Using Artificial Immune Recognition Systems in Order to Detect Early Breast Cancer
Автор: C.D. Katsis, I. Gkogkou, C.A. Papadopoulos, Y. Goletsis, P.V. Boufounou, G. Stylios
Статья в выпуске: 2 vol.5, 2013 года.
In this work, a decision support system for early breast cancer detection is presented. In hard to diagnose cases, different examinations (i.e. mammography, ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging) provide contradictory findings and patient is guided to biopsy for definite results. The proposed method employs a Correlation Feature Selection procedure and an Artificial Immune Recognition System (AIRS) and is evaluated using real data collected from 53 subjects with contradictory diagnoses. Comparative results with commonly used artificial intelligence classifiers verify the suitability of the AIRS classifier. The application of such an approach can reduce the number of unnecessary biopsies.
Artificial Immune Recognition System, Breast Cancer, Correlation Feature Selection, Decision Trees, Multilayer Perceptron Artificial Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/15010363
Список литературы Using Artificial Immune Recognition Systems in Order to Detect Early Breast Cancer
- D. Max Parkin, Freddie Bray, J. Ferlay and Paola Pisani, Global Cancer Statistics, 2002, CA Cancer J Clin vol.55, (2005), pp. 74-108.
- D. West, P. Mangiameli, R. Rampal, V. West, Ensemble strategies for a medical diagnosis decision support system: a breast cancer diagnosis application, Eur. J. Oper. Res. 162, (2005), pp 532–551.
- C. Papaloukas, D.I. Fotiadis, A. Likas, L. K Michalis, An ischemia detection method based on artificial neural networks, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol.24, Issue 2, (2002), pp. 167-178.
- T.P. Exarchos, C. Papaloukas, D.I. Fotiadis, L.K. Michalis, An association rule mining-based methodology for automated detection of ischemic ECG beats, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol 53, Issue 8, (2006), pp. 1531-1540.
- Y. Goletsis, C. Papaloukas, D.I. Fotiadis, A. Likas, L.K. Michalis, A multicriteria decision based approach for ischaemia detection in long duration ECGs, 4th International IEEE EMBS Special Topic Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine, (2003), pp. 173-176.
- I. Guler, E.D Ubeyli, ECG beat classiﬁer designed by combined neural network model. Pattern Recognition, Vol.38, Issue2, (2005), pp. 199–208.
- A.T. Tzallas, P.S. Karvelis, C.D. Katsis, D.I. Fotiadis, S. Giannopoulos, S. Konitsiotis, A Method for Classification of Transient Events in EEG Recordings: Application to Epilepsy Diagnosis, Methods of Information in Medicine, Vol. 49, Issue 6, (2006), pp: 610-621.
- C.D. Katsis, Y. Goletsis, A. Likas, D.I. Fotiadis, I. Sarmas, A novel method for automated EMG decomposition and MUAP classification, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 37 Issue 1, (2006), pp. 55-64.
- C. D. Katsis, T.P. Exarchos, C. Papaloukas, Y. Goletsis, D. I. Fotiadis, I. Sarmas, A two-stage method for MUAP classification based on EMG decomposition, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol. 37, Issue 9, (2007), pp. 1232-1240.
- C.I. Christodoulou, C.S. Pattichis, Unsupervised pattern recognition for the classification of EMG signals, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.46 Issue:2, (1999), pp. 169 – 178.
- E.D. Ubeyli, I. Guler, Improving medical diagnostic accuracy of ultrasound Doppler signals by combining neural network models, Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol.35, Issue 6, (2005), pp. 533–554.
- E.D. Ubeyli, I. Guler, Feature extraction from Doppler ultrasound signals for automated diagnostic systems. Computers in Biology and Medicine, Vol. 35, Issue 9, (2005), pp.735–764.
- S. AlZubi, A. Amira, 3D Medical Volume Segmentation Using Hybrid Multiresolution Statistical Approaches, Advances in Artificial Intelligence, Volume 2010.
- R. Setiono, Generating concise and accurate classiﬁcation rules for breast cancer diagnosis, Artiﬁcial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 18, Issue 3, (2000), pp. 205–219.
- D. West, V. West, Model selection for a medical diagnostic decision support system: a breast cancer detection case. Artiﬁcial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 20, Issue 3, (2000), pp. 183–204.
- H. A. Abbass, An evolutionary artificial neural networks approach for breast cancer diagnosis, Artificial intelligence in Medicine, Vol. 25, Issue 3, (2002), pp. 265-281.
- E.D. Ubeyli, Implementing automated diagnostic systems for breast cancer detection, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 33, (2007), pp. 1054–1062.
- M. Karabataka, C. Inceb, An expert system for detection of breast cancer based on association rules and neural network, Expert Systems with Applications,Vol. 36, Issue 2, (2009), pp. 3465-3469.
- S. Belciug, E. El-Darzi, A partially connected neural network-based approach with application to breast cancer detection and recurrence, 5th IEEE International Conference Intelligent Systems, (2010), pp. 191–196.
- M. A. Hall, Correlation-based Feature Subset Selection for Machine Learning. Hamilton, New Zealand, 1998.
- M. A. Hall and G. Holmes, Benchmarking attribute selection techniques for discrete class data mining, IEEE Transactions in Knowledge and Data Engineering. Vol.15, (2003), pp. 1437-1447.
- A. Watkins. A resource limited artificial immune classifier. Master's thesis, Mississippi State University, MS. USA., December 2001.
- A. Watkins, J. Timmis, L. Boggess, Artificial immune recognition system (AIRS): An immune-inspired supervised learning algorithm, Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines, Vol. 5, Issue3, (2004), pp. 291-317.
- E. Fix, J.L. Hodges, Discriminatory analysis, nonparametric discrimination: Consistency properties. Technical Report 4, USAF School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field, Texas, 1951.
- Y. Goletsis. T.P. Exarchos, C.D. Katsis, Bio-Inspired Intelligence for Credit Scoring, Special Issue on Computational Methods in Financial Engineering, International Journal of Financial Markets and Derivatives, Vol.2, No.1/2, (2011), pp.32 – 49.
- F. Menolascina, R.T. Alves, S. Tommasi, P. Chiarappa, M. Delgado, V. Bevilacqua, G. Mastronardi, A.A. Freitas, A. Paradiso, Improving Female Breast Cancer Prognosis by means of Fuzzy Rule Induction with Artificial Immune Systems, Proceedings of the International Conference on Life System Modeling and Simulation, 2007.
- F. Menolascina, S. Tommasi, P. Chiarappa, V. Bevilacqua, G. Mastronardi,A. Paradiso, Data mining techniques in aCGH-based breast cancer subtype profiling: an immune perspective with comparative study. BMC Systems Biology 1, 2007.
- G.B. Bezerra, G.M.A Cado, M. Menossi, L.N. de Castro, ,F.J. von Zuben, Recent advances in gene expression data clustering: a case study with comparative results, Genet. Mol. Res. Vol. 4, Issue 3, (2005), pp. 514–524.
- E.R. Hruschka, R.J. Campello, L.N. de Castro, Evolving clusters in gene expression data. Inf. Sci. Vol. 176, Issue 13, (2006), pp. 1898–1927.
- J.S. de Sousa, C.T. de Gomes, G.B. Bezerra, L.N. de Castro, F.J. von Zuben, An Immune-Evolutionary Algorithm for Multiple Rearrangements of Gene Expression Data, Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines Vol. 5, Issue 2, (2004), pp. 157–179.
- S. Sahan, K. Polat, H. Kodaz,S. Gunes, A new hybrid method based on fuzzy artificial immune system and k-nn algorithm for breast cancer diagnosis. Computers in Biology and Medicine Vol. 37, Issue 3, (2007), pp. 415–423.
- K. Polat, S. Gunes, Principles component analysis, fuzzy weighting preprocessing and artificial immune recognition system based diagnostic system for diagnosis of lung cancer, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2008.
- K. Polat, S. Gunes, Computer aided medical diagnosis system based on principal component analysis and artificial immune recognition system classifier algorithm, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2008.
- V. Bevilacqua , F. Menolascina , R. T. Alves ,S. Tommasi , G. Mastronardi , M. Delgado ,A. Paradiso , G. Nicosia, A. A. Freitas , Artificial Immune Systems in Bioinformatics, Computational Intelligence in Biomedicine and Bioinformatics, Volume 151, (2008), pp 271-295.
- J. Brownlee, Artificial Immune Recognition System (AIRS) - A Review and Analysis,Technical Report], Centre for Intelligent Systems and Complex Processes, Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies, Swin-burne University of Technology, Victoria, Australia, Technical Report ID: 1-01, 2005.
- E.A. Sickles, Mammographic features of “Early” breast cancer, American Journal of Roentgenology, (1984), pp 143-464.
- A.T. Stavros, C.L. Rapp, S. H. Parker, Breast ultrasound, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins editors, 2004.