Implementing workplace innovation across Europe: why, how and what?
Автор: Oeij Peter, Dhondt Steven, Iauberyt-Jaktien Rita, Corral Antonio, Totterdill Peter
Рубрика: Labor economics
Статья в выпуске: 5 (47) т.9, 2016 года.
Based on a 51-case study research in 10 EU Member States this article demonstrates the implementation of workplace innovation. Why do companies apply workplace innovation and what different strategies can be discerned? How do these companies implement workplace innovation interventions and who are involved in that process? Finally, what types of workplace innovation interventions are being implemented, and what is known about the (expected) effects. The article concludes that successful workplace innovation is interplay of management driven business goals and employee driven quality of work goals. The implication for both companies and policy makers is that constructive cooperation between management and employees is a key success factor for innovation, competitiveness and active jobs. We close by providing policy makers and practitioners with a few suggestions to improve the dissemination and implementation of workplace innovation respectively.
Workplace innovation, implementation, european union, european company survey
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147223871
IDR: 147223871 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2016.5.47.11
Список литературы Implementing workplace innovation across Europe: why, how and what?
- Achterbergh J., Vriens D. Organizations. Social systems conducting experiments. (2nd ed.; 1st ed. 2009). Berlin: Springer, 2010.
- Bloom N., van Reenen J. Why do management practices differ across firms and countries? Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2010, no. 24 (1), pp. 203-224.
- Boxall P. High-performance work systems: what, why, how and for whom? Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 2012, no. 50, pp. 169-186.
- Boxall P., Macky K. Research and theory on high-performance work systems: progressing the high-involvement stream. Human Resource Management Journal, 2009, no. 19, pp. 3-23.
- Christis J.H.P. Organization and job design: what is smart organizing? In: van Lieshout H.A.M., Polstra L., Christis J.H.P., Emans B.J.M. (Eds.). Management of labour. Societal and managerial perspectives. Groningen: Hanzehogeschool Groningen University of Applied Sciences, 2010. Pp. 39-71.
- Dhondt S., Oeij P. Social innovation related to innovation in management studies. In: Howaldt J., Butzin A., Domanski D., Kaletka C. (Eds.). Theoretical approaches to social innovation -A critical literature review. Dortmund: SI-Drive , 2014. September. Pp. 122-150. Available at: https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/socialinnovationeurope/en/magazine/methods-and-tools/articles-reports/theoretical-approaches-social-innovation.
- Dhondt S., Pot F.D., Kraan K.O. The importance of organizational level decision latitude for well-being and organizational commitment. Team Performance Management, 2014, no. 20 (7/8), pp. 307-327.
- Dhondt S., Preenen P., Oeij P., Corral A., Isusi I., Totterdill P., Karanika-Murray M. European Company Survey: Construction of the Workplace Innovation Index and Selection of Companies. Leiden: TNO, 2014.
- Dhondt S., van Hootegem G. Reshaping workplaces: Workplace innovation as designed by scientists and practitioners. European Journal of Workplace Innovation, 2015, no. 1 (1), pp. 17-25.
- Eeckelaert L., Dhondt S., Oeij P., Pot F., Nicolescu G.I., Webster J., Elsler D. Review of workplace innovation and its relation with occupational safety and health: Literature review. Bilbao: European Agency for Safety and Health at Work, 2012.
- Kankaraš M., van Houten G. Third European Company Survey 2013 -Overview report: Workplace practices -Patterns, performance and well-being. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2015.
- Kesselring A., Blasy C., Scopetta A. Workplace Innovation. Concepts and indicators. Brussels: DG Enterprise and Industry, 2014.
- Howaldt J., Oeij P.R.A., Dhondt S., Fruytier B. Workplace innovation and social innovation: an introduction. World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 2016, no.12 (1), pp. 1-12.
- Kalmi P., Kauhanen A. Workplace innovations and employee outcomes: evidence from Finland. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 2008, no. 47 (3), pp. 430-459.
- MacDuffie J.P. The road to “root cause”: Shop-floor problem-solving at three auto assembly plants. Management Science, 1997, no. 43 (4), pp. 479-502.
- Oeij P., de Looze M., ten Have K., van Rhijn G., de Graaf B. From Productivity Strategy to Business Case: Choosing a Cost-Effective Intervention for Workplace Innovations. JCC: The Business and Economics Research Journal, 2012, no. 5 (2), pp. 171-184.
- Oeij P.R.A., Dhondt S., Korver, T. Social innovation, workplace innovation and social quality. International Journal of Social Quality, 2011, no. 1 (2), winter, pp. 31-49.
- Oeij P., de Vroome E., Bolland A., Gründemann R., van Teeffelen L. Investing in workplace innovation pays off for SMEs: a regional innovation initiative from The Netherlands. International Journal of Social Quality, 2014, no. 4 (2), pp. 86-106.
- Oeij P.R.A., Wiezer N.M., Elo A.-L., Nielsen K., Vega S., Wetzstein A., Żołnierczyk D. Combating psychosocial risks in work organisations: Some European practices. In: McIntyre S., Houdmont J. (Eds.). Occupational health psychology: European perspectives on research, education and practice, 2006, vol. 1, pp. 233-263.
- Oeij P., Žiauberytė-Jakštienė R., Dhondt S., Corral A., Totterdill P., Preenen P. Workplace Innovation in European companies. Study commissioned by Eurofound. Luxemburg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 2015a.
- Oeij P., Žiauberytė-Jakštienė R., Dhondt S., Corral A., Totterdill P., Preenen P. Workplace Innovation in European companies. Technical annex. Dublin: Eurofound, 2015b. Available at: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/sites/default/files/ef1540_-_technical_annex_-_third_european_company_survey_workplace_innovation_in_european_companies.pdf
- Oeij P.R.A., Vaas F. Effect of workplace innovation on organisational performance and sickness absence. World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 2016, no. 12 (1), pp. 101-129.
- Pot F.D. Workplace innovation for better jobs and performance. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 2011, no. 60 (4), pp. 404-415.
- Pot F., Dhondt S., Oeij P. Social innovation of work and employment. In: Franz H-W., Hochgerner J. (Eds.). Challenge Social Innovation. Berlin: Springer, 2012. Pp. 261-274.
- Pot F., Totterdill P., Dhondt S. Workplace innovation: European policy and theoretical foundation. World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 2016, no. 12 (1), pp. 13-32.
- Ramstad E. Promoting performance and the quality of working life simultaneously. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 2009, no. 58 (5), pp. 423-436.
- de Sitter L.U., den Hertog J.F., Dankbaar B. From Complex Organizations with Simple Jobs to Simple Organizations with Complex Jobs. Human Relations, 1997, no. 50 (6), pp. 497-534.
- Totterdill P., Exton R. Defining workplace innovation: The Fifth Element. Strategic Direction, 2014, no. 30 (9), pp. 12-16.