Rural Development in the Context of Spatial Compression of a Northern Region
Автор: Uskova T.V., Patrakova S.S.
Рубрика: Regional economy
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
Ensuring balanced spatial development and reducing inter- and intra-regional imbalances are strategically important issues for Russia. However, finding a solution to these issues is complicated by the growing concentration of human, industrial, and scientific potential in large cities, major cities, and metropolises, depopulation and economic desertification of rural areas, that is, disintegration and compression of the country’s economic space. This is especially acute in the northern regions of Russia. The aim of the article is to study the problems and determine the prospects for development of rural areas of the northern region in the context of spatial compression on the example of the European North of Russia. We point out that the social, economic, and infrastructural issues observed in rural areas have remained unresolved since the 1990s. Rural population decline caused by the destruction of the socioeconomic potential of these territories is a key factor in the compression of the space of the northern region, degradation of the village and loss of its human capital. The reason lies not only in the shock transition to the market in the 1990s, but also in the ineffective state policy for rural development in the post-reform period, and in the absence of a strategic vision of the place of rural territories in the national space. Having analyzed the current state of the rural periphery and taking into account the need to shift to neo-endogenous rural development, we identify three priorities of state policy in the field of rural development in the North of Russia. They are as follows: development of the rural economy, modernization of rural infrastructure, and comprehensive development of human capital as the ultimate goal of all economic and social transformations. The findings of our work contribute to the formation of ideas about trends in spatial development of the northern regions of Russia and socio-economic issues of rural areas; they can be used by researchers in their studies on similar topics, and by public authorities when they need to work out strategic documents in the field of spatial development.
Rural territories, northern region, economic space, disintegration, locational compression
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234806
IDR: 147234806 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.2
Список литературы Rural Development in the Context of Spatial Compression of a Northern Region
- Abramov R.A. Features of the development of the northern regions of Russia. Regional’naya ekonomika: teoriya i praktika=Regional Economics: Theory and Practice, 2008, no. 11 (68), pp. 15–21 (In Russian).
- Lazhentsev V.N., Ivanov V.A. Rural development strategy of the northern region. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2020, vol. 16, issue 3, pp. 696–711. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17059/ekon.reg.2020–3-2 (In Russian).
- Palatkin I.V., Kudryavtsev A.A. (Eds.). Sel’skokhozyaistvennaya potrebitel’skaya kooperatsiya kak osnova razvitiya sel’skikh territorii i grazhdanskogo obshchestva: monografiya [Agricultural Consumer Cooperation as a Basis for the Development of Rural Areas and Civil Society: Monograph]. Penza: PDZ, 2012. 150 p.
- Petrikov A.V. (Ed.). Ustoichivoe razvitie sel’skikh territorii: regional’nyi aspekt: nauch. tr. VIAPI im. A.A. Nikonova [Sustainable Development of Rural Areas: Regional Aspect: Scientific Work of Nikonov All-Russian Institute for Agrarian Problems and Informatics]. Issue. 25. Moscow: VIAPI im. A.A. Nikonova: ERD, 2009. 272 p.
- Chepurnykh N.V., Novoselov A.L, Merzlov A.V. Regional’noe razvitie: sel’skaya mestnost’ [Regional Development: Rural Area]. Moscow: Nauka, 2006. 384 p.
- Launhardt W. Die Bestimmung des zweckmässigsten Standortes einer gewerblichen Anlage. Zeitschrift des Vereines deutscher Ingenieure, 1882, vol. 26, pp. 106–115.
- Christaller W. Die Zentralen Orte in Suddeutschland. Jena: Gustav Fischer, 1933. 230 p.
- Lösch A. Die räumliche Ordnung der Wirtschaft: eine Untersuchung über Standort, Wirtschaftsgebiete und internationalem Handel. Jena: Fischer, 1940. 348 p.
- Isard W. Location and Space-Economy: A General Theory Relating to Industrial Location, Market Areas, Land Use, Trade, and Urban Structure. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1956. 369 p.
- Fujita M., Krugman P., Venables A.J. The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions and International Trade. Cambridge: The MIT Press. 1999, 382 p.
- Gkartzios M., Lowe P. Revisiting neo-endogenous rural development. In: Scott M., Gallent N., Gkartzios M. (Eds.). The Routledge Companion to Rural Planning: A Handbook for Practice. London: Routledge, 2019. 696 p. DOI: 10.4324/9781315102375
- Bosworth G., Price L., Hakulinen V., Marango S. Rural social innovation and neo-endogenous rural development. In: Cejudo E., Navarro F. (Eds.). Neoendogenous Development in European Rural Areas. Springer, Cham, 2020. 304 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-33463-5
- Kim T.-Y. The Turning Towards Neo-Endogenous Rural Development of the Farmers Network: The Case of the Regional Agricultural Custer Scheme in Asan City. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 2014, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 902–913. DOI: 10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.902
- Ward N., Atterton J., Kim T.Y., Lowe P., Phillipson J., Thompson N. Universities, the knowledge economy and ‘neo-endogenous rural development’. Centre for Rural Economy Discussion Paper Series, 2005, no. 1, рp. 1–15.
- Kostyaev A.I. Conceptual approaches to the development of rural areas, taking into account the European experience. Agrarnaya nauka Evro-Severo-Vostoka=Agricultural Science Euro-North-East, 2018, no. 6, pp. 141–148 (In Russian).
- Ivanov V.A. Features and areas of village and rural economy development in the Northern region. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2019, no. 4 (102), pp. 55–71. DOI: 10.15838/ptd.2019.4.102.3 (In Russian).
- Erokhin V., Heijman W., Ivolga A. Sustainable rural development in Russia through diversification: The case of the Stavropol Region. Visegrad Journal on Bioeconomy and Sustainable Development, 2014. vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 20–25. DOI: 10.2478/vjbsd-2014-0004
- Ivanov V.A. Problems of sustainable development of rural areas of the northern region. Izvestiya Komi nauchnogo tsentra URO RAN=Bulletin of the Komi Scientific Center of the Ural Branch of RAS, 2012, no. 3 (11), pp. 108–114 (In Russian).
- Nikiforov L.V., Kuznetsova T.E. City and village: Features of integration in the Soviet and post-Soviet periods. Zhurnal issledovanii sotsial’noi politiki=The Journal of Social Policy Studies, 2007, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 179–200 (In Russian).
- Ilyin V.I. People in the old Russian North: Between free will and structural coercion (a historical essay in terms of existential sociology). Mir Rossii. Sotsiologiya. Etnologiya=Universe of Russia. Sociology. Ethnology, 2020, no. 3, pp. 6–27 (In Russian).
- Berdegue J. A., Carriazo F., Jara B., Modrego F. Soloaga I. Cities, territories, and inclusive growth: Unraveling urban–rural linkages in Chile, Colombia, and Mexico. World Development, 2015, vol. 73, pp. 56–71.
- Ebrahimzadeh I., Tayyebi N., Shafei Y. Functional analysis of small towns economic role in rural development. Case study: Zahedshahr, Iran. Journal of Service Science and Management, 2012, vol. 3, pp. 269–279.
- Uskova T.V., Voroshilov N.V. Integrated development of rural territories – a task of national importance. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2019, no. 6 (104), pp. 7–20. DOI: 10.15838/ptd.2019.6.104.1 (In Russian).
- Nefedova T.G., Treivish A.I. Polarization and shrinkage of active space in the core of Russia: Trends, problems and possible solutions. Demograficheskoe obozrenie=Demographic Review, 2020, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 31–53 (In Russian).
- Pivovarov Yu.L. Alternative concept of macro-regional development of Russia: Compression of intensively used space. Mir Rossii=Universe of Russia, 1996, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 63–74 (In Russian).
- Bezrukov L.A. Compression of space: myths and reality. In: Szhatie sotsial’no-ekonomicheskogo prostranstva: novoe v teorii regional’nogo razvitiya i praktike ego gosudarstvennogo regulirovaniya [Compression of Socio-Economic Space: Novelties in the Theory of Regional Development and Practice of Its State Regulation]. Moscow: Eslan, 2010. Pp. 32–49 (In Russian).
- Kozhevnikov S.A. Integration of economic space of the Northern region: features and problems of ensuring. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2020, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 68–83. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.6.72.4 (In Russian).
- Kozhevnikov S.A., Patrakova S.S. Integration processes in the European North from the perspective of the interregional population migrations. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2020, no. 5 (109), pp. 134–150. DOI: 10.15838/ptd.2020.5.109.9 (In Russian).
- Voroshilov N.V. Classification, problems and prospects for rural territory development. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2018, no. 4 (96), pp. 42–58. DOI: 10.15838/ptd.2018.4.96.3 (In Russian).
- Uskova T.V. et al. Postsovetskie transformatsii i perspektivy razvitiya sel’skikh territorii [Post-Soviet Transformations and Prospects for Rural Development]. Vologda: Vologodskii nauchnyi tsentr RAN, 2021. 334 p.
- Ushachev I.G., Bondarenko L.V., Chekalin V.S. Main directions of integrated development of Russia’s rural territories. Vestnik Rossiiskoi akademii nauk=Herald of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2021, no. 4, pp. 316– 325. DOI: 10.31857/S0869587321040113 (In Russian).
- Patrakova S.S. Countryside as an element of the territory’s supporting frame. Voprosy territorial’nogo razvitiya=Territorial Development Issues, 2020, vol. 8, no. 1. DOI: 10.15838/tdi.2020.1.51.1. Available at: http://vtr.isert-ran.ru/article/28471 (In Russian).
- Voroshilov N.V. Assessing the socio-economic potential of rural territories. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2021, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 91–109. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.1.73.7 (In Russian).
- Ivanov V.A. Scientific bases for elaborating a rural development strategy in the zone of the North and the Arctic. Korporativnoe upravlenie i innovatsionnoe razvitie ekonomiki Severa: Vestnik Nauchno-issledovatel’skogo tsentra korporativnogo prava, upravleniya i venchurnogo investirovaniya Syktyvkarskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta=Corporate Governance and Innovation Development of the Economy of the North: Bulletin of the Research Center of Corporate Law, Management and Venture Investment of Syktyvkar State University, 2021, vol. 1, issue 1, pp. 22–30. DOI: 10.34130/2070-4992- 2021-1-1-22 (In Russian).
- Mamai O.V., Lipatova N.N., Kupryaeva M.N. Modern condition and prospects for the development of agricultural cooperation. Vestnik NGIEI=Bulletin of Nizhny Novgorod State University of Engineering and Economics, 2019, no. 1 (92), pp. 106–117 (In Russian).
- Adukov R.Kh., Adukova A.N. Rural territories: New approaches to assessing the potential and reserves of development. Ekonomika sel’skokhozyaistvennykh i pererabatyvayushchikh predpriyatii=Economics of Agricultural and Processing Enterprises, 2019, no. 12, pp. 10–14 (In Russian).