Investigating the Approaches to National Innovation Systems Modeling
Автор: Volchik V.V., Maslyukova E.V., Panteeva S.A.
Рубрика: Scientific reviews
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The article analyzes some modern approaches to modeling national innovation systems that are presented in scientific literature. We use modern methods for analyzing bibliography and preparing literature reviews: co-occurrence, and the PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses) method. With the help of this approach we conduct relational analysis of documents by systematizing and arranging keywords into special semantic clusters that reflect interest in modeling national innovation systems. The research focuses on mathematical models of national innovation systems and models that use empirical quantitative data analyzed with the help of various econometric methods based on the Russian specifics of economic development. In this regard, when searching for and analyzing relevant sources, we used the filters “Russian innovation system”, “national innovation system and Russia”. We have revealed that the majority of publications focuses on such aspects as digitalization, neo-industrialization, innovation policy and technology. We identify four directions for modeling national innovation systems: macroeconomic modeling of innovation systems, modeling of growth based on the development of innovation systems, modeling of innovative activity of firms, modeling of institutional factors contributing to the development of innovation systems. The national innovation system is modeled mainly through the use of indicators related to patenting, the volume of exports and the production of innovations. Factors determining the development of national innovation systems in this context include R&D and innovation expenses, investment in technology, education, infrastructure, human resources and the quality of human capital. Conclusions on the analyzed models often do not coincide regarding the role of the state in financing innovations, the role of various elements of the institutional structure of the economy, such as intellectual property rights and mechanisms for their protection, as well as the role of political factors. On the other hand, the conclusions are consistent in terms of the impact of innovation on economic growth and development: we note a positive correlation with indicators reflecting the development of national innovation systems.
Innovation, national innovation system, economic growth, institutional structure, economic policy, Russian innovation system
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234812
IDR: 147234812 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.8
Список литературы Investigating the Approaches to National Innovation Systems Modeling
- Romer P.M. Increasing returns and long-run growth. Journal of Political Economy, 1986, no. 94, pp. 1002–1037.
- Romer P.M. Why, indeed, in America? Theory, history, and the origins of modern economic growth. American Economic Review, 1996, no. 86(2), pp. 202–206.
- Nelson R.R., Romer P.M. Science, economic growth, and public policy. Challenge, 1996, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 9–21
- Golichenko O.G. National innovation systems: From conception toward the methodology of analysis. Voprosy ekonomiki, 2014, no. 7, pp. 35–50 (In Russian).
- Lundvall B.Å. Innovation as an interactive process: from user-producer interaction to the national systems of innovation. In: The Learning Economy and the Economics of Hope. Ed. by B.Å. Lundvall. London, New York, NY: Anthem Press, 2016. P. 61.
- Van der Heijden J., Kuhlmann J. Studying incremental institutional change: A systematic and critical metareview of the literature from 2005 to 2015. Policy Studies Journal, 2016, no. 45(3), pp. 535–554.
- Kreshpaj B., Orellana C., Burström B., Davis L., Hemmingsson T., Johansson G., Bodin T. What is precarious employment? A systematic review of definitions and operationalizations from quantitative and qualitative studies. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, 2020, no. 46(3), pp. 235–247.
- Figueiredo F., Rocha L., Couto T., Salles T., Gonçalves M. A., Meira Jr W. Word co-occurrence features for text classification. Information Systems, 2011, no. 36 (5), pp. 843–858.
- Lee P. C., Su H.N. Investigating the structure of regional innovation system research through keyword co-occurrence and social network analysis. Innovation, 2010, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 26–40.
- Liberati A., Altman D.G., Tetzlaff J., Mulrow C., Gøtzsche P. C., Ioannidis J. P., Moher D. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 2009, no. 62 (10), pp. 1–34.
- Zelenkov Y.A., Sharsheeva J.A. Impact of the investment in supercomputers on national innovation system and country’s development. In: International Conference on Parallel Computational Technologies. Cham: Springer, 2017. Pp. 42–57.
- Perret J.K. Re-evaluating the knowledge production function for the regions of the Russian Federation. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 2019, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 670–694.
- Nasierowski W., Arcelus F.J. On the efficiency of national innovation systems. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 2003, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 215–234.
- Juřičková E., Pilik M., Kwarteng M.A. Efficiency measurement of national innovation systems of the European Union countries: DEA model application. Journal of International Studies, 2019, no. 12 (4), pp. 286–299.
- Kornev V. et al. National innovation system: Experience of formation, revealing patterns of development, regulation. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences. Rome: MCSER Publishing, 2015, vol. 6, no. 6.
- Pan T.W., Hung S.W., Lu W.M. DEA performance measurement of the national innovation system in Asia and Europe. Asia-Pacific Journal of Оperational Research, 2010, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 369–392.
- Matrizaev B.D. Study of the comparative efficiency of the national innovation system and the quality of economic growth: on the example of a comparative analysis of OECD and BRICS countries. Voprosy innovatsionnoi ekonomiki=Russian Journal of Innovation Economics, 2019, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 673–692 (In Russian).
- Bacon D., Forner D., Ozcan S. Machine learning approach for national innovation performance data analysis. In: 8th International Conference on Data Science, Technology and Applications. SciTePress, 2019, pp. 325–331.
- Mikhaylov A.S. et al. Knowledge geography for measuring the divergence in intellectual capital of Russia. Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 2020, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 121–135.
- Mikhailov A.S., Kuznetsova T.Y., Peker I.Y. Methods of spatial scientometrics in assessing the heterogeneity of the innovation space of Russia. Perspektivy nauki i obrazovaniya, 2019, no. 5 (41), p. 549.
- Zemtsov S., Kotsemir M. An assessment of regional innovation system efficiency in Russia: The application of the DEA approach. Scientometrics, 2019, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 375–404.
- Ervits I. et al. Economic potential of internationally-oriented patenting activity in Russia. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 2019, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 75–94.
- Afzal M.N.I. An empirical investigation of the National Innovation System (NIS) using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and the TOBIT model. International Review of Applied Economics, 2014, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 507–523.
- Aivazyan S.A. et al. On the issue of parametrization of the national innovation system. Prikladnaya ekonometrika=Applied Econometrics, 2017, no. 1 (45), pp. 29–49 (In Russian).
- Pogodaeva T.V., Zhaparova D.V. A model for innovation development of Russia: The role of the oil and gas business. Issledovaniya molodykh uchenykh: ekonomicheskaya teoriya, sotsiologiya, otraslevaya i regional’naya ekonomika=Young Scientists’ Research: Economic Theory, Sociology, Sectoral and Regional Economics, 2015, pp. 260–266 (In Russian).
- Serdyukova Yu.S. et al. Assessing the innovation system in Russian regions: present state and further development. Region: ekonomika i sotsiologiya=Region: Economics and Sociology, 2010, no. 1, pp. 179–197 (In Russian).
- Khrustalev E.Yu., Slavyanov A.S. Innovation-oriented evaluation methodology of the status and potential for growth of national economic system. Politematicheskii setevoi elektronnyi nauchnyi zhurnal Kubanskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta=Polythematic Online Scientific Journal of Kuban State Agrarian University, 2016, no. 115 (In Russian).
- Mikhailov A.S., Kuznetsova T.Yu., Peker I.Yu. Methods of spatial scientometrics in assessing the heterogeneity of the innovation space of Russia. Perspektivy nauki i obrazovaniya=Perspectives of Science & Education, 2019, no. 5 (41), pp. 549–563 (In Russian).
- Babenko V. et al. The innovation development in China in the context of globalization. WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, 2020, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 523–531.
- Rodionova I.A., Kokuytseva T.V., Semenov A.S. Mathematical model of the influence of innovative development factors on the economy of leading countries and Russia. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 2018, vol. 7, no. 4 (38), pp. 406–411.
- Sesay B., Yulin Z., Wang F. Does the national innovation system spur economic growth in Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa economies? Evidence from panel data. South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, 2018, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–12.
- Gackstatter S., Kotzemir M., Meissner D. Building an innovation-driven economy–the case of BRIC and GCC countries. Foresight, 2014, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 293–308.
- Balatsky E.V. et al. National models of technological development: A comparative analysis. Journal of Institutional Studies, 2017, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 37–51 (In Russian).
- Fagerberg J., Srholec M. National innovation systems, capabilities and economic development. Research Policy, 2008, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1417–1435.
- Bogdanova E.L., Ibragim A. National innovation system and its role in increasing GDP per capita (evidence from Russia). Voprosy regulirovaniya ekonomiki=Journal of Economic Regulation, 2018, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33–39 (In Russian).
- Ermoshina T.V. The cost of technological innovation as a priority factor in the development of the national innovation system. Vestnik evraziiskoi nauki=The Eurasian Scientific Journal, 2019, vol. 11, no. 3 (In Russian).
- Ovchinnikova A.V. National innovation system. Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. Seriya “Ekonomika i pravo”=Bulletin of Udmurt University. Series Economics and Law, 2012, no. 4, pp. 61–69 (In Russian).
- Tseluiko A.A. Open national innovation system and economic growth. Innovatsionnoe razvitie ekonomiki=Innovation Development of the Economy, 2017, no. 6, pp. 203–212 (In Russian).
- Ibrahim A. Impact national innovation system on the innovation capabilities in Russia. Ekonomika. Sotsiologiya. Pravo=Economics. Sociology. Law, 2016, pp. 3–7 (In Russian).
- Bogdanova E.L., Alnafrah I. Analysis impact structure of national innovation system factors on the development process in Russia. Izvestiya Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta=Izvestia Volgograd State Technical University, 2017, no. 15, p. 19 (In Russian).
- Shiller R.J. Popular economic narratives advancing the longest U.S. expansion 2009–2019. Journal of Policy Modeling, 2020, no. 42 (4), pp. 791–798.
- Lundvall B.Å. National innovation systems – analytical concept and development tool. Industry and Innovation, 2007, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 95–119.
- Lundvall B.Å. Innovation System Research: Where It Came from and where It Might Go. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008, 51 p.
- Roud V., Vlasova V. Strategies of industry-science cooperation in the Russian manufacturing sector. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 2020, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 870–907.
- Gordeev D.A., Akberdina V.V. Research of mathematical formalization of strategic decision-making in the national innovation system of Russia. In: Strategii razvitiya sotsial’nykh obshchnostei, institutov i territorii [Strategies for the Development of Social Communities, Institutions and Territories]. Volume 1. Yekaterinburg, 2019. Pp. 295–301 (In Russian).
- Odintsov B.E. Management of spiral dynamics in the development strategy of the national innovation system. Strategii biznesa=Business Strategies, 2017, no. 1, pp. 3–8 (In Russian).
- Vlačić E., Dabić M., Aralica Z. National innovation system: Where do government and business diverge? Drustvena Istrazivanja, 2018, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 649–669.
- Gokhberg L., Roud V. Structural changes in the national innovation system: Longitudinal study of innovation modes in the Russian industry. Economic Change and Restructuring, 2016, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 269–288.
- Savitskaya I., Salmi P., Torkkeli M. Outbound open innovation in China and Russia: Innovation system approach. International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, 2014, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 190–209.
- Khalimova S. Innovation development of large companies in Siberia. Area Development and Policy, 2016, vol. 1, no. 3, pр. 378–388.
- Tambovtsev V.L. Innovations and culture: Importance of the analysis methodology. Voprosy ekonomiki, 2018, no. 9, pp. 70–94 (In Russian).
- Golichenko O.G. Public policy and national innovation system failures. Voprosy ekonomiki, 2017, no. 2, pp. 97–108 (In Russian).
- North D.C. Institutions, Institutional Change, and Economic Performance. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Acemoglu D., Johnson S., Robinson J. A. Institutions as a fundamental cause of long-run growth. Handbook of Economic Growth, 2005, no. 1, pp. 385–472.
- Greif A. Institutions and the Path to the Modern Economy: Lessons from Medieval Trade. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Pyastolov S.M. Effectiveness of the national innovation system: Infrastructure aspect. Transportnoe delo Rossii=Transport Business of Russia, 2012, no. 6–1, pp. 18–20 (In Russian).