The role of a religious institution in the developing and functioning of social and economic sphere (the case of the Roman Catholic church of the Philippines)
Автор: Balabeikina Olga A., Kuznetsova Julia A., Yankovskaya Anna A.
Статья в выпуске: 3 (90), 2020 года.
The subject of the research includes features of demonstration and influence of the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) on social and economic processes in the Philippines. The purpose of the research is elicitation of country's predominant religious institution’s role in the functioning of the social sphere and some sectors of the economy through the example of the Roman Catholic Church of Philippines. Research hypothesis: the model of the Philippines confessional space functioning, where the history of Catholicism spread is exactly 500 years, is unique for the Asia-Pacific region, and the RCC significantly affects not only the culture and mentality of the population, but also the socio-economic sphere, providing a significant portion of needs for social infrastructure. Aspects of the influence of the RCC of the Philippines on certain sectors of the economy are considered in detail: in particular, on the development of religious tourism of an excursion and educational orientation. Based on the analysis of the reporting data of nonprofit Catholic organizations and other official statistical information, as well as the results of in-depth interviews with representatives of the RCC of the Philippines, the main features of the implementation of the religious Institute in the country are identified.
Confessional space, catholic church, tertiary industry, religious organization, philippines, diocese, religious institute, religious and educational tourism, market diversification, tourism services
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/140249850
IDR: 140249850 | DOI: 10.24411/1995-042X-2020-10304
Список литературы The role of a religious institution in the developing and functioning of social and economic sphere (the case of the Roman Catholic church of the Philippines)
- Campante, F., & Yanagizawa-Drott, D. (2015). Does religion Affect Economic: Growth and Happiness? Evidence from Ramadan. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 130, 615-658.
- Peri Rotem, N. (2016). Religion and fertility in Western Europe: trends across cohorts in Britain, France and the Netherlands. European Journal of Population, 2, 231.
- Permoser, J. M., Sieglinde, R., & Stoeckl, K. (2010). Religious Organisations as Political Actors in the Context of Migration: Islam and Orthodoxy in Austria. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 36(9), 1463-1481.
- Appleby, J. K. (2011). The Role of the Catholic Church in Immigrant Integration. The Review of Faith and International Affairs, 9 (1), 67-70. DOI: 10.1080/15570274.2011.54362
- Manuel, P. Ch., & Glatzer, M. (2019). Faith-Based Organizations and Social Welfare: Associational Life and Religion in Contemporary Western Europe. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 232. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-77297-4
- Aperti, N. (2017). Economic foundation of the development strategies of religious cultural tourism: self-report of the PhD thesis in economic sciences. Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova, 31. (In Romanian).
- Griffin, К., & Raj, R. (2017). The Importance of Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage: reflecting on definitions, motives and data. International Journal of Religious Tourism and Pilgrimage, 5(3), 1-9.
- DOI: 10.21427/D7242Z
- Terzidou, М., Scarles, С., & Saunders, М. (2018). The complexities of religious tourism motivations: Sacred places, vows and visions. Annals of Tourism Research, 70, 54-65.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.annals.2018.02.011
- Manakov, A. G., & Dementiev, V. S. (2019). Territorial'naya struktura konfessional'nogo prostranstva yugo-vostochnoy chasti Baltiyskogo regiona [Territorial structure of the denominational space of the South-East]. Baltiyskiy region [Baltic Region], 11(1), 92-108. 10.5922/2078-8555-2019-1-7. (In Russ.).
- DOI: 10.5922/2078-8555-2019-1-7.(InRuss.)
- Balabeykina, O. A., & Martynov, V. L. (2017). Konfessional'noye prostranstvo sovremennoy Shvetsii: khristianskiye denominatsii [The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity]. Baltiyskiy region [Baltic Region], 9(3), 87-98. 10.5922/2074-9848-2017-3-6. (In Russ.).
- DOI: 10.5922/2074-9848-2017-3-6.(InRuss.)
- Eidemiller, K. Yu., Samylovskaya, E. A., Kudryavtseva, R.-E. A., & Alakshin, A. E. (2019). Social and Islamic diffusion in the Nordic countries with the example of Sweden by year 2050. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 012071.
- Eidemiller, K. Yu., Krasnozhenova, E. E., Samylovskaya, E. A., & Kudryavtseva, R-E. A. (2019). Spatial analysis of Muslim communities' convergence in the Nordic European region, in Scandinavian countries. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 012073.
- Goossaert, V., & Palmer, D. (2011). The Religious Question in Modern China. Chicago-London, University of Chicago Press, 464.
- Fallman, F. (2010). Useful Opium? 'Adapted Religion' and 'harmony' in Contemporary China. Journal of Contemporary China, 19(67), 949-969.
- MaJul, C. A. (1999). Muslims in the Philippines. Manila: University of the Philippines Press, 488.
- Batalla, E. V., & Baring, R. (2019). Church-State Separation and Challenging Issues Concerning Religion. Religions, 10(3), 197.
- DOI: 10.3390/rel10030197.17
- Burkhardt, C. A. (2011). The Position of the Catholic Church in Political and Social Relations of the Philippines. University of the Philippines Diliman Community Development 201 Professor Elmer Ferrer. URL: https://ru.scribd.com/document/77535270/Church-Philippines (Accessed on September 19, 2020).
- Balabeykina, O. A., & Kuznetsova, J. A. (2020). Vliyaniye religii na sotsial'nyye i ekonomicheskiye aspekty zhiznedeyatel'nosti (na primere Rimsko-katolicheskoy tserkvi Filippin) [The religion impact on social and economic aspects of the life (on the example of the Roman Catholic Church of the Philippines)]. Pskovskiy regionologicheskiy zhurnal [Pskov regionological journal], 58-72. (In Russ.).
- Balabeykina, O. A. (2020). Konfessional'noye zarubezhnoye regionovedeniye kak napravleniye issledovaniy [Confessional foreign regional studies as a research area]. Regionologiya [Regionology], 28(1), 111-132. 10.15507/2413-1407.110.028.202001.111-132. (In Russ.).
- DOI: 10.15507/2413-1407.110.028.202001.111-132.(InRuss.)
- Cornelio, J. S. (2012). Priesthood Satisfaction and the Challenges Priests Face: A Case Study of a Rural Diocese in the Philippines. Religions, 3(4), 1103-1119.
- DOI: 10.3390/rel3041103