Global Megatrends and New Technologies: Challenges for and Threats to the Post-Industrial Economy
Автор: Ekimova N.А.
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The paper considers the influence of megatrends, currently acting as drivers of changes taking place in society, on the structure of the emerging economy of post-industrial society. Under their influence, a new economy is formed, focused on the use of such a resource as time, the amount of which, available to people, is increasing as robotomics develops. The research is based on the study of five global trends in the development of modern society: demographic transformations; natural resources depletion and climate change; changing geo-economic and geopolitical landscapes; digitalization and development of new technologies; comprehensive human welfare: wealth, health and knowledge. The article proves that these trends seriously challenge the future of humanity and fundamentally change the structure of the economy and employment. The response to the megatrends challenges is the formation of new directions in the economic structure that help to respond to them and deal with their negative implications. We establish that megatrends have contributed to the development of such areas as silver economy, circular economy, robotomics, peer-to-peer economy, and laid the foundation of a spiritual and moral economy and leisure economy. The work concludes that there are prerequisites in society for the transition to the economy, in which social effects will prevail over economic ones. High level of technology development and digitalization help to make such a transition to an “economics with a human face”. The formulated principles of adaptation to the emerging economy enable countries to develop a transition strategy with minimal social and economic costs. The novelty of the research consists in comparing megatrends with changes occurring in the structure of the economy and the labor market, as well as in substantiating social orientation of the post-industrial economy, which is formed under the influence of global trends in social development.
Megatrends, silver economy, circular economy, peer-to-peer economy, robotomics, leisure economy.
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234811
IDR: 147234811 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.7
Список литературы Global Megatrends and New Technologies: Challenges for and Threats to the Post-Industrial Economy
- Balatsky Е.V. Global challenges of the Forth Industrial Revolution. Terra Economicus, 2019, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 6–22. DOI: 10.23683/2073-6606-2019-17-2-6-22 (in Russian).
- Retief F., Bond A., Pope J. et al. Global megatrends and their implications for environmental assessment practice. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 2016, vol. 61, pp. 52–60. DOI: 10.1016/j.eiar.2016.07.002
- Ashmarina S.I., Kandrashina E.A., Izmailov A.M. Global megatrends, trends and their impact on the Russian education system. Trendy i upravlenie=Trends and Management, 2017, no. 2, pp. 55–64. DOI: 10.7256/2454-0730.2017.2.23435 (in Russian).
- Naisbitt J. Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives. New York: Warner Books, 1982. 290 p.
- Baikov A., Dundich A. Big trends in world development: An expert view through the twentieth anniversary. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya=World Economy and International Relations, 2018, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 110–116 (in Russian).
- Pankratova Е.S. To the question about essence and classific kinds of global cooperation development. Vestnik Rostovskogo gosudarstvennogo ekonomicheskogo universiteta (RINKh)=Vestnik of Rostov State University of Economics, 2012, no. 3, pp. 31–36 (in Russian).
- Shakleina T.A., Baikov A.A. Megatrendy: Osnovnye traektorii evolyutsii mirovogo poryadka v XXI veke [Megatrends: The Main Trajectories of the Evolution of the World Order in the 21st century]. Moscow: Aspect Press, 2013. 448 p.
- Lebedeva M.M. Modern megatrends of world politics. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya=World Economy and International Relations, 2019, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 29–37. DOI: 10.20542/0131-2227-2019-63-9-29-37 (in Russian).
- Lebedeva М.М. The “Perfect Storm” as a result of the “hybridization” of world politics. In: Tsygankov P.A. (Ed.). Gibridizatsiya mirovoi i vneshnei politiki v svete sotsiologii mezhdunarodnykh otnoshenii [Hybridization of World and Foreign Policy in the Light of the Sociology of International Relations]. Moscow: Goryachaya linyaya – Telekom, 2017. Pp. 97–111 (in Russian).
- Steffen W., Richardson K., Rockstrom J. et al. Planetary boundaries: Guiding human development on a changing planet. Science, 2015, vol. 347, issue 6223, pp. 736–753. DOI: 10.1126/science.1259855
- Pantin V.I., Lapkin V.V. Waves of political modernization in the history of Russia. To discuss the hypothesis. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya=Polis. Political Studies, 1998, no. 2, pp. 39–51 (in Russian).
- Lebedeva M.M. Modern trends in world development: A new quality of the world. In: Lebedeva М.М. (Ed.). Metamorfozy mirovoi politiki [Metamorphoses of World Politics]. Moscow: MGIMO, 2012. Pp. 9–32 (in Russian).
- Cook J., Oreskes N., Doran P.T. et al. Consensus on consensus: A synthesis of consensus estimates on humancaused global warming. Environmental Research Letters, 2016, vol. 11, no. 4, art. 048002. DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002
- Stocker T.F., Qin D., Plattner G.-K. et al. Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. United Kingdom, New York: Cambridge University Press, 2014. 1535 p.
- Gorodnitskii A.M. Passions on global warming. Georisk=Georisk World, 2019, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 8–17. DOI: 10.25296/1997-8669-2019-13-4-8-17 (in Russian).
- Syvorotkin V.L. Degassing concept of global catastrophes: Main provisions, new results. Voprosy geografii=Geography Issues, 2019, no. 149, pp. 36–70 (in Russian).
- Tol R.S.J. Comment on “Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature”. Environmental Research Letters, 2016, vol. 11, no. 4, art. 048001. DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048001
- Michaels P.J. Global Deception: The Exaggeration of the Global Warming Threat. Center for the Study of American Business. Policy Study, 1998, no. 146. Available at: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Reference_Docs/PMichaels_Jun98.pdf
- Gokhberg L.M., Sokolov A.V., Chulok A.A. et al. Global’nye trendy i perspektivy nauchno-tekhnicheskogo razvitiya Rossiiskoi Federatsii: kratkie tezisy [Global Trends and Prospects of Scientific and Technological Development of the Russian Federation: Brief Theses]. Moscow: Izd. Dom Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki, 2017. 39 p.
- Vollset S.E., Goren E., Yuan C.-W. et al. Fertility, mortality, migration, and population scenarios for 195 countries and territories from 2017 to 2100: A forecasting analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. The Lancet, 2020, vol. 396, issue 10258, pp. 1285–1306. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30677-2
- Maaløe N., Housseine N., Meguid T. et al. Trends in population health and demography. The Lancet, 2021, vol. 398, issue 10300, pp. 579–580. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01047-3
- Keilman N. Trends in population health and demography. The Lancet, 2021, vol. 398, issue 10300, p. 581. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01113-2
- Gietel-Basten S., Sobotka T. Trends in population health and demography. The Lancet, 2021, vol. 398, issue 10300, pp. 580–581. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01051-5
- O’Sullivan J.N. Trends in population health and demography. The Lancet, 2021, vol. 398, issue 10300, p. 580. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(21)01050-3
- Eatock D. The silver economy: Opportunities from ageing. European Parliament, 2015. Available at: https:// www.europarl.europa.eu/EPRS/EPRS-Briefing-565872-The-silver-economy-FINAL.pdf
- Kolomiets P.N. “Silver economics” a new approach to the problem of aging. Journal of Economic Regulation, 2018, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 89–101. DOI: 10.17835/2078-5429.2018.9.1.089-101 (in Russian).
- Chen Z., Chen S., Liu C. et al. The effects of circular economy on economic growth: A quasi-natural experiment in China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2020, issue 271, art. 122558. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122558
- Mathews J.A., Tan H. Circular economy: Lessons from China. Nature, 2016, issue 531, pp. 440–442. DOI: 10.1038/531440a
- Aguilar-Hernandez G.A., Rodrigues J., Tukker A. Macroeconomic, social and environmental impacts of a circular economy up to 2050: A meta-analysis of prospective studies. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2021, issue 278, art. 123421. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.123421
- Kaza S., Yao L., Bhada-Tata P., Woerden F.V. What a Waste 2.0: A Global Snapshot of Solid Waste Management to 2050. World Bank Group, 2018. 295 p.
- Trofimova P.E., Danilova D.Yu., Belyakov G.P. Transition of Russia to a circular economy. Reshetnevskie chteniya=Reshetnev Readings, 2018, vol. 2, pp. 419–420 (in Russian).
- Lundestad G. The Rise and Decline of American “Empire”. Power and Its Limits in Comparative Perspective. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012. 208 p.
- Balatsky E.V. Prerequisites for global geopolitical inversion. Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2014, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 28–42. DOI: 10.15838/esc/2014.2.32.4
- Cooley A., Nexon A. Exit from Hegemony: The Unraveling of the American Global Order. New York: Oxford University Press, 2020. 304 p. DOI: 10.1093/oso/9780190916473.001.0001
- Bizengin B., Eneeva M. A change of the hegemon country is brewing in the world. Obshchestvo i ekonomika=Society and Economics, 2017, no. 8, pp. 109–126 (in Russian).
- Grinin L., Tsirel S., Korotayev A. Will the explosive growth of China continue? Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 2015, vol. 95, pp. 294–308. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2014.06.023
- Wallerstein I. Mirosistemnyi analiz: Vvedenie [World-Systems Analysis: An Introduction]. Moscow: Territoriya budushhego, 2006. 248 p.
- Eremina N. Advent of a new civilization project: Eurasia in – U.S. out? Journal of Eurasian Studies, 2016, vol. 7, issue 2, pp. 162–171. DOI: 10.1016/j.euras.2016.02.001
- Altbach Ph. Global’nye perspektivy vysshego obrazovanija [Global Prospects for Higher Education]. Moscow: Izd. Dom Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki, 2018. 552 p.
- Andreev К. Odnorangovaya ekonomika [Peer-to-Peer Economy]. Yekaterinburg: Izdatel’skie resheniya, 2019. 106 p.
- Cowen T. The Great Stagnation: How America Ate all the Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better. New York: Dutton, 2011. 64 p.
- Gordon R.J. Is U.S. Economic growth over? Faltering innovation confronts the six headwinds. NBER Working Paper, 2012, no. 18315. DOI: 10.3386/w18315
- Brynjolfsson E., McAfee A. The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies. New York, London; W.W. Norton & Company, 2014. 281 p.
- Frey C.B., Osborne M.A. The future of employment: How susceptible are jobs to computerisation? Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 2017, vol. 114, pp. 254–280. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2016.08.019
- Kornilov А.М. The dilemmas of the digital revolution: Technological unemployment of scientific crowdsourcing. Upravlenie naukoi: teoriya i praktika=Science Managament: Theory and Practice, 2019, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 90–102. DOI: 10.19181/smtp.2019.1.2.5 (in Russian).
- Sorgner A. The Automation of Jobs: A threat for employment or a source of new entrepreneurial opportunities? Foresight and STI Governance, 2017, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 37–48. DOI: 10.17323/2500-2597.2017.3.37.48
- Piketty T., Zucman G. Capital is back: Wealth-income ratios in rich countries 1700–2010. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2014, vol. 129, issue 3, pp. 1255–1310. DOI: 10.1093/qje/qju018
- Braconier H., Nicoletti G., Westmore B. Policy challenges for the next 50 years. OECD Economic Policy Papers, 2014, no. 9. DOI: 10.1787/5jz18gs5fckf-en
- Shevyakov А. Social inequality, poverty and economic growth. Obshchestvo i ekonomika=Society and Economics, 2005, no. 3, pp. 5–18 (in Russian).
- Yurevich М.А. Social inequality, investment, and economic growth. Voprosy regulirovaniya ekonomiki=Journal of Economic Regulation, 2019, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 35–46. DOI: 10.17835/2078-5429.2019.10.4.035-046 (in Russian)
- North D. Ponimanie protsessa ekonomicheskikh izmenenii [Understanding the Process of Economic Change]. Moscow: Izd. Dom GU-VShE, 2010. 256 p.
- Lukas R.E. Lektsii po ekonomicheskomu rostu [Lectures on Economic Growth]. Moscow: Izd. Instituta Gaidara, 2013. 288 p.
- Piketty Т. Kapital v XXI veke [Capital in the Twenty-First Century]. Moscow: Ad Marginem Press, 2016. 592 p.
- Heinberg R. Konets rosta [End of Growth]. Moscow: Knizhnyi Klub Knigovek, 2013. 384 p.
- Balatsky Е.V. Theory of life resources: Models and empirical estimates. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya=Monitoring of Public Opinion, 2007, no. 2 (82), pp. 124–133 (in Russian).
- Cruz E., Raurich X. Leisure time and the sectoral composition of employment. Review of Economic Dynamics, 2020, vol. 38, pp. 198–219. DOI: 10.1016/j.red.2020.04.004
- Balatsky E.V., Ekimova N.A. Russian economy model: Post-industrial society without industrial sector. The World of New Economy, 2021, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 29–46. DOI: 10.26794/2220-6469-2021-15-2-29-46