Improving the tools for assessing and managing export activities of SMEs in the region
Автор: Yakushev Nikolai O.
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.13, 2020 года.
Internationalization of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) through the access to foreign markets is one of the key issues in economics. Currently, the urgency of tasks related to the pace of economic growth, the increase in the gross regional product, and the expansion the territories’ budget revenues is increasing. Non-resource exports are mentioned as one of the sources of growth of the Russian economy until 2024 in the “May” decrees of the President aimed at increasing its competitiveness. Increasing the share of SMEs up to 10% in the total volume of non-resource exports is one of the key tasks of the national project “SMEs and support for individual entrepreneurial initiative”. At the same time, there is a number of problems hindering the effective use of the existing SMEs’ export potential as a source of economic growth at the regional level of the Russian Federation. The most acute ones are the following: low competitiveness of the SME manufacturing sector; lack of experience in foreign markets and absence of effective measures to support SME exporters; lack of strategies for using SMEs’ export potential, as well as of effective mechanisms and tools for their implementation at the regional level. In this regard, the aim of the research is to develop an approach to managing export activities of SMEs in the region. The article systematizes the research results in various scientific areas and theories related to the management of export activities of SMEs in the region, allowing to identify the main characteristics and features of this process. The author has developed an approach to assessing the specifics and specifications of SMEs in exports and their contribution to the total regional exports, allowing to determine directions for further support areas development. The analysis of the existing export promotion system is carried out. The directions, regulations and tools for the Federal and regional levels forming a unified system of SMEs management and support in terms of export activities are proposed.
Management, internationalization, export activities, small and medium-sized businesses, region
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225459
IDR: 147225459 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.3.69.10
Список литературы Improving the tools for assessing and managing export activities of SMEs in the region
- Glaz’ev S. Ryvok v budushchee. Rossiya v novykh tekhnologicheskom i mirokhozyaistvennom ukladakh [Market and the Future. Russia in New Technological and Economic Modes]. Moscow: Knizhnyi mir, 2018. 768 p.
- Hanson G.H. In understanding regional export growth in China. In: Yan Ing L., Miaojie Yu (Eds.). World Trade Evolution. Growth, Productivity and Employment. Routledge. London, 2018, pp. 195–228.
- Porter M. Mezhdunarodnaya konkurentsiya: konkurentnye preimushchestva stran [The Competitive Advantage of Nations]. Moscow: Al’pina Pablisher, 2016. 946 p.
- Medvedev D.A. Russia-2024: The strategy of social and economic development. Voprosy ekonomiki=Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2018, no. 10, pp. 5–28. (in Russian)
- Tatarkin A.I., Lipetskii A.F. The development of the Russian external economic activity on the basis of the use features of social and economic complex of region. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2009, no. 1, pp. 125–135. (in Russian)
- Singer T.O., Czinkota M.R. Factors associated with effective use of export assistance. Journal of International Marketing, 1994, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 53–71.
- Lee S.B. et al. Export strategies and performance of small and medium-sized enterprises: Evidence from Korean manufacturing SMEs. Journal of Korea Trade, 2004, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–24.
- Bernard A.B. Why some firms export. Review of Economics and Statistics, 2004, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 561–569.
- Gupta S., Melewar T.C., Cinkota M.C. Global business management for sustainability and competitiveness: The role of corporate branding, corporate identity and corporate reputation. Journal of World Business, 2013, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 285–286.
- Mukerji P., Panagariya A. Investigating the composition of product-level specialization. Indian Economic Review, 2019, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 3–18.
- Solberg C.A. et al. The drivers of early internationalization of the firm. In: International Marketing: Strategy Development and Implementation. Routledge, 2018. 402 p. Pp. 1–4.
- Lu J.W., Beamish P.W. The internationalization and performance of SMEs. Strategic Management Journal, 2001, vol. 22, no. 6–7, pp. 565–586.
- Child J. et al. Cooperative Strategy: Managing Alliances and Networks. Oxford University Press, 2019. 569 p.
- Mayer C., Siegel D. S., Wright M. Entrepreneurship: an assessment. Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 2018, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 517–539.
- Kubickova L. et al. Model for assessing the success of SMEs in the internacionalization process. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 2014, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 245–252.
- Dominguez N. et al. Key Success Factors of SME Internationalisation: A Cross-Country Perspective. Emerald Publishing Limited, 2018. 251 p.
- Estrin S. et al. Entrepreneurship in emerging markets. In: The Oxford Handbook of Management in Emerging Markets. Oxford University Press, 2019. Vol. 4, pp. 457–494.
- Potter J. Public Policy and SME Internationalization. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Emerging Economies, 2017, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 128–133.
- McLeay F., Andersen H. C. The art of SME export marketing: a case study. The Marketing Review, 2010, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 239–258.
- Johanson J., Vahlne J.E. The internationalization process of the firm – a model of knowledge development and increasing foreign market commitments. Journal of International Business Studies, 1977, vol. 8, pp. 23–32. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490676
- Cavusgil S.T., Knight G. The born global firm: An entrepreneurial and capabilities perspective on early and rapid internationalization. Journal of International Business Studies, 2015, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 3–16.
- Oviatt B.M., McDougall P.P. Toward a Theory of International New Ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 1994, no. 25 (1), pp. 45–64.
- Majocchi A., Sestu M.C., Angelo A. Entry Mode Strategies: Are SMEs any Different? Key Success Factors of SME Internationalisation: A Cross-Country Perspective. London: Emerald Publishing Limited, 2018. 274 p.
- Helmers C., Trofimenko N. The use and abuse of export subsidies: Evidence from Colombia. The World Economy, 2013, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 465–486.
- Hoyt H. Importance of manufacturing in basic employment. Land Economics, 1969, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 344 –349.
- Heckscher E. The effects of foreign trade on the distribution of income. In: Vekhi ekonomicheskoi mysli. T. 6. Mezhdunarodnaya ekonomika [Milestones of Economic Thouth. Volume 6. International Economics]. Moscow: TEIS, 2006. Pp. 154–173. (in Russian)
- Ohlin B. Interregional and international trade. In: Vekhi ekonomicheskoi mysli. T. 6. Mezhdunarodnaya ekonomika [Milestones of Economic Thouth. Volume 6. International Economics]. Moscow: TEIS, 2006. Pp. 174–187. (in Russian)
- Ethier W. Nontraded goods and the Heckscher-Ohlin model. International Economic Review, 1972, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 132–147.
- Uskova T.V., Lukin E.V., Vorontsova T.V., Smirnova T.G. Problemy ekonomicheskogo rosta territorii [Problems of Territory’s Economic Growth]. Vologda: ISERT RAN, 2013. 170 p.
- Balassa B. Exports and economic growth: Further evidence. Journal of Development Economics, 1978, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 181–189.
- Balassa B. The Theory of Economic Integration (Routledge Revivals). Routledge, 2013. 318 p.
- Lafay G. The measurement of revealed comparative advantages. In: M.G. Dagenais, P.A. Muet (eds.) International Trade Modelling. London: Chapman and Hall, 1992. DOI:10.1007/978-1-4757-2150-8_10
- Balassa B., Bauwens L. Intra-industry specialisation in a multi-country and multi-industry framework. The Economic Journal, 1987, vol. 97, no. 388, pp. 923–939.
- Balassa B. Export incentives and export performance in developing countries: A comparative analysis. Review of World Economics, 1978, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 24–61.
- Annenkova A.A., Pozdnyakov A.V., Soboleva S.A. Foreign economic entrepreneurship of the region: Structural changes and development trends in the post-crisis period. Nauch. vedomosti Belgorod. gos. un-ta. Ser. «Istoriya. Politologiya. Ekonomika. Informatika»=Research Bulletin of Belgorod State University. Economics. Informatics, 2012, no. 1 (120), iss. 21/1, pp. 82–89. (in Russian)
- Gulin K.A., Yakushev N.O., Mazilov E.A. Promoting economic growth in regions of the Russian Federation by boosting the development of non-resource-based exports. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2018, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 57–70. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2018.3.57.4. (in Russian)
- Yakushev N.O. Non-resource exports of the Union State as a factor in the economic development of the territory of Russia and Belarus. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2018, no. 5 (97), pp. 41–54. DOI: 10.15838/ ptd.2018.5.97.3. (in Russian)
- Grinberg R.S. Economy of Modern Russia: State, problems and prospects. General results of systemic transformation. Vek globalizatsii=Age of Globalization, 2015, no. 1, pp. 166–182. (in Russian)
- Frenkel A.A., Tikhomirov B.I., Sergienko Ya.V., Surkov A.A. Russian economy in 2017–2019: The prerequisites for a breakthrough have not yet been created. Ekonomicheskaya politika=Economic Policy, 2018, no. 5, pp. 24-49. (in Russian)
- Kovaleva E.N., Oganova A.A. Non-primary non-energy exports of Russia in macro-and mesolevel: main trends and directions for state support. Nauchnyi zhurnal NIU ITMO. Seriya «Ekonomika i ekologicheskii menedzhment»=Scientific Journal NRU ITMO. Series “Economics and Environmental Management”, 2018, no. 2, pp. 36–45. (in Russian)
- Haddoud M.Y., Jones P., Newbery R. Export promotion programmes and SMEs performance. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 2017, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 68–87.
- Minovic J., Lazarevic–Moravcevic M., Beraha I. Strategic orientation of SMEs: Empirical research. Management: Journal of Sustainable Business and Management Solutions in Emerging Economies, 2017, vol. 21, no. 81, pp. 16–26. DOI:10.7595/management.fon.2016.0026
- Gulin K.A. et al. Maloe predprinimatel’stvo v ekonomike territorii: monografiya [Small Entrepreneurship in the Territory’s Economy: Monograph]. Vologda: VolNTs RAN, 2017. 128 p.
- Mazilov E.A. Export potential of small and medium enterprises. Problemy razvitiya territorii=Problems of Territory’s Development, 2015, no. 5 (79), pp. 26–35. (in Russian)