Conceptual analysis of different clustering techniques for static security investigation
Автор: Bassam A. Hemade, Hamed A. Ibrahim, Hossam E. A. Talaat
Статья в выпуске: 2 vol.11, 2019 года.
Power system contingency studies play a pivotal role in maintaining the security and integrity of modern power system operation. However, the number of possible contingencies is enormous and mostly vague. Therefore, in this paper, two well-known clustering techniques namely K-Means (KM) and Fuzzy C-Means (FCM) are used for contingency screening and ranking. The performance of both algorithms is comparatively investigated using IEEE 118-bus test system. Considering various loading conditions and multiple outages, the IEEE 118-bus contingencies have been generated using fast-decoupled power flow (FDPF). Silhouette analysis and fuzzy partition coefficient techniques have been profitably exploited to offer an insight view of the number of centroids. Moreover, the principal component analysis (PCA) has been used to extract the dominant features and ensure the consistency of passed data with artificial intelligence algorithms’ requirements. Although analysis of comparison results showed excellent compatibility between the two clustering algorithms, the FCM model was found more suitable for power system static security investigation.
Artificial intelligence, cascading outages, contingency screening and ranking, fuzzy c-means, k-means
Короткий адрес: https://readera.ru/15016570
IDR: 15016570 | DOI: 10.5815/ijisa.2019.02.04
Список литературы Conceptual analysis of different clustering techniques for static security investigation
- Z. Guorui, S. Kai, H. Chen, R. Carroll, and L. Yilu, "Application of synchrophasor measurements for improving operator situational awareness," in IEEE Power Energy Soc, Gen. Meeting, 2011, pp. 1-8.
- X. Wei, S. Gao, T. Huang, E. Bompard, R. Pi, and T. Wang, "Complex Network Based Cascading Faults Graph for the Analysis of Transmission Network Vulnerability," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., 2018.
- G. Ejebe and B. Wollenberg, "Automatic contingency selection," IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., no. 1, pp. 97-109, 1979.
- D. Chatterjee, J. Webb, Q. Gao, M. Y. Vaiman, M. M. Vaiman, and M. Povolotskiy, "N-1-1 AC contingency analysis as a part of NERC compliance studies at midwest ISO," in IEEE PES T&D 2010, pp. 1-7.
- Y. Duan and B. Zhang, "Security risk assessment using fast probabilistic power flow considering static power-frequency characteristics of power systems," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 60, pp. 53-58, 2014.
- D. S. Javan, H. Rajabi Mashhadi, S. A. Toussi, and M. Rouhani, "On-line voltage and power flow contingencies ranking using enhanced radial basis function neural network and kernel principal component analysis," Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 534-555, 2012.
- Y. Sun and X. Tang, "Cascading failure analysis of power flow on wind power based on complex network theory," Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 411-421, 2014.
- J. Yan, Y. Tang, H. He, and Y. Sun, "Cascading failure analysis with DC power flow model and transient stability analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 285-297, 2015.
- A. M. L. da Silva, J. L. Jardim, L. R. de Lima, and Z. S. Machado, "A method for ranking critical nodes in power networks including load uncertainties," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 1341-1349, 2016.
- S. P. Nangrani and S. S. Bhat, "Power system security assessment using ranking based on combined MW-chaotic performance index," in TENCON 2015 - 2015 IEEE Region 10 Conference, 2015, pp. 1-6.
- P. Paenyoorat, "The application of genetic algorithms to identify the worst credible states in a bulk power system," Ph.D. Ph.D. , University of Missouri/Rolla, 2006.
- Vaiman et al., "Risk Assessment of Cascading Outages: Methodologies and Challenges," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 631-641, 2012.
- J. V. Canto dos Santos, I. F. Costa, and T. Nogueira, "New genetic algorithms for contingencies selection in the static security analysis of electric power systems," Expert Syst. with Applications, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 2849-2856, 2015.
- J. M. Arroyo and F. J. Fernández, "Application of a genetic algorithm to n-K power system security assessment," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 49, pp. 114-121, 2013.
- R. Sunitha, S. K. Kumar, and A. T. Mathew, "Online static security assessment module using artificial neural networks," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 4328-4335, 2013.
- T. S. Sidhu and L. Cui, "Contingency screening for steady-state security analysis by using FFT and artificial neural networks," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 421-426, 2000.
- R. Sunitha, R. K. Sreerama, and A. T. Mathew, "A Composite Security Index for On-line Steady-state Security Evaluation," Electr. Power Compon. Syst., vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1-14, 2011.
- J. Li and S. Huang, "A vulnerability model for power system dynamic security assessment," Int. J. Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol. 62, pp. 59-65, 2014.
- R. Baldick et al., "Vulnerability assessment for cascading failures in electric power systems," in IEEE/PES Power Syst. Conf. Expo., 2009, pp. 1-9.
- C. Pang and M. Kezunovic, "Static security analysis based on weighted vulnerability index," in IEEE Power Energy Soc, Gen. Meeting, 2011, pp. 1-6.
- S. Hongbiao and M. Kezunovic, "Static Security Analysis based on Vulnerability Index (VI) and Network Contribution Factor (NCF) Method," in IEEE/PES Trans. Distrib. Conf. Expo. Asia and Pacific, 2005, pp. 1-7.
- Y. Xingbin and C. Singh, "A practical approach for integrated power system vulnerability analysis with protection failures," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1811-1820, 2004.
- A. M. A. Haidar, A. Mohamed, and F. Milano, "A computational intelligence-based suite for vulnerability assessment of electrical power systems," Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 533-546, 2010.
- N. Bhatt et al., "Assessing vulnerability to cascading outages," in IEEE/PES Power Syst. Conf. Expo., 2009, pp. 1-9.
- G. Ejebe, G. Irisarri, S. Mokhtari, O. Obadina, P. Ristanovic, and J. Tong, "Methods for contingency screening and ranking for voltage stability analysis of power systems," in Power Industry Computer Application Conf., 1995, pp. 249-255: IEEE.
- E. F. D. Cruz, A. N. Mabalot, R. C. Marzo, M. C. Pacis, and J. H. S. Tolentino, "Algorithm development for power system contingency screening and ranking using voltage-reactive power performance index," in IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016, pp. 2232-2235: IEEE.
- S. Grillo, S. Massucco, A. Pitto, and F. Silvestro, "Indices for fast contingency ranking in large electric power systems," in IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conf. (MELECON), 2010, pp. 660-666: IEEE.
- M. Pandit, L. Srivastava, and J. Sharma, "Cascade fuzzy neural network based voltage contingency screening and ranking," Electr. Power Syst. Research, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 143-152, 2003.
- C. F. Agreira, C. M. Ferreira, J. D. Pinto, and F. M. Barbosa, "The performance indices to contingencies screening," in Int. Conf. Prob. Methods Applied to Power Systems, PMAPS 2006, pp. 1-8: IEEE.
- M. Pandit, L. Srivastava, and J. Sharma, "Fast voltage contingency selection using fuzzy parallel self-organizing hierarchical neural network," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 657-664, 2003.
- K. Hyungchul and S. Chanan, "Steady state and dynamic security assessment in composite power systems," in Proceedings of the 2003 Int. Symposium on Circuits and Systems, ISCAS '03. , 2003, vol. 3, pp. III-320-III-323 vol.3.
- L. Li and Z.-H. Zhu, "On-line static security assessment of power system based on a new half-Against-half multi-class support vector Machine," in Int. Syst. Applications (ISA), 2011, pp. 1-5: IEEE.
- D. Niebur and A. J. Germond, "Power system static security assessment using the Kohonen neural network classifier," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 865-872, 1992.
- S. Kalyani and K. Swarup, "Supervised fuzzy C-means clustering technique for security assessment and classification in power systems," Int. J. Engineering Science Technol., vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 175-185, 2010.
- S. Kalyani and K. S. Swarup, "Particle swarm optimization based K-means clustering approach for security assessment in power systems," Expert Syst. with Applications, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 10839-10846, 2011/09/01/ 2011.
- M. A. Matos, N. D. Hatziargriou, and J. A. P. Lopes, "Multicontingency steady state security evaluation using fuzzy clustering techniques," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 177-183, 2000.
- D. Seyed Javan, H. Rajabi Mashhadi, and M. Rouhani, "A fast static security assessment method based on radial basis function neural networks using enhanced clustering," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 988-996, 2013/01/01/ 2013.
- S. Hassan and P. Rastgoufard, "Detection of power system operation violations via fuzzy set theory," Electr. Power Syst. Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 83-90, 1996.
- T. Jain, L. Srivastava, S. N. Singh, and A. Jain, "Parallel radial basis function neural network based fast voltage estimation for contingency analysis," in 2004 IEEE International Conference on Electric Utility Deregulation, Restructuring and Power Technologies. Proceedings, 2004, vol. 2, pp. 780-784 Vol.2.
- G. Joya, F. García-Lagos, and F. Sandoval, "Contingency evaluation and monitorization using artificial neural networks," Neural Computing and Applications, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 139-150, 2010/02/01 2010.
- A. Mohamed and G. B. Jasmon, "A New Clustering Technique for Power System Voltage Stability Analysis," Electric Machines & Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 389-403, 1995.
- K. R. Sudha, Y. Butchi Raju, and A. Chandra Sekhar, "Fuzzy C-Means clustering for robust decentralized load frequency control of interconnected power system with Generation Rate Constraint," Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 58-66, 2012.
- O. Ozgonenel, D. Thomas, T. Yalcin, and I. N. Bertizlioglu, "Detection of blackouts by using K-means clustering in a power system," in Developments in Power Systems Protection, 2012. DPSP 2012. 11th International Conference on, 2012, pp. 1-6: IET.
- N. Balu et al., "On-line power system security analysis," in Proceedings of the IEEE, USA, CA, 1992, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 262-282.
- C. I. F. Agreira, C. M. M. Ferreira, J. A. D. Pinto, and F. P. M. Barbosa, "Contingency screening and ranking algorithm using two different sets of security performance indices," in IEEE Bologna Power Tech Conf. Proceedings, 2003, vol. 4, p. 5 pp. Vol.4.
- H. D. Chiang, J. Tong, and Y. Tada, "On-line transient stability screening of 14,000-bus models using TEPCO-BCU: Evaluations and methods," in IEEE PES Gen. Meeting, 2010, pp. 1-8.
- C. Long, J. Hu, M. Dong, D. You, and G. Wang, "Quick and effective multiple contingency screening algorithm based on long-tailed distribution," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 257-262, 2016.
- T. Srinivas, K. R. Reddy, and V. Devi, "Composite criteria based network contingency ranking using fuzzy logic approach," in Advance Computing Conference, 2009. IACC 2009. IEEE International, 2009, pp. 654-657: IEEE.
- T. S. Sidhu and L. Cui, "Contingency screening for steady-state security analysis by using FFT and artificial neural networks," IEEE Trans. Power Syst. vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 421-426, 2000.
- J. Hazra and A. K. Sinha, "Identification of Catastrophic Failures in Power System Using Pattern Recognition and Fuzzy Estimation," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 378-387, 2009.
- H. E. A. Talaat, H. A. Ibrahim, and B. A. Hemade, "Synchrophasor measurements-based on-line power system steady-state security indices-- part I: Methodology," in Eighteenth Int. Middle East Power Syst. Conf. (MEPCON), 2016, pp. 699-704.
- H. A. Ibrahim, B. A. Hemade, and H. E. A. Talaat, "Generated Power-Based Composite Security Index for Evaluation of Cascading Outages," presented at the Nineteenth Int. Middle East Power Systems Conf. (MEPCON), Egypt, 19-21 Dec. 2017, 2017.
- M. B. Christopher, Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning. Springer-Verlag New York, 2016.
- S. Shalev-Shwartz and S. Ben-David, Understanding machine learning: From theory to algorithms. Cambridge university press, 2014.
- M. El Agha and W. M. Ashour, "Efficient and fast initialization algorithm for k-means clustering," Int. J. Intelligent Syst. Applications, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 21, 2012.
- T. J. Ross, Fuzzy logic with engineering applications. John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- J. Harris, Fuzzy logic applications in engineering science. Springer Science & Business Media, 2005.
- S. Ghosh and S. K. Dubey, "Comparative analysis of k-means and fuzzy c-means algorithms," International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, vol. 4, no. 4, 2013.
- J. C. Bezdek, R. Ehrlich, and W. Full, "FCM: The fuzzy c-means clustering algorithm," Computers & Geosciences, vol. 10, no. 2-3, pp. 191-203, 1984.
- K.-L. Wu and M.-S. Yang, "A cluster validity index for fuzzy clustering," Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1275-1291, 2005.
- C. A. Jensen, M. A. El-Sharkawi, and R. J. Marks, "Power system security assessment using neural networks: feature selection using Fisher discrimination," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 757-763, 2001.
- S. S. Halilčević, F. Gubina, and A. F. Gubina, "The uniform fuzzy index of power system security," Inter Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 785-799, 2010.