Import of institutions: theoretical aspect and practical experience
Автор: Grinberg Ruslan S., Komolov Oleg O.
Рубрика: Theoretical issues
Статья в выпуске: 3 т.13, 2020 года.
The article is devoted to the problem of import of institutions, which is manifested in the form of society's borrowing of traditions, customs, and norms of behavior that developed in a different institutional environment. Such import is quite often accompanied by atrophy, regeneration of institutions and dysfunction of institutional macrostructure. Emerging so-called institutional traps cause serious risks for development of recipient countries. A historical example of the implementation of such risks was an attempt to transplant institutions of orthodox or radical liberalism in post-Soviet countries which expected modernization of their economies but received a diametrically opposite result - the primitivization of structures. An alternative to this course of events could be the usage of social market economy institutions (SME). Since the essence of the SME concept is a combination of market self-regulation mechanisms with a systematic state interventionism, it was possible to carry out a systemic transformation with, first, lower social costs and, second, without total deindustrialization. There is an existing need for a broader perspective on the formation of market equilibrium, which implies the inclusion in a number of independent market entities of the state that seeks to maximize its own function of social utility. It is the only approach that ensures the optimization of modern society's institutional environment in general and criteria for selecting imported institutions in particular. The novelty of the work is the justification of considering the interdependence of an exporting country's institutions, while choosing the most efficient one, and the need to assess consequences of its implementation in a recipient state's institutional environment. The authors conclude that the import of corresponding institutions should be accompanied by a synthesis of “social” and “market”. It could be achieved only with the harmony of complementarity of both these aspects, not with the construction of a hierarchy between them.
Transplantation of institutions, institutional traps, market of institutions, social market economy, neoliberalism
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225461
IDR: 147225461 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.3.69.2
Список литературы Import of institutions: theoretical aspect and practical experience
- Arrow K. The potentials and limits of the market in resource allocation. THESIS, 1993, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 53–68. (in Russian)
- Oleinik A. Institutsional’naya ekonomika [Institutional Economics]. Moscow: INFRA-M, 2002. 416 p.
- Alchian A.A. Economic Forces at Work. Indianapolis: Liberty Press, 1977. Pp. 15–35.
- Bromley D.W. Economic Interests and Institutions: The Conceptual Foundations of Public Policy. New York and Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1989. 274 p.
- Rozhdestvenskaya I.A., Tambovtsev V.L. Import of institutions and diffusion of ideas. Zhurnal ekonomicheskoi teorii=Russian Journal of Economic Theory, 2019, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 468–479. (in Russian)
- Kapoguzov E.A., Levin S.N., Sablin K.S. What is meant by the import of institutions. Zhurnal ekonomicheskoi teorii=Russian Journal of Economic Theory, 2019, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 480–487. (in Russian)
- Zharikov M. The import of institutions to the BRICS countries. BRICS Law Journal, 2020, no. 7(1), pp. 27–58.
- Polterovich V.M. Transplantation of economic institutions. Ekonomicheskaya nauka sovremennoi Rossii=Economics of Contemporary Russia, 2001, no. 3, pp. 24–50 (in Russian)
- Kleiner G.B. Evolyutsiya institutsional’nykh system [Evolution of Institutional Systems]. Moscow: TsEMI RAN, 2004. 240 p.
- Eaton J. Foreign public capital flow. In: H. Chenery, T.N. Srinivasan (eds.) Handbook of Development Economics. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1989, vol. II. Pp.1306–1386.
- Milgrom P., North D., Weingast B. The role of institutions in the revival of trade: The law merchant, private judges, and the champagne fairs. Economics and Politic, 1990, no. 1, pp. 1–23.
- North D. Institutions, ideology and economic performance. In: Ot plana k rynku: budushchee postkommunisticheskikh respublik [From Plan to Market: future of Post-Communist Republics]. Moscow: Catallaxy, 1993. Pp. 307–319. (in Russian)
- North D., Thomas R. The Rise of the Western World: A New Economic History. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1973. 171 p.
- Furuboth E.G., Pejovich S. The Economics of Property Rights. Cambridge, 1974. 276 p.
- Polishchuk L.I., Misuse of institutions: Its causes and consequences. Voprosy ekonomiki=Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2008, no. 8, pp. 28–44. (in Russian)
- Polterovich V.M. Institutional traps: Is there a way out? Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost’=Social Sciences and Contemporary World, 2004, no. 3, pp. 5–16. (in Russian)
- Voeykov M, Anisimova G. Social context of economic inequality is in Russia. Obshchestvo i ekonomika=Society and Economy, 2017, no. 10, pp. 95–117. (in Russian)
- Erhard L. Polveka razmyshlenii. Rechi i Stat’I [Half a Century of Thinking. Speeches and Articles]. Moscow: Nauka,1996. 582 p.
- Simonyan R.Kh. Bez gneva i pristrastiya. Ekonomicheskie itogi 90-kh godov i ikh posledstviya dlya Rossii [Without Anger and Leaning. Economic Results of Reforms in 1990s and their Consequences]. Moscow, “Ekonomika”, 2016. Pp. 177–179. (in Russian)
- Mueller-Armack A. Vorschläge zur Verwirklichung der Sozialen Marktwirschaft. Stuttgart, 1948. 456 p.
- Grinberg R.S. Rubinshtein A.Ya. Individuum i gosudarstvo. Ekonomicheskaya dilemma [Individual and State. Economic Dilemma]. Moscow: “Mir”, 2013. 480 p.