Properties of Nano Engineered Concrete Subjected to Accelerated Corrosion
Автор: A. Maher El-Tair, M.S. El-Feky, Alaa Mohsen, M. Kohail
Рубрика: Construction material science
Статья в выпуске: 5 Vol.13, 2021 года.
Introduction. Many research had worked on improving the performance of concrete subjected to severe environment and improve concrete corrosion resistance. Using nano-materials is one of the methods had been used recently to improve concrete properties. In this research, a comparison between the performance of nano-silica and nano-clay in enhancing the durability properties of concrete was investigated. Methods and Materials. The experimental program was carried out through examining water absorption, water permeability, rapid chloride penetration test, corrosion resistance, bond strength of steel rebar before and after subjected to corrosion, and finally microstructure test. Nano-silica and nano-clay were added at 1%, 3%, and 5% as a partial replacement by weight of cement. Results. Both nano-silica and nano-clay showed significant performance in reducing the permeability and porosity of concrete and improve corrosion resistance of concrete. For comparison, nano-clay had a significant impact than that of nano-silica on concrete properties; in which the water permeability resistance of nano-clay mixes was enhanced by 87% than that of the control mix, while for nano-silica, it was 51% only. The chloride ion penetration was reduced by 72% for nanoclay mixes, while in nano-silica was 28%. Discussion. Nano-clay had a significant effect than that of nano-silica on the concrete durability properties; the flat-shaped of nano-clay particles had improved the microstructure of the cement matrix through the damping effect, besides the filling effect through the microstructure of the matrix which reduces the chloride ion penetration and improves water absorption and permeability of concrete. Conclusion. The optimum percentage of nano-silica is 1% by weight of cement as a partial replacement of cement by weight. However, for nano-clay is 5%, which gives the best performance in improve the durability properties of concrete.
Nano-silica, nano-clay, permeability, chloride penetration, bond strength, corrosion resistance, microstructure analysis
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/142228307
IDR: 142228307 | DOI: 10.15828/2075-8545-2021-13-5-293-305
Список литературы Properties of Nano Engineered Concrete Subjected to Accelerated Corrosion
- “The Report Egypt 2016”, reported submitted by Oxford Business Group, www.oxfordbusinessgrouo.com.
- “Environmental and social impact assessment (ESIA) for Egyptian EETC 500 kV transmission lines project”, reported by EcoConServ, Sept. 2015.
- Angst U. M. Challenges and opportunities in corrosion of steel in concrete. Materials and Structures. 2018; 51(1): 1–20.
- QuraishiM. A., Nayak D. K., Kumar R., Kumar V. Corrosion of reinforced steel in concrete and its control: An overview. Journal of Steel Structures and Construction. 2017; 3(1): 1–6.
- Guevara B., Juárez C., Fajardo G., Castro-Borges P. Shear strength behaviour on corrosion damaged stirrups of reinforced concrete beams. RevistaIngeniería de Construcción. 2011; 24(3): 259–270.
- Angst U., Elsener B., Larsen C. K., Vennesland Ø. Critical chloride content in reinforced concrete – a review. Cement and concrete research. 2009; 39(12): 1122–1138.
- Moser R. D., Singh P. M., Kahn L. F., Kurtis K. E. Chloride-induced corrosion resistance of high-strength stainless steels in simulated alkaline and carbonated concrete pore solutions. Corrosion Science. 2012; 57: 241–253.
- Ahmad S. Reinforcement corrosion in concrete structures, its monitoring and service life prediction – a review. Cement and concrete composites. 2003; 25(4-5): 459-471.
- Gerengi H., Kocak Y., Jazdzewska A., Kurtay M., Durgun H. Electrochemical investigations on the corrosion behavior of reinforcing steel in diatomite-and zeolite-containing concrete exposed to sulphuric acid. Construction and Building Materials. 2013; 49: 471-477.
- Pradhan B., Bhattacharjee B. Rebar corrosion in chloride environment. Construction and Building Materials. 2011; 25(5): 2565–2575.
- Pradhan B., Bhattacharjee B. Performance evaluation of rebar in chloride contaminated concrete by corrosion rate. Construction and building materials. 2009; 23(6): 2346–2356.
- EGüneyisi E., Gesoğlu M., Karaboğa F., Mermerdaş K. Corrosion behavior of reinforcing steel embedded in chloride contaminated concretes with and without metakaolin. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2013; 45(1): 1288–1295.
- Sharobim K. G., Mohammedin H., Hanna N. F., El-Feky M. S., Khattab E., El-Tair A. M. Optimizing sonication time and solid to liquid ratio of nano-silica in high strength mortars. Int J Curr Trends Eng Res. 2017; 3: 6–16.
- Sharobim K. G., Mohamadien H. A., Hanna N. F., El-Feky M. S., Khattab E., El-TairA. M. Optimizing sonication time and solid to liquid ratio of nano-silica in high strength concrete. Int J SciEng Res. 2017; 8: 687–693.
- El-Feky M. S., El-Rayes M. The Effect of Nano Cellulose Synthesized from Rice Straw on the Performance of Cement Composite Reinforced with Carbon Nano Tubes. International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research. 2019; 8(10): 2401–2410.
- El-Feky M. S., El-Tair A. M., Kohail M., Serag M. I. Nano-fibrillated cellulose as a green alternative to carbon nanotubes in nano reinforced cement composites. Int J InnovTechnolExplor Eng. 2019; 8: 484–491.
- El-Feky M. S., Youssef P., El-Tair A. M., Ibrahim S., Serag M. Effect of nano silica addition on enhancing the performance of cement composites reinforced with nano cellulose fibers. AIMS Materials Science. 2019; 6(6): 864–883.
- El-Feky M. S., El-Khodary S. A., Morsy M. Optimization of hybrid cement composite with carbon nanotubes and nano silica using response surface design. Egyptian Journal of Chemistry, 62(The First International Conference on Molecular Modeling and Spectroscopy 19-22 February, 2019), 2019; 57–67.
- Hashem M. M., Serag M.I., Elkady H., El-Feky M. Increasing the reactivity of silica fume particles using indirect sonication: effect of process parameters. Civ Environ Res. 2015; 2: 537–557.
- Mohamadien, H. A. The Effect of marble powder and silica fume as partial replacement for cement on mortar. International journal of civil and structural engineering. 2012; 3(2): 418.
- Karaşin A., Doğruyol M. An experimental study on strength and durability for utilization of fly ash in concrete mix. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2014.
- Zhou Q., Lu C., Wang W., Wei S., Lu C., Hao M. Effect of fly ash and sustained uniaxial compressive loading on chloride diffusion in concrete. Journal of Building Engineering. 2020; 31: 101394.
- Wang W., Lu C. Time-varying law of rebar corrosion rate in fly ash concrete. Journal of hazardous materials. 2018; 360: 520-528.
- Wang X. Y., Lee H. S. Effect of global warming on the proportional design of low CO2 slag-blended concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2019; 225: 1140–1151.
- Yan X., Jiang L., Guo M., Chen Y., Song Z.,Bian R. Evaluation of sulfate resistance of slag contained concrete under steam curing. Construction and Building Materials. 2019; 195: 231–237.
- Teixeira E. R., Camões A., Branco F. G., Aguiar J. B., Fangueiro R. Recycling of biomass and coal fly ash as cement replacement material and its effect on hydration and carbonation of concrete. Waste Management. 2019; 94: 39–48.
- Duffó G. S., Reinoso M., Ramos C. P., Farina S. B. Characterization of steel rebars embedded in a 70-year old concrete structure. Cement and concrete research. 2012; 42(1): 111–117.
- Khan I., François R., Castel A. Prediction of reinforcement corrosion using corrosion induced cracks width in corroded reinforced concrete beams. Cement and concrete research. 2014; 56: 84–96.
- Elkady H.M., Yasien A.M., Elfeky M. S.,Serag M.E. Assessment of mechanical strength of nano silica concrete (NSC) subjected to elevated temperatures. Journal of Structural Fire Engineering. 2019.
- Batis G., Pantazopoulou P., Tsivilis S., Badogiannis E. The effect of metakaolin on the corrosion behavior of cement mortars. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2005; 27(1): 125–130.
- BoradeA. N., KondraivendhanB. Effect of metakaolin and slag blended cement on corrosion behaviour of concrete. In: Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on civil engineering and materials science. 2017; 216.
- Siddique R., Klaus J. Influence of metakaolin on the properties of mortar and concrete: A review. Applied Clay Science. 2009; 43(3-4): 392–400.
- Ramezanianpour A.A., Jovein H.B. Influence of metakaolin as supplementary cementing material on strength and durability of concretes. Construction and Building materials. 2012; 30: 470–479.
- Gameiro A.L., Santos Silva A., Veiga M.D.R., Velosa A.L. Lime-metakaolin hydration products: a microscopy analysis. Materiali in tehnologije, 2012; 46(2): 145–148.
- Youssef P., El-Feky M.S., Serag M.I. The Influence of Nano silica surface area on its reactivity in cement composites. Int J SciEng Res. 2017; 8: 2016–2024.
- El-Feky M.S., El-Khodary S.A., Morsy M. Optimization of hybrid cement composite with carbon nanotubes and nano silica using response surface design. Egyptian Journal of Chemistry, 62(The First International Conference on Molecular Modeling and Spectroscopy 19-22 February, 2019). 2019; 57–67.
- Serag M.I., Yasien A.M., El-Feky M. S., Elkady H. Effect of nano silica on concrete bond strength modes of failure. Int J GEOMATE. 2017; 12: 2892–2899.
- El-Feky M. S., Serag M. I., Yasien A. M., Elkady H. Bond strength of nano silica concrete subjected to corrosive environments. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016; 11(23): 13909–13924.
- Hamed N., El-Feky M.S., Kohail M., Nasr E.S. A. Effect of nano-clay de-agglomeration on mechanical properties of concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2019; 205: 245–256.
- El-Feky M.S., Youssef P., El-Tair A., Serag M. Indirect sonication effect on the dispersion, reactivity, and microstructure of ordinary portland cement matrix. AIMS Materials Science. 2019; 6(5): 781–797.
- Sikora P., Lootens D., Liard M., Stephan D. The effects of seawater and nanosilica on the performance of blended cements and composites. Applied Nanoscience. 2020; 1–18.
- AbdElrahman M., Chung S. Y., Sikora P., Rucinska T., Stephan D. Influence of nanosilica on mechanical properties, sorptivity, and microstructure of lightweight concrete. Materials.2019; 12(19): 3078.
- El-Tair A. M., El-Feky M. S., Sharobim K. G., Mohammedin H., Kohail M. Improving the reactivity of clay nano-partciles in high strength mortars through indirect sonication method. Int J SciTechnol Res. 2020; 9: 1045–1054.
- Elkady H., Serag M. I., Elfeky M. S. Effect of nano silica de-agglomeration, and methods of adding super-plasticizer on the compressive strength, and workability of nano silica concrete. Civil and environmental research. 2013; 3(2): 21–34.
- ASTM C150-02 Standard Specification for Portland cement, Annual book of ASTM standards, 2002.
- ASTM C33, Standard Specification for concrete aggregate.
- CRD-C48-92, Standard test method for water permeability of concrete.
- ASTM A944-10, Standard test method for comparing bond strength of steel reinforcing bars to concrete using beam-end specimens.
- ASTM C876-15, Standard test method for corrosion potentials of uncoated reinforcing steel in concrete.
- ASTM C1202, Standard test method for electrical indication of concrete’s ability to resist chloride ion penetration.
- Keleştemur O., Demirel B. Effect of metakaolin on the corrosion resistance of structural lightweight concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2015; 81: 172–178.
- Eskandari-Naddaf H., Ziaei-Nia A. Simultaneous effect of nano and micro silica on corrosion behaviour of reinforcement in concrete containing cement strength grade of C-525. Procedia Manufacturing. 2018; 22: 399–405.
- Serag M., Elkady H., Elfeky M. The effect of indirect sonication on the reactivity of nano silica concrete. International Jr. of scientific and engineering research, IJSER. 2014; 12: 334–345.
- Gamal H. A., El-Feky M. S., Alharbi Y. R., Abadel A. A., Kohail M. Enhancement of the concrete durability with hybrid nano materials. Sustainability. 2021; 13(3): 1373.
- Arandigoyen M., Alvarez J. I. Blended pastes of cement and lime: Pore structure and capillary porosity. Applied surface science. 2006; 252(23): 8077–8085.
- Shi J. J., Sun W. Effects of phosphate on the chloride-induced corrosion behavior of reinforcing steel in mortars. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2014; 45: 166–175.
- Civjan S. A., LaFave J. M., Trybulski J., Lovett D., Lima J., Pfeifer D. W. Effectiveness of corrosion inhibiting admixture combinations in structural concrete. Cement and Concrete composites. 2005: 27(6); 688–703.
- Ghasemi A.R., Parhizkar T., Ramezanianpour A.A. Influence of colloidal nano-SiO2 addition as silica fume replacement material in properties of concrete. In: Proceeding, Second international conference on sustainable construction materials and technologies. 2010, p. 28–30.
- Du H., Du S., Liu X. Effect of nano-silica on the mechanical and transport properties of lightweight concrete. Construction and Building Materials. 2015; 82, 114–122.