Russian tourism during the COVID-19: assessing effect of stimulating domestic demand for the country and regions’ economy
Автор: Leonidova Ekaterina G.
Рубрика: Sectoral economic studies
Статья в выпуске: 2 т.14, 2021 года.
The COVID-19 pandemic has struck the tourism industry all over the world significantly reducing industry’s revenue and number of jobs. It has had a negative impact on the global economy. In Russia, the tourism sector was one of the most affected areas due to the quarantine restrictions that made the government take several supporting measures to mitigate the coronavirus effects and restore demand for tourist services. It actualizes the problem of assessing economic effects after stimulating consumption of tourism goods and services, as well as identifying and justifying the development directions of Russian tourism in un ntific novelty of the research is to determine, on the basis of inter-sectoral modeling, the effect for the Russian economy from the implementation of the program of subsidizing domestic tourist trips - so-called tourist cashback. The results of the study have identified the importance of stimulating population’s demand for recreation within the country for economy and have found the territorial disparity problem in the distribution of the increase in gross output caused by Russian tourist’s consumption growth. As for the research methodological base, the author uses general scientific methods of analysis, synthesis, comparison, generalization, and tools based on input-output analysis methodology. Information base includes the works of domestic and foreign scientists dealing with tourism development problems in the post-crisis period, the assessment of its impact on economic parameters, as well as information from state statistics authorities, data from the World Bank, the World Tourism Organization, and the Russian Public Opinion Research Center. The prospects for future studies are related to designing regional tourism development areas that contribute to the increase in population’s consumption volume of tourist products and growing competitiveness of the latter.
Tourism, cashback, covid-19, economy, input-output analysis, domestic consumer demand
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234739
IDR: 147234739 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.2.74.4
Список литературы Russian tourism during the COVID-19: assessing effect of stimulating domestic demand for the country and regions’ economy
- Aistov A.V., Nikolaeva T.P. Tourism- led growth hypothesis. Prikladnaya ekonometrika=Applied Econometrics, 2019, no. 4, pp. 5–24 (in Russian).
- Fedorova E.A., Chernikova L.I., Pastukhova A.E., Shiryaeva L.K. Tourism and economic growth: Regional aspect. EKO=ECO, 2020, no. 50 (9), pp. 138–155. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2020-9-138-155 (in Russian).
- Antonakakis N., Dragouni M., Filis G. How strong is the linkage between tourism and economic growth in Europe? Economic Modelling, 2015, vol. 44, pp. 142–155. DOI: 10.1016/j.econmod.2014.10.018
- Balaguer J., Cantavella-Jordá M. Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: The Spanish case. Applied Economics, 2002, vol. 34, is. 7, pp. 877–884. DOI: 10.1080/00036840110058923
- Del P. Pablo-Romero M., Molina J.A. Tourism and economic growth: A review of empirical literature. Tourism Management Perspectives, 2013, vol. 8, pp. 28–41.
- Lin V.S., Yang Y., Li G. Where Can Tourism-Led Growth and Economy-Driven Tourism Growth Occur? Journal of Travel Research, 2019, vol. 58, is. 5, pp. 760–773. DOI: 10.1177/0047287518773919
- Risso W.A. Tourism and economic growth: A worldwide study. Tourism Analysis, 018, vol. 23, is. 1, pp. 123–135.
- Shahzad S.J.H., Shahbaz M., Ferrer R., Kumar R.R. Tourism-led growth hypothesis in the top ten tourist destinations: New evidence using the quantile-on-quantile approach. Tourism Management,. 2017, vol. 60, pp. 223–232. DOI: 10.1016/j.tourman.2016.12.006
- Gursoy D., Christina G. Chi Effects of COVID-19 pandemic on hospitality industry: review of the current situations and a research agenda. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 2020, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 527–529. DOI: 10.1080/19368623.2020.1788231
- Jones, Peter and Comfort, Daphne The COVID-19 Crisis and Sustainability in the Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 2020, no. 32 (10). pp. 3037–3050. DOI: 10.1108/IJCHM-04-2020-0357
- Ashikul Hoque, Farzana Afrin Shikha,Mohammad Waliul Hasanat, Ishtiaque Arif, Abu Bakar Abdul Hamid. The Effect of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Tourism Industry in China. Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 2020, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–7.
- Lavrova T.A. analysis of the economic state of the tourism industry of the Russian Federation in the context of the spread of COVID-19. Vestnik natsional’noi akademii turizma=Vestnik of National Tourism Academy, 2020, no. 4, pp. 10–13 (in Russian).
- Timokhin D.V., Allakhverdieva L.M., Koishinova G.K. Development of the Russian tourism industry in the context of COVID-19 risks spread based on the economic cross model. Ekonomika, predprinimatel’stvo i pravo=Journal of Economics, Entrepreneurship and Law, 2020, no. 11, pp. 2791–2804 (in Russian).
- Gunare M., Afanas’ev O.E. Individual tourism is waiting for change. Sovremennye problemy servisa i turizma=Service and Tourism: Current Challenges, 2020, vol. 4, no. 2 (89), pp. 197–204 (in Russian).
- Leonidova E.G. Strategic-based approach in developing of tourism in the context of modeling structural changes in the regional economy. Upravlencheskoe konsul’tirovanie=Administrative Consulting, 2019, no. 12 (132), pp. 133–141 (in Russian).
- Sorokin D.E., Sharafutdinov V.N., Onishchenko E.V. On the problems of strategic development of tourism in the regions of Russia (case of the Krasnodar region and the resort city of Sochi). Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2017, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 764–776 (in Russian).
- Mosalev A.I., Dement’ev D.A. System of managerial institutions in the sphere of tourism. Problemy teorii i praktiki upravleniya=International Journal of Management Theory and Practice, 2020, no. 4, pp. 121–131 (in Russian).
- Bucher S. Competitiveness of the Russian Federation in the global tourism market. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2016, no. 1, pp. 240–250 (in Russian).
- Sharafutdinov V.N., Onishchenko E.V., Nakonechny A.I. Tourism Technological platform as a tool to ensure the competitiveness of regional tourism products. Region: ekonomika i sotsiologiya=Region: Economics and Sociology, 2019, no. 1, pp. 114–132 (in Russian).
- Leonidova E.G., Sidorov M.A. Structural changes in the economy: Searching for sectoral drivers of growth. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2019, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 166–181. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2019.6.66.9 (in Russian).
- Sung Linlin. Evolution and trends of development of the sphere of tourism in the Province of Heilongjiang. Vlast’ i upravlenie na Vostoke Rossii=Power and Administration in the East of Russia, 2019, no. 2, pp. 29–35. DOI: 10.22394/1818-4049-2019-87-2-29-35 (in Russian).
- Leonidova E.G. Stimulating final consumption within the reduction of regional inequality. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2020, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 59–73. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.3.69.5 (in Russian).