Ground improvement using stone column construction encased with geogrid
Автор: Kwa S.F., Kolosov E.S., Fattah M.Y.
Статья в выпуске: 3 (66), 2018 года.
Using stone column to improve weak soil can be considered as an economic and technical viable for construction projects on the soft soil. According to the case history of the stone column it was provided that it is the best way of successful application for foundation of the structure such as, oil storage tanks, raft foundation, earth embankments. It should be noted that through the installation of the stone column inside the soil the lateral confinement offered by the soil around the stone may not be adequate to form the stone column; in this case encasing the stone column by the geogrid can induce the required lateral confinement. Experimental studies in the present work are carried out to investigate the behaviour of the stone column encased with Geogrid, Tests are carried out on a single installed stone column (ordinary and encased) in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the single column on bearing capacity and settlement. It was found that encasing the stone column with geogrid results in an increase in load carrying capacity and reduction in a settlement in comparison with the case without geogrid. By using geogrid, the ultimate bearing capacity increased by 60% compared to that without geogrid and load-bearing capacity increased by 20% for 10 mm settlement. Numerical analysis will be carried out by using PLAXIS 3D to validate the test and to make comparison between them
Soft clay, bearing capacity, stone columns, geogrid, improvement, experimental investigation, bulging failure, numerical-analysis
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/143163596
IDR: 143163596 | DOI: 10.18720/CUBS.66.5
Список литературы Ground improvement using stone column construction encased with geogrid
- Rudrabir, G and Kashliwal A., 2008,(Ground Improvement Techniques/with a Focused Study on Stone Column, VIT University, Dept. of Civil Engineering
- Malarvizhi, S.N. and Ilamparuthi, K. (2004),"Load Versus Settlement of Clay-Bed Stabilized with Stone and Reinforced Stone Columns", Proceedings of the 3rd Asian Regional Conference on Geosynthetics, GEOASIA, Seoul, Korea, pp. 322-329.
- Guetif, Z., Bouassida, M., & Debats, J.M., 2003. Parametric study of the improvement due to vibro-compacted columns installation in soft soils.
- G. Ya. Bulatov, N. B. Kolosova, E. S. Kolosov, A. B. Teplov, Dependence the bearing capacity of the pile on the shapes of cross-section, Construction of unique buildings and structures, 10 (15),15-24, (2013)
- Brand, E.W. and Brenner, R.P. (1981),"Soft Clay Engineering", Elsevier Scientific Published Company, Amsterdam.
- Hughes, J.M.O. and Withers, N.J. (1974),"Reinforcing of Soft Cohesive Soils with Stone Columns", Ground Engineering Journal,Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 42-49.
- Kempfert H., Gebreselassi B. (2006), "Excavations and Foundations in Soft Soils", Springer, Germany
- Fattah, M. Y., Majeed, Q. G., (2012), "A Study on the Behaviour of Geogrid Encased Capped Stone Columns by the Finite Element Method", Int. J. of GEOMATE, Sept., 2012, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Sl. No. 5), pp. 343-350, Geotec., Const. Mat. & Env., ISSN:2186-2982(P), 2186-2990(O), Japan.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standard, Vol.4, No.8, (2000). American Society of Testing and Materials International, 100 Barr Harbor Drive, West Conshohocken, PA 19428-2959, United States
- Fathi, E., Mohtasham, R., (2016), " Numerical Analysis of the Reinforced Stone Column by Geosynthetic on Stability of Embankment", Proceedings of the World Congress on Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering (CSEE’16), Prague, Czech Republic -March 30 -31, 2016, ICGRE, Paper No. ICGRE 112.
- Ambily, A. P. and Gandhi, S. R., (2007), "Behavior of stone columns based on experimental and FEM analysis," Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, vol. 133, pp. 405-415.
- Fattah, M. Y., Zabar, B. S., Hassan, H. A., (2016), "Experimental Analysis of Embankment on Ordinary and Encased Stone Columns", International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol. 16, No. 4, DOI 10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000579, 04015102.
- A. K. Bugrov, E. S. Kolosov, Practical methods of taking into account the nonlinear deformation of soils, IV International scientific-practical conference, COLL Actualproblems of modern Foundation with energy saving technologies Penza, 14-21 (2014)
- Rashid D., Kolosov E.S., Kolosova N.B., Soldatenko T.N. Evaluation's methods ofthe seismic stability of buildings and structures in the Gaza Strip. Advances and Trends in Engineering Sciences and Technologies II Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Engineering Sciences and Technologies. 2016. S. 237-242.
- Vatin N.I., Kolosova N.B., Tokareva E.E. Tteaching professional cycle with overlap in a foreign language as a method of training specialist at international level (preparing a civil engineer). Construction of unique buildings and structures. 2017. No. 5 (56). C. 7-16.
- Kolosova N., Kolosov E., Agishev K. Systematization modern devices for the protection of buildings and structures due to seismic impacts. MATEC Web of Conferences Editors: J.Melcer and K. Kotrasova. 2017. S. 00065.
- Rechinsky A.V., Strelets K.I. Refresher training on designing and construction of high-risk,technically complex and unique objects. Construction of unique buildings and structures. 2012. No. 1. C. 74-76.
- Ahmed, A. A. (1998) "Performance of Stone Columns in Soft Soils" Ph.D. Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, University of Baghdad, Iraq.
- Al-Mohamadi, F.H. (1999), "Substitute of Pile by Using Stone Column", M.Sc. Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, University of Baghdad,Iraq.
- Al-Saidi, A.A. (2000), "The Use of Stone Columns to Improve Soft Soils", M.Sc. Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, University of Baghdad, Iraq
- Sinyakov,L.N. (2016), "strengthening and stabilization of the weak water saturated soil using stone columns", MATEC web of conference,T.73,DOI,C.73
- Kwa Sally,Kwa,S.F and E.S Kolosov, 'IMPROVED THE CHARECTERISTIC OF WEAK SOIL BY ENCASED STONE COLUMNS UNDER CYCLIC AND STATIC LOAD ' Thesis,Peter the great St.petersburg Polytechnic University, Institute of Civil Engineering, 2018