. Silin, V.V. Markin. Tyumen: TIU, 2019. 171 p.
- Khurtsilava O.G., Chashchin V.P., Mel’tser A.V. et al. Pollution of the environment with persistent toxic substances and prevention of their harmful impact on the health of the indigenous population residing in the arctic zone of the Russian Federation. Gigiena i sanitariya=Hygiene and sanitation, 2017, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 409–414 (in Russian).
- Vloshchinsky P.E., Panin L.E. Dietary Patterns, State of Energy Metabolism and Endocrine Status in Organized Groups in the North. Vestnik Ural’skoi meditsinskoi akademicheskoi nauki=Journal of Ural Medical Academic Science, 2014, no. 2 (48), pp. 11–15 (in Russian).