Urban agglomerations in the settlement system of the north of Russia
Автор: Fauzer Viktor V., Smirnov Andrei V., Lytkina Tatyana S., Fauzer Galina N.
Рубрика: Regional economy
Статья в выпуске: 4 т.14, 2021 года.
The article examines the evolution of the formation of cities and urban agglomerations in the North of Russia. The aim is to identify cities that meet the criteria of “northern urban agglomeration” from the large cities in the North of Russia. We propose criteria and indicators that make it possible to distinguish urban agglomerations in the urban space; it is noted that for northern urban agglomerations the evaluation criteria can be applied less strictly and indicators less important. We analyze the urban settlement of northern Russia, focusing on northern cities, their structure and the average density of settlements; we consider separately urban-type settlements that contribute to the population density of northern territories, increasing the density of settlements. The focus is on 18 cities with more than 100,000 inhabitants and four cities with a population of a hundred thousand in different years, the core cities have at least two satellite settlements, according to the criteria proposed, they correspond to the concept of an urban agglomeration core city. We consider and group the selected urban agglomerations according to the structure of satellite settlements and the population living in the zones located within 50, 100 and 150 km from the core. With the help of a review of domestic and foreign literature, we have revealed the essence and content of the category “agglomeration effect”. The article identifies three types of agglomeration effects: local objects sharing; cost reduction; and labor pooling. There are two types of effects: localization (clustering) and urbanization effects; the localization effect is the result of enterprises working together in a common area, the urbanization effect is the concentration of organizations in one area, regardless of whether there is thematic proximity between them. Along with the advantages, urban agglomerations cause environmental, economic, political and social problems and pose threats to the stability of small and medium-sized cities; increasing rural deprivation; which will cause further depopulation of large parts of the country, putting the security and integrity of the country at risk.
The north of Russia, population, settlement system, cities, urban settlements, criteria and indicators, urban agglomerations, agglomeration effect
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147235432
IDR: 147235432 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.4.76.5
Список литературы Urban agglomerations in the settlement system of the north of Russia
- Fauzer V.V., Smirnov A.V. The Russian Arctic: From ostrogs to urban agglomerations. EKO=ECO Journal, 2018, no. 7, pp. 112–130. DOI: 10.30680/ЕСО0131-7652-2018-7-112-130 (in Russian).
- Fauzer V.V., Smirnov A.V. The World’s Arctic: Natural resources, population distribution, economics. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2018, no. 3(31), pp. 6–22. DOI: 10.25283/2223-4594-2018-3-6-22 (in Russian).
- Fauzer V., Lytkina T., Smirnov A. Impact of migrations on the demographic structures transformation in the Russian North, 1939–2019. Regional Science Policy and Practice, 2020, vol. 12, issue 6. DOI: 10.1111/rsp3.12357.
- Weber A., Friedrich C. Theory of the Location of Industries. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1929. 256 p.
- Marshall A. Principles of Economics. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. 731 p.
- Ilyin V.A., Uskova T.V. Methods of overcoming the spatial socio-economic differentiation. Federalizm=Federalism, 2012, no. 3(67), pp. 7–18 (in Russian).
- Ivanov O.B., Buchvald E.M. Megacities and agglomerations in the governance and strategic development of territories. Aktual’nye voprosy ekonomiki=Current Economic Issues, 2020, no. 6, pp. 7–25 (in Russian).
- Prokof'ev S.E., Popadyuk N.K., Semkina O.S. New approaches to urban and agglomeration development. Upravlenie ustoichivym razvitiem=Sustainable Development Management, 2015, pp. 133–143 (in Russian).
- Nikonorov S.M., Papenov K.V. Sustainable urban development strategies in Russia. Ekonomika ustoichivogo razvitiya=Sustainable Development Economics, 2016, no. 3(27), pp. 296–300 (in Russian).
- Glezer O.B., Vainberg E.I. The population’s living space and settlement patterns as the factors and conditions of modernization in Russia. Region: ekonomika i sotsiologiya= Region: Economics and Sociology, 2013, no. 3 (79), pp. 21–38 (in Russian).
- Pokshishevskii V.V. Naselenie i geografiya. Teoreticheskie ocherki [Population and geography. Theoretical essays]. Moscow: Izd. Mysl’, 1978. 315 p.
- Antonov E.V. Urban agglomerations: Approaches to the allocation and delimitation. Kontury global’nykh transformatsii=Outlines of Global Transformations, 2020, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 180–196 (in Russian).
- Fujita M. et al. The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions and International Trade. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press, 1999.
- Fujita M., Krugman P. The New Economic Geography. Past, Present and the Future. In: Florax R.J.G.M., Plane D.A. (Eds.). Fifty Years of Regional Science. Advances in Spatial Science. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer, 2004. Pp. 139–164.
- Rusanovskii V.A., Markov V.A., Petrov A.M. Impact of agglomerations on the asymmetry of socio-demographic development of Russian municipalities. Vestnik SGSEU=Vestnik of Saratov State Socio-Economic University, 2019, no. 4 (78), pp. 81–85 (in Russian).
- Kozlova O.A., Soskova O.N. Spatial differentiation factors of urban population density in the industrial regions of the Urals and Trans-Urals. Ars Administrandi (Iskusstvo upravleniya)=Ars Administrandi (Art of Management), 2018, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 64–79 (in Russian).
- Soboleva S.V., Smirnova N.E., Chudaeva O.V. The demographic problems of Siberia in the context of spatial development. EKO=ECO Journal, 2020, no. 8, pp. 48–65 (in Russian).
- Lyubovnyi V.Ya. Course “for space compression”? Teoriya gradostroitel’stva=Urban Panning, 2012, no. 4, pp. 4–13 (in Russian).
- Vaynberg E. Space, resettlement and modernization of the Russian economy. Federalizm=Federalism, 2013, nо. 1(69), рр. 25–38 (in Russian).
- Shiklomanov N., Streletskiy D., Suter L., Orttung R., Zamyatina N. Dealing with the bust in Vorkuta, Russia. Land Use Policy, 2020, no. 103908. DOI: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2019.03.021
- Bekbolov A.A., Abilov A.Z. Small towns as a factor of sustainable development. Nauka i obrazovanie segodnya=Science and Education Today, 2020, no. 6–1(53), pp. 88–91 (in Russian).
- Shishatskii N.G. Strukturnaya modernizatsiya kak faktor povysheniya konkurentosposobnosti regiona (na primere Krasnoyarskogo kraya) [Structural modernisation as a factor in enhancing regional competitiveness (the Case study of the Krasnoyarsk Territory)]. Novosibirsk: Izd. IEIE SB RAS, 2020. 510 p.
- Duranton G., Puga D. Micro-foundations of urban agglomeration economies. In: Henderson J.H., Thisse J.F. (Eds.). Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics. 2004. Vol. 4. Pp. 2063–2117.
- Belkina T.D., Shcherbakova E.M., Protokalistova L.V. Imbalance between social and economic functions of cities and regions. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 2019, no. 6, pp. 110–122 (in Russian).
- Listengurt F.M. Criteria for the allocation of large-scale agglomerations in the USSR. Izvestiya AN USSR=Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Geographical Series, 1975, no. 1, pp. 41–49 (in Russian).
- Matovykh E. A. Current trends in the development of cities and urban systems. EKO=ECO Journal, 2012, no. 2, pp. 182—189 (in Russian).
- Iglovskaya N.S. Features of urbanization and formation of urban agglomerations in the north of Russia. Vestnik pomorskogo universiteta=Arctic Environmental Research, 2011, no. 1, pp. 5–12 (in Russian).
- Kutsenko E.S. Dependence on the previous development of the spatial distribution of economic agents and the practice of assessing agglomeration effects. In: Materialy XIII Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii po problemam razvitiya ekonomiki i obshchestva. V 4 kn. Kn. 3 [Materials of the 13th International scientific conference on the problems of economic and social development. In 4 books. Book 3]. HSE Publishing House, 2012. Pp. 317–329 (in Russian).
- Storper M. The Keys to the City: How Economics, Institutions, Social Interaction, and Politics Shape Development. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2013. 276 p.
- Walker R. Why cities? A response. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 2016, vol. 40(1), pp. 164–180. DOI: 10.1111/1468-2427.12335
- Scott A., Storper M. The nature of cities: The scope and limits of urban theory. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 2014, vol. 39(1), pp. 1–15. DOI: 10.1111/1468-2427.12134
- Lavrinenko P.A., Mikhailova T.N., Romashina A.A., Chistyakov P.A. Agglomeration effect as a tool of regional development. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 2019, no. 3, pp. 50–59.
- Rosenthal S.S., Strange W.C. Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies. In: Henderson V., Thisse J.F. (Eds.). Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 2004. Pp. 2119–2171.
- Teras J., Salenius V., Fagerlund L., Stanionyte L. Smart Specialisation in Sparsely Populated European Arctic Regions. Luxembourg: Joint Research Centre, 2018. 50 p. DOI: 10.2760/960929
- Kolomak E. Development of Russian urban system: Tendencies and determinants. Voprosy ekonomiki=Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2014, no. 10, pp. 82–96 (in Russian).
- Kiseleva N.N., Bavina K.V., Karatunov A.V. Methodological approaches to the study of the nature of agglomeration processes. Fundamental’nye issledovaniya=Fundamental Research, 2016, no. 12–2, pp. 422–426 (in Russian).
- Fauzer V.V., Smirnov A.V., Lytkina T.S., Fauzer G.N. Methodology for defining pivotal settlements in the Russian Arctic. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2019, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 25–43. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.5.65.2 (in Russian).
- Tolmachev D.E., Kuznetsov P.D., Ermal S.V. Methodology for identifying the boundaries of agglomerations based on statistical date. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2021, vol. 17, issue 1, pp. 44–58. Available at: https://doi.org/10.17059/ekon.reg.2021-1-4 (in Russian).