BRAINSEG – Brain Structures Segmentation Pipeline Using Open Source Tools
Автор: R. Neela, R. Kalaimagal
Статья в выпуске: 1, 2015 года.
Structure segmentation is often the first step in the diagnosis and treatment of various diseases. Because of the variations in the various brain structures and overlapping structures, segmenting brain structures is a very crucial step. Though a lot of research had been done in this area, still it is a challenging field. Using prior knowledge about the spatial relationships among structures, called as atlases, the structures with dissimilarities can be segmented efficiently. Multiple atlases prove a better one when compared to single atlas, especially when there are dissimilarities in the structures. In this paper, we proposed a pipeline for segmenting brain structures using open source tools. We test our pipeline for segmenting brain structures in MRI using the publicly available data provided by MIDAS.
Brain structure segmentation, Multi Atlas, Pipeline, Patch, MRI
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/15010112
Список литературы BRAINSEG – Brain Structures Segmentation Pipeline Using Open Source Tools
- Balafar, Mohd Ali, Abdul Rahman Ramli, Iqbal Saripan, M., and Syamsiah Mashohor. Review of brain MRI image segmentation methods. Artificial Intelligence Review, 2010, 33(3), 261-274. Retrieved from http://www.via.cornell.edu/ece578/project/2014/g1/paper8.pdf.
- Abo-Eleneen Z. A, and Gamil Abdel-Azim. A Novel Approach for MRI Brain Images Segmentation. IJIGSP, 2013, 5(3),10-18. DOI: 10.5815/ijigsp.2013.03.02.
- A. Afifi, S. Ghoniemy, E.A. Zanaty, and S. F. El-Zoghdy. New Region Growing based on Thresholding Technique Applied to MRI Data. IJCNIS, 2015,7(7), 61-67. DOI: 10.5815/ijcnis. 2015.07.08.
- Ritu Agrawal and Manisha Sharma. Review of Segmentation Methods for Brain Tissue with Magnetic Resonance Images. IJCNIS, 2014, 6(4). DOI: 10.5815/ijcnis.2014.04.07.
- R. Neela, and R. Kalaimagal. A Review of Intensity and Model Based Segmentation Methods for MRI. i-manager's Journal on Image Processing, 2014, 3(1), 1-10.
- K. Santle Camilus and V. K. Govindan. A Review on Graph Based Segmentation. IJIGSP, 2012,.4(5),1-13.
- Collins, D. L., Holmes, C. J., Peters, T. M. and Evans, A. C. Automatic 3D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation. Human Brain Mapping, 1995, 3(3),190–208.
- Hou Z, Huang S, Hu Q and Nowinski W. A fast and automatic method to correct intensity inhomogeneity in MR brain images. Medical Image Computing and Computer- Assisted Intervention, 2006, 9( 2), 324–331.
- Vovk U, Pernus F. and Likar B. A Review of Methods for Correction of Intensity Inhomogeneity in MRI. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2007,26(3),405-421.
- Nicholas J Tustison, Brian B Avants, Philip A Cook, Yuanjie Zheng, Alexander Egan, Paul A Yushkevich and James C Gee. N4ITK: Improved N3 Bias Correction. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging,2010, 29(6),1310-1320.
- Mani, V.R.S, and Dr.S. Arivazhagan. Survey of Medical Image Registration. Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, 2013, 12, 8-25.
- J. Talairach and P. Tournoux. Co-planar stereotaxic atlas of the human brain, 1988. volume 147. Thieme New York.
- D. Collins, C. Holmes, T. Peters, and A. Evans. Automatic 3-D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation. Human Brain Mapping, 2004, 3(3):190–208.
- Kapur T, Grimson WEL, III WMW and Kikinis R. Segmentation of brain tissue from magnetic resonance images. Medical Image Analysis, 1996, 1(2),109– 27.
- Yoon UC, Kim JS, Kim JS, Kim IY and Kim SI. Adaptable fuzzy C-means for improved classification as a preprocessing procedure of brain parcellation. J Digit Imaging, 2001,14(2),238–40.
- Lemieux L, Hagemann G, Krakow K, and Woermann FG. Fast, accurate, and reproducible automatic segmentation of the brain in T1-weighted volume MRI data. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 1999, 42, 127–135.
- Lemieux L, Hammers A, Mackinnon T and Liu RS. Automatic segmentation of the brain and intracranial cerebrospinal fluid in T1-weighted volume MRI scans of the head, and its application to serial cerebral and intracranial volumetry. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2003,49(5),872–84.
- S. Sadananthan, W. Zheng, M. Chee, and V. Zagorodnov. Skull stripping using graph cuts. NeuroImage,2010, 49(1), 225–239.
- Iglesias JE, Liu CY, Thompson P and Tu Z. Robust Brain Extraction Across Datasets and Comparison with Publicly Available Methods. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging,2011, 30(9),1617-1634.
- Xian Fan, Yiqiang Zhan and Gerardo Hermosillo Valadez. A Comparison study of atlas based image segmentation: the advantage of multi-atlas based on shape clustering. Proceedings SPIE 7259, Medical Imaging, 2009. doi:10.1117/12.814157.
- Aljabar, P., Heckemann, R., Hammers, A., Hajnal, J.V. and Rueckert, D. Multi-Atlas Based Segmentation of Brain Images: Atlas Selection and Its Effect on Accuracy. NeuroImage, 2009,46(3), 726- 739. Retrieved from http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~pa100/pubs/aljabarNeuroImage2009-selection.pdf.
- M. R. Sabuncu, B. T. T. Yeo, K. Van Leemput, B. Fischl, and P. Golland. A generative model for image segmentation based on label fusion. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2010, 29(10), 1714–1729. Article ID 5487420.
- Rohlfing, T., Robert Brandt, Randolf Menzel, & Calvin R. Maurer, Jr. Evaluation of atlas selection strategies for atlas-based image segmentation with application to confocal microscopy images of bee brains. NeuroImage, 2004,21(4), 1428–1442. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2003.11.010.
- X. Artaechevarria, A. Munoz-Barrutia, and C. Ortiz de Solorzano. Combination strategies in multi-atlas image segmentation: Application to brain MR data. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging,2009, 28(8),1266 – 1277.
- T. Rohlfing and C. Maurer. Shape-based averaging. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing,2007,16(1), 153–161.
- F. van der Lijn, T. den Heijer, M. Breteler, and W. Niessen. Hippocampus segmentation in MR images using atlas registration, voxel classification, and graph cuts. NeuroImage, 2008, 43( 4),708–720.
- Subrahmanyam Gorthi, Meritxell Bach Cuadra, Pierre-Alain Tercier, Abdelkarim S. Allal, and Jean-Philippe Thiran. Weighted Shape-Based Averaging With Neighborhood Prior Model for Multiple Atlas Fusion-Based Medical Image Segmentation. IEEE Signal Processing Letters,2013,20(11) .
- H. Wang , J. Suh , S. Das , J. Pluta, C. Craige and P. Yushkevich. Multiatlas segmentation with joint label fusion. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,2013, 35(3),611 -623.
- Ruben Cardenes, Meritxell Bach, Ying-Veronica Chi, Ioannis Marras, Rodrigo de Luis, Mats Anderson, Peter Cashman and Matthieu Bultelle. Multimodal Evaluation Method for Medical Image Segmentation. Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns,2007, 4673, 229-236.
- Kelly H.Zou, Warfield SK, Bharatha A, Tempany CMC and Kaus MR, et al. Statistical Validation of Image Segmentation Quality Based on a Spatial Overlap Index: Scientific Reports. Academic Radiology,2004, 11(2),178–189. doi: 10.1016/S1076-6332(03)00671-8.