Taxation of digital services: theory, international practice and domestic prerequisites
Автор: Koroleva Lyudmila P.
Рубрика: Critical economic issues
Статья в выпуске: 3 (63) т.12, 2019 года.
Reforming corporate taxation taking into account customer value creation concept is a necessary stage in the transformation of the Russian tax system. It will help make it just and efficient in the context of the digital economy in which major IT corporations gain super profits from the use of big data and provision of digital services, the cost of which largely depends on the participation of customers. The goals of the present research are as follows: to substantiate theoretical prerequisites for increasing the tax burden on the companies that use big data as a factor of production, to identify trends and patterns in the modern stage of reforming the taxation of revenues resulting from the provision of digital services in foreign countries, and to substantiate the presence of potential for its application in Russia. In the course of our research we identify features of big data as a factor of production; they demonstrate the need for a special approach to the taxation of income from its use and are important for the identification of the object of taxation. In the light of the European tax reform aimed to create a fair and effective tax system in the digital economy we make an overview of the current practice of introducing digital services tax in the EU member states; we also consider some polemical provisions that require further research. Having analyzed the financial performance and tax burden of the largest IT companies Yandex N.V. and Mail.Ru Group for 2013-2018, we reveal the trend of outstripping growth of gross income and profit in comparison with the amount of tax paid. We also find out that the structure of income is dominated by the items falling under digital services taxation, as well as factors contributing to the reduction of the tax burden. We conclude that Russia has the potential to introduce digital services tax in the medium term.
Digital services tax, big data, digital capital, digital rent, customer value creation, gafa tax, google tax, multinational it company
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147224189
IDR: 147224189 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.3.63.6
Список литературы Taxation of digital services: theory, international practice and domestic prerequisites
- Arkhipova N.I., Rodionov I.I. Changes in the content and role of factors of production as a source of competitiveness in the modern world. Vestnik RGGU. Seriya: Ekonomika. Upravlenie. Pravo= Vestnik of the Russian State University for the Humanities. Series: Economics. Management. Law, 2015, no. 1 (1), pp. 9-16..
- Akhmadeev R.G., Bykanova O.A., Malakhova L.I. Digital content market: a new order of VAT collection. Azimut nauchnykh issledovanii: ekonomika i upravlenie=ASR: Economics and Management, 2017, vol. 6, no. 4 (21), pp. 43-46..
- L'vov D.S. The concept of national property management. Ekonomicheskaya nauka sovremennoi Rossii=Economic Science of Modern Russia, 2002, no. 2 (9), pp. 5-24..
- Kimel'man S.A., Pitelin A.K. Rent potential and rent taxation. Ekonomicheskaya nauka sovremennoi Rossii=Economic Science of Modern Russia, 2008, no. 2 (41), pp. 95-111..
- Kuklina E.A. Rent taxation of subsoil users and the myths of resource-based economy. Nauchnye trudy Severo-Zapadnogo instituta upravleniya=Scientific Works of the North-West Institute of Management, 2015, vol. 6, no. 2 (19), pp. 58-65..
- Chernyavskii S.V., Zolotarev N.A. Theories of natural (mountain) rent and system of its withdrawal (taxation) improvement. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Ekonomika=Tomsk State University Journal of Economics, 2017, no. 39, pp. 71-79..
- Ponkratov V.V. Improvement of taxation of oil and gas production in the Russian Federation. Zhurnal ekonomicheskoi teorii=Journal of Economic Theory, 2014, no. 1, pp. 40-52..
- Maiburov I.A. et al. Nalogooblozhenie prirodnykh resursov. Teoriya i mirovye trendy: monografiya dlya magistrantov . Ed. by I.A. Maiburov, Yu.B. Ivanov. Moscow: YuNITI-LANA, 2018. 479 p.
- Yudina T.N. "Peeping capitalism" as "digital economy" and/or "digital society". Teoreticheskaya ekonomika=Theoretical Economy, 2018, no. 4 (46), pp. 13-17..
- Bloch F. and Demange G. Taxation and privacy protection on Internet platforms. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2017, vol. 20 (1).
- DOI: 10.1111/jpet.12243
- Bourreau M., Caillaud B. and De Nijs R. Taxation of a digital monopoly platform: Bourreau et al. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2017. Vol. 20 (1).
- DOI: 10.1111/jpet.12255
- Belleflamme P. and Toulemonde E. Tax incidence on competing two-sided platforms. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2017, vol. 20 (1).
- DOI: 10.1111/jpet.12275
- Kind H.J., Koethenbuerger M. and Schjelderup G. Tax responses in platform industries, Oxford Economic Papers, 2010, vol. 62(4), pp. 764-783.
- Kind H.J., Schjelderup G. and Stähler F. Newspaper Differentiation and Investments in Journalism: The Role of Tax Policy, Economica, 2013, vol. 80(317), pp. 131-148.
- Shamim A., Tony S. W. The impact of sales taxation on internet commerce -An empirical analysis. Economics Letters, 2008, vol. 99, Issue 3, pp. 557-560,
- DOI: 10.1016/j.econlet.2007.10.001
- Pinskaya M.R. (Ed.). Mezhdunarodnoe nalogooblozhenie: razmyvanie nalogovoi bazy s ispol'zovaniem ofshorov: monografiya . Moscow: INFRA-M, 2015. 192 p.
- Sokolovskaya E.V. Indirect taxation of cross-border transactions in electronic commerce. Ekonomika i upravlenie=Economics and Management, 2017, no. 8 (142), pp. 37-47..
- Tikhonova A.V. Google tax: how not to take a step back in the near future? Mezhdunarodnyi bukhgalterskii uchet=International Accounting, 2018, vol. 21, no. 10 (448), pp. 1129-1139..
- Pokrovskaya N.N. Problems of taxation of innovative business models in the digital economy. In: Ekonomika Rossii v usloviyakh resursnykh ogranichenii sbornik nauchnykh trudov po itogam nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii molodykh uchenykh Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo ekonomicheskogo universiteta . 2016. Pp. 170-173.
- Stepnov I.M., Kovalchuk Yu.A. Platform capitalism as the source of digital rentier's superprofit. Vestnik MGIMO Universiteta=MGIMO Review of International Relations, 2018, no. 4 (61), pp. 107-124..
- Zakharov A.V. Conditions of formation and types of information rent. Aktual'nye voprosy ekonomicheskikh nauk=Topical Issues of Economic Sciences, 2010, no. 11-1, pp. 39-42..
- Geliskhanov I.Z., Yudina T.N. Digital platforms: features and prospects of development. In: Sbornik materialov Sem'desyat pervoi Vserossiiskoi nauchno-tekhnicheskoi konferentsii studentov, magistrantov i aspirantov vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem . Yaroslavl: Izdatel'skii dom YaGTU, 2018. Vol. 3. Pp. 637-640..
- Koroleva L.P. IP-BOX Tax regime: main elements and trends of transformation in foreign countries. Natsional'nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost'=National Interests: Priorities and Security, 2016, vol. 12, no. 5 (338), pp. 152-164..