Social significance and some manifestations of economic activity of the dominant religious institution: the roman-catholic church of France
Автор: Balabeykina Olga A., Popova Elena V., Malinin Evgeniy A.
Статья в выпуске: 1 (98), 2022 года.
The research is focused on manifestation of the social role and economic activity of the country's dominant religious institution, Roman Catholic Church of France (RCCF), in the conditions of functioning of the model of state-church relations in France. Research hypothesis: RCCF, despite the secular trends in European society and other factors restricting its influence at present stage, remains an important religious institution in French society that has a significant impact on the socio-economic development of the country and its individual regions. The work substantiates culture-creating role of the RCCF in the country, based on the analysis in the dynamics of the initial statistical data concerning the degree of active participation of the population in religious ceremonies and rituals. The authors reveal nature, directions and main methods of implementation of the RCCF activities related to its social responsibility. Among them, the key ones at present stage are the fight against the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic; measures aimed at adaptation of migrants, provision of financial, advisory and other types of assistance to the segments of the population in need. It is concluded that, without the status of a state religious institution, the RCCF largely at its own expense duplicates the social functions of the state, carrying out its activities in the field of social responsibility in the areas most relevant for the society development. Based on the results of the calculation of the ratio of territorial concentration / diversification, it is confirmed that the cult infrastructure of the RCCF (parishes) is evenly distributed throughout the country, which creates an opportunity for everyone to take part in religious ceremonies and events not related to cult activity, and for those in need - to use numerous resources, offered at the parishes of the RCCF. Research results can be used by government and public authorities while developing and implementing measures related to church-state relations.
France, roman catholic church, social responsibility, economic activity, religious organization
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/140293602
Список литературы Social significance and some manifestations of economic activity of the dominant religious institution: the roman-catholic church of France
- Abdul'manova, E. S. (2016). Ekonomika i religiya: problema vzaimosvyazi i vzaimovliyaniya [Economics and religion: the problem of interrelationship and mutual influence]. Ekonomika isocium [Economy and society], 31(12-1), 43-48. (In Russ.).
- Bestaeva, I. M., & Kodzaeva, L. S. (2019). Innovacionnoe napravlenie v regional'noj ekonomike -religioznyj turizm (na primere Respubliki Severnaya Osetiya-Alaniya) [Innovative direction in the regional economy - religious tourism (on the example of the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania)]. Ekonomika, sociologiya i parvo [Economics, Sociology, and Law], 2, 4-8. (In Russ.).
- Veselova, A. R., & Goluenko, T. A. (2018). Gosudarstvenno-cerkovnye otnosheniya vo Francii i Germanii: sravnitel'nyj analiz [State-Church Relations in France and Germany: A Comparative Analysis]. Gorizonty obrazovaniya [Horizons of education], 20, 2-4. (In Russ.).
- Lavrovskij, B. L. (2009). Indikatory variacii v regional'nyh issledovaniyah [Indicators of variation in regional studies]: training manual. Novosibirsk: Publishing house of NSTU. (In Russ.).
- Osipov, E. A. (2018). Svetskoe obrazovanie v usloviyah rasprostraneniya religii. Primer Francii [Secular education in the context of the spread of religion. The example of France]. Politika i obshchestvo [Politics and Society], 2, 66-73. (In Russ.).
- Trofimov, S. V. (2019). Svetskoe obshchestvo: mazhoritarnaya religiya v men'shinstve [Secular society: majoritarian religion in the minority]. Sociologiya religii v obshchestve pozdnego moderna [The sociology of religion in late modern society], 8, 66-76. (In Russ.).
- Chernega, V. N. (2016). Franciya v poiskah otveta na islamistskuyu ugrozu [France in search of a response to the Islamist threat]. Aktual'nye problemy Evropy [Current Issues in Europe], 3, 93114. (In Russ.).
- Balabeikina, O. A., Kuznetsova, J. A., & Yankovskaya, A. A. (2020). The role of a religious institution in the developing and functioning of social and economic sphere (the case of the Roman Catholic Church of the Philippines). Servis v Rossii i za rubezhom [Services in Russia and Abroad], 14(3), 57-68. doi: 10.24411/1995-042X-2020-10304.
- Balabeikina, O. A., Yankovskaya, A. A., & Gavrilova, K. S. (2020). The social responsibility of religious institutions: case of the evangelical Lutheran church of Sweden. Service plus, 14(3), 85-93. doi: 10.24411/2413-693X2020-10310.
- Balabeikina, O. A., & Yankovskaya, A. A. (2021). Social'naya otvetstvennost' religioznyh organi-zacij (Na primere gosudarstvennoj hristianskoj cerkvi Anglii) [Social responsibility of religious organizations (On the example of the State Christian Church of England)]. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], 65(3), 130-138. doi: 10.24411/2413-693X-2020-10310.
- Karam, A. (2016). The Role of Religious Actors in Implementing the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. The ecumenical review, 68(4), 365-377. doi: 10.1111/erev.12241.
- Kettell, S. (2019). Social Capital and Religion in the United Kingdom. In: Manuel P., Glatzer M. (Eds). Faith-Based Organizations and Social Welfare. Palgrave Studies in Religion, Politics, and Policy. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kettell, S. (2019). Do We Need a 'Political Science of Religion'? Political Studies Review, 14(2). 210-222. doi:10.1111/1478-9302.12068.
- Liutikas, D. (2015). In search of miracles: Pilgrimage to the miraculous places. Tourism Review, 70(3), 197-213. doi: 10.1108/TR-08-2013-0046.
- Lois-Gonzalez, R. C., & Santos, X. M. (2015). Tourists and pilgrims on their way to Santiago. Motives, Caminos and final destinations. Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change, 13(2), 149-164. doi: 10.1080/14766825.2014.918985.
- Manuel, P. Ch., & Glatzer, M. (2019). Faith-Based Organizations and Social Welfare: Associa-tional Life and Religion in Contemporary Western Europe. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Molodikova, I. N., Lyalina, A. V., & Emelyanova, L. L. (2018). Contacts with Diasporas and Diaspora Organizations as a Key to a Successful Migrant Integration Policy in the EU. Baltic Region, 10(3), 58-79. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2018-3-4.
- Moulinet, Ph. (2015). L'Islam et l'esprit français: La réalité muhammadienne. Beyrouth: Dar Albouraq. (In Fr.).
- Ravet, B. (2017). Principal de college ou Imam de la République? Paris: Kero.
- Ribberink, E., Achtenberg, P., & Houtman, D. (2017). A post-secular turn in attitudes towards religion? Anti-religiosity and anti-Muslim sentiment in Western Europe. Rassegna Italiana diSo-ciologica, 58(4), 803-830. doi: 10.1423/88795.
- Rogers, M. (2018). Does religion always help the poor? Variations in religion and social class in the west and societies in the global south. Palgrave Communications, 4(1), 73. doi: 10.1057/s41599-018-0135-3.
- Vidino, L. (2017). The Muslim Brotherhood in Austria. Washington: George Washington University.