Translators’ reception of English epic literature: factors, strategies, competence (on the material of Russian pioneer translations of J. R. R. Tolkien's “The lord of the rings”)
Автор: Sherstneva E.S.
Журнал: Juvenis scientia @jscientia
Рубрика: Филологические науки
Статья в выпуске: 5, 2018 года.
Comparative-contrastive analysis of the original and its multiple translations, including language parameters and extralinguistic factors mediating their character, held within the context of diachronic viewpoint, allows to detect the national language development, evolution of translators’ strategies, degree of literation, Russianization and foreignization of translations, level of translator’s personal and professional competence. Analysis of J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” pioneer-translations has shown that there is co-existence of two types of translation: introductory translations, not aimed at the reconstruction of the whole semantic-stylistic depth of the original, and translations reconstructing literary features of the original making it conformable and akin for the receiving linguistic environment. Second type of translation, adopted for a native Russian speaker, bearer of the Russian culture, prevails in Russian books market by the number of editions.
Multiple translations, introductory translation, synchronic, diachronic, archaization, translator's approach, proper names translation, domestication, foreignization
Короткий адрес: https://readera.ru/14110501
Список литературы Translators’ reception of English epic literature: factors, strategies, competence (on the material of Russian pioneer translations of J. R. R. Tolkien's “The lord of the rings”)
- Brownlie S. Narrative theory and retranslation theory//Across Languages and Cultures. 2006. Vol. 7(2). Pp. 140-170.
- Hananashvily A. How it all began. Tolkien in Gruzberg’s translation//Palantyr. The Lournal of Tolkien’s community of Saint-Petersburg. 2003. No. 38. Pp. 3-16. URL: http://www.tolkien.spb.ru/Pal-38.pdf.
- Hooker M.T. History of one translation. URL: http://www.nto-ttt.ru/vs/gruzberg.shtml.
- Hooker M.T. Nine Russian Translations of The Lord of the Rings//Tolkien in Translation. Walking Tree Publishers. 2011. No. 4. URL: http://www.walking-tree.org/books/tolkien_in_translation.php.
- Laboratory of Fiction. URL: https://fantlab.ru/work1667.
- Muravieva N. Interview for Arda-na-Kulichkah//Archives of Minas-Tirit. 2004. URL: http://www.kulichki.com/tolkien/arhiv/ugolok/nadejda_murav.shtml.
- Pym A. Method in translation history. Manchester: St. Jerome Publishing, 1998.
- Sherstneva E.S. Neutralization of stylistically colored words under modern trends within literary norm of the English language//Vestnik of Nekrasov Kostroma State University. Kostroma. 2015. No. 6(21). Pp. 119-122.
- Strelzyk Y. Russian translations. The Lord of the Rings. URL: http://www.elrondslibrary.fr/T_RussianLoR.html.
- Tolkien J. R. R. Guide to the Names in The Lord of the Rings. URL: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Guide_to_the_Names_in_The_Lord_of_the_Rings.
- Venuti L. Retranslations: The creation of value. Bucknell Review. 2003. Vol. 47(1). Pp. 25-39.
- Vitkovsky E. Interview for Arda-na-Kulichkah//Archives of Minas-Tirit. 2004. URL: https://litlife.club/br/?b=44686
- Zuev V. In search of the ideal translation of "The Lord of the Rings" URL: https://disgustingmen.com/reading/lord-of-the-rings-tolkien-translations.