Structural changes in the economy: searching for sectoral drivers of growth
Автор: Leonidova Ekaterina G., Sidorov Maksim A.
Рубрика: Branch-wise economy
Статья в выпуске: 6 (66) т.12, 2019 года.
In the conditions of a system-wide economic crisis and destabilization of the external environment, the economy of the Russian Federation and its regions is experiencing structural limitations, which are associated with its imbalance. As a result, domestic demand for manufactured products is reducing; such a situation does not encourage enterprises to increase their output. This makes it necessary to search for the ways to eliminate structural disproportions and provide economic growth in modern economic conditions. One of such ways is to promote sectoral drivers of growth, that is, those industries and sectors of the national economy, the increase in demand for products in which has a significant positive impact on the economy. In this regard, the goal of this article is to identify and scientifically substantiate the need to stimulate the production of goods and services in economic sectors so as to promote structural changes in the economy at the national and regional levels. In this study, we consider mechanical engineering, information and communication technologies and tourism as drivers, which have a large multiplier effect and contribute to economic growth. The article assesses the consequences of stimulating the selected sectors of the economy in the context of structural changes both at the nationwide level and in the territorial context; this provision forms the scientific novelty of the study. The findings of the study reveal problems in development of mechanical engineering, information and communication technologies and tourism, confirm the importance of their development for the economy; the importance is expressed in a significant increase in the main economic indicators due to the increase in the production of goods and services. We use general scientific methods such as analysis, synthesis, comparison, generalization, and the tools based on the input-output methodology. In the future, we plan to continue our work aimed at determining the correspondence of the parameters of development of these sectors contained in the strategic documents and the results obtained in the study for a deeper understanding of the problems of structural adjustment of the economy.
Structural changes, economy, economic growth, engineering, ict sector, tourism
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147224229
IDR: 147224229 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.6.66.9
Список литературы Structural changes in the economy: searching for sectoral drivers of growth
- Strukturnye izmeneniya v rossiiskoi ekonomike i strukturnaya politika: analiticheskii doklad [Structural changes in the Russian economy and structural policy: analytical report]. Under scientific supervision of E.G. Yasin. Moscow, 2018. 252 p.
- Drobyshevskii S.M., Idrisov G.I., Kaukin A.S., Pavlov P.N., Sinel'nikov-Murylev S.G. Decomposition of growth rates of the Russian economy in 2007-2017 and a forecast for 2018-2020. Voprosy ekonomiki=Economic Issues, 2018, no. 9, pp. 5-31. (In Russian).
- Sukharev O.S. Structural dynamics of Russia's economy: toward a new growth model. Voprosy territorial'nogo razvitiya=Territorial Development Issues, 2016, no. 4 (34). Available at: http://vtr.isert-ran.ru/article/1975. (In Russian).
- Zamaraev V., Marshova T. Investment processes and structural transformation of the Russian economy. Voprosy ekonomiki=Economic Issues, 2017, no. 12, pp. 40-62. (In Russian).
- Behun M., Gavurova B., Tkacova A., Kotaskova A. The impact of the manufacturing industry on the economic cycle of European Union Countries. Journal of Competitiveness, 2018, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 23-39. 10.7441/ joc.2018.01.02 DOI: 10.7441/joc.2018.01.02
- Structural policy in Russia: new conditions and a possible agenda (a report of the HSE). Voprosy ekonomiki=Economic Issues, 2018, no. 6, pp. 5-28. 10.32609/0042-8736-2018-6-5-28. (In Russian).
- DOI: 10.32609/0042-8736-2018-6-5-28.(InRussian)
- Lenchuk E.B. Novaya industrializatsiya kak uslovie formirovaniya novoi modeli ekonomicheskogo rosta. Novaya model' ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Rossii: kontseptsiya formirovaniya i realizatsii [New industrialization as a condition for the formation of a new model of economic growth. A new model of Russia's economic development: the concept of formation and implementation]. Moscow: Gosudarstvennaya Duma, 2016. 320 p.
- Borisov V.N., Pochukaeva O.V., Pochukaev K.G. The role of mechanical engineering in the process of regional economic diversification. Voprosy territorial'nogo razvitiya=Territorial Development Issues, 2018, no. 5 (45). 10.1 5838/tdi.2018.5.45.3. (In Russian).
- DOI: 10.15838/tdi.2018.5.45.3.(InRussian)
- Rossiya: ot tsifrovizatsii k tsifrovoi ekonomike [Russia: from digitalization to digital economy]. Available at: http://stolypin.institute/wp-ontent/uploads/2018/09/issledovanie_tsifrovaya-ekonomika-14-09-18-1.pdf
- Uskova T.V. Problemy ekonomicheskogo rosta territorii [Problems of economic growth of the territory]. Vologda: In-t sots.-ekon. razvitiya territorii RAN, 2013. 170 p.
- Ilyin V.A., Povarova A.I. Problems of regional development as a reflection of the effectiveness of public administration. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2014, no. 3 (39), pp. 48-63. (In Russian).
- Kondrat'ev V. The end of globalization or a new stage? Problemy teorii i praktiki upravleniya=Problems of Management Theory and Practice, 2017, no. 12, pp. 6-17. (In Russian).
- Mironov V.V., Konovalova L.D. On the relationship of structural changes and economic growth in the world economy and Russia. Voprosy ekonomiki=Economic Issues, 2019, no. 1, pp. 54-78. https://doi. org/. (In Russian).
- DOI: 10.32609/0042-8736-2019-1-54-78
- Transformatsiya struktury ekonomiki: mekhanizmy i upravlenie: monografiya [Transformation of the structure of the economy: mechanisms and management: monograph]. Under scientific editorship of A.A. Shirov. Moscow: MAKS Press, 2018. 264 p.
- Eicher T.S., Schreiber T. Structural policies and growth: time series evidence from a natural experiment. Journal of Development Economics, 2010, vol. 91, pp. 169-179.
- DOI: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2009.05.003
- Freire C. Economic diversification: a model of structural economic dynamics and endogenous technological change. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, 2019, no. 49, pp. 13-28.
- Kucera D., Jiang X. Structural transformation in emerging economies: leading sectors and the balanced growth hypothesis. Oxford Development Studies, 2019, vol. 47, pp. 188-204.
- Gizatullin Kh.N., Garipov F.N., Garipova Z.F. Problems of management of structural transformations in the regional economy. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2018, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 43-52. (In Russian).
- Baranov A.O., Goreev A.V. Assessment of the impact of national projects on the development of the Russian economy using a dynamic input-output model. EKO, 2019, no. 49 (10), pp. 94-114. Available at: http://dx.doi. org/. (In Russian).
- DOI: 10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2019-10-94-114
- Lukin E.V., Leonidova E.G., Sidorov M.A. Boosting domestic demand as a driving force of economic growth (on the example of domestic tourism sphere). Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2018, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 125-143.
- DOI: 10.15838/esc.2018.4.58.8
- Shirov A.A., Mikheeva N.A., Gusev M.S., Savchishina K.E. Macroeconomic stabilization and spatial development of the economy. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 2019, no. 5, pp. 5-15. (In Russian).
- Mel'nikov A.E. The role of mechanical engineering in the economy of the regions of the European North of Russia. In: Sever i Arktika v novoi paradigme mirovogo razvitiya. Luzinskie chteniya - 2016 [The North and the Arctic in the new paradigm of world development. Luzin readings - 2016]. Apatity: IEP KNTs RAN, 2016. Pp. 667-672. (In Russian).
- Topoleva T.N. Sustainable development of machine-building complex in a competitive environment. Ekonomicheskie issledovaniya i razrabotki=Economic Research and Development. Available at: http://edrj.ru/ article/05-02-2018. (In Russian).
- Nosonov A.M. Specifics of the formation and the laws of development of the information services market in Russia. Sovremennye problemy territorial'nogo razvitiya: elektron. zhurn.=Modern Issues of Territorial Development: Electronic Journal, 2017, no. 3
- Zuhdi U., Mori S., Kamegai K. Analyzing the role of ICT sector to the national economic structural changes by decomposition analysis: the case of Indonesia and Japan. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2012, vol. 65, pp. 749-754. Available at:
- DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.11.194
- Farhadi M., Ismail R., Fooladi M. Information and communication technology use and economic growth. PLoS ONE, 2012, no. 7 (11). Available at:
- DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0048903
- Digitalization of the Russian economy - from tactical tasks to strategic agenda. Available at: http://www.forecast.ru/_ARCHIVE/Presentations/DBelousov/2019-04-01cifro.pdf. (In Russian).
- Massidda C., Etzo I. The determinants of Italian domestic tourism: a panel data analysis. Tourism Management, 2012, no. 33, pp. 603-610.
- The share of import in industrial sectors of Russia. Available at: http://www.vestifinance.ru/infographics/4721 (accessed 06.09.2019). (In Russian).
- Ksenofontova M.Yu., Shirov A.A., Polzikov D.A., Yantovskii A.A. Assessing the multiplicative effects in the Russian economy on the basis of input-output tables. Problemy prognozirovaniya=Studies on Russian Economic Development, 2018, no. 2, pp. 3-13. (In Russian).