Generation y in Russia: social stratification, position in the labor market and problems of political socialization
Автор: Belyaeva Lyudmila A.
Рубрика: Social development
Статья в выпуске: 4 т.13, 2020 года.
The article analyzes the youth's problems affecting their life and social well-being (social stratification of society; the position and behavior of youth in the labor market; changes in the youth's value orientations and models of socio-cultural behavior). The article describes the social status of the youth population in Russia, their integration into the labor market and the emotional component of political socialization. The authors analyze the age groups assigned to generation Y in accordance with the gradation of V. Strauss and N. Hau. The young people's material standard of living, education and place of residence are the indicators that differentiate the Russian youth, creating a kind of stratification youth pyramid. Currently, the place of young people in the labor market is decreasing, while the share of the employed aged 55-72 is growing, which negatively affects the innovative development of the economy. Services have become the dominant industry for youth employment. The socialization of modern youth is contradictory, which is due to deep social differentiation, unstable position in the labor market, the impact of global information processes, the opposition of a tolerant attitude to otherness and independence and intransigence to other points of view and behaviors that differ from traditional ideas and values within the society. The political socialization of young people is characterized by a low level of interest in politics, a more critical attitude to the democratic status of the country when the respondents grow up with an increased positive emotional component in relation to the Motherland. When comparing some of the characteristics of these generations in the Russian Federation with the characteristics of the youth in European countries at different levels of development, Poland, the Czech Republic, Spain, Germany, and Sweden, their uniqueness is revealed, due to the severity of many problems of economic and democratic development in Russia. The data from Rosstat, the author's empirical research, and the European social research (ESS) were used in the study.
Social stratification of youth, labor market, political socialization, education, values
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225478
IDR: 147225478 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.4.70.13
Список литературы Generation y in Russia: social stratification, position in the labor market and problems of political socialization
- Tvenge J.M. Pokolenie I. Pochemu pokolenie Interneta utratilo buntarskii dukh, stalo bolee tolerantnym, menee schastlivym i absolyutno negotovym ko vzrosloi zhizni [iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy--and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood and What That Means for the Rest of Us]. Translated by A. Tolmachev. Moscow: Gruppa kompanii «RIPOL klassik», 2019. 490 p.
- Radaev V.V. Millenialy: kak menyaetsya rossiiskoe obshchestvo [Millennials: How the Russian Society Changes]. 2nd edition. Moscow: NIU VShE, 2019. 224 p.
- Zopiatis A., Krambia Kapardis M., Varnavas A. Y-ers, X-ers and Boomers: Investigating the multigenerational (mis) perceptions in the hospitality workplace. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 2012, vol. 12, no. 2, рр. 101–121.
- Raymer M., Reed M., Spiegel M., Purvanova R. An examination of generational stereotypes as a path towards reverse ageism. The Psychologist-Manager Journal, 2017, vol. 20, рр. 148–175.
- Seemiller C., Grace M. Generation Z Goes to College. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2015.
- Inglehart R. Kul’turnaya evolyutsiya: kak izmenyayutsya chelovecheskie motivatsii i kak eto menyaet mir [Cultural Evolution: People’s Motivations are Changing, and Reshaping the World]. Moscow: Mysl’, 2018. 347 p.
- Shamis E., Nikonov E. Teoriya pokolenii. Neobyknovennyi Iks [The Theory of Generations. Extraordinary X]. Moscow: Sinergiya, 2016. 398 p.
- Mannheim K. Izbrannoe: Diagnoz nashego vremeni [Selected Works: Diagnosis of our Time]. Translated from German and English. Moscow: Izd-vo «RAO Govoryashchaya kniga». 2010. 744 p. (in Russian).
- Kon I.S. V poiskakh sebya: Lichnost’ i ee samosoznanie [Finding Yourself: Personality and Self-Consciousness]. Moscow: Politizdat, 1984. 195 p.
- Howe N., Strauss W. Generations: The History of America’s Future, 1584 to 2069. New York: William Morrow. 1991. 544 p.
- Shkaratan O.I., Yastrebov G.A. A comparative analysis of the processes of social mobility in the USSR and modern Russia. Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost’=Social Sciences and Contemporary World, 2011, no. 2, pp. 5–28 (in Russian).
- Belyaeva L.A. Regional differentiation of living standards. Mir Rossii. Sotsiologiya. Etnologiya=Universe of Russia. Sociology. Ethnology, 2006, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 42–61 (in Russian).
- Konstantinovskii D.L. Measuring inequality in education. In: Rossiya reformiruyushchayasya: ezhegodnik [Russia in reform: Yearbook]. Issue 16. Edit. by M.K. Gorshkov. Moscow: Novyi Khronograf, 2018 (in Russian).
- Modeli dokhodnoi stratifikatsii rossiiskogo obshchestva: dinamika, faktory, mezhstranovye sravneniya [Models of income stratification of Russian society: dynamics, factors, cross-country comparisons]. Edit. By N.E. Tikhonova. Moscow; St. Petersburg: Nestor-Istoriya. 2018. 368 p.
- Jakutina O.I. The contradictive nature of social practices of success in modern Russian society. Nauchnaya mysl’ Kavkaza=Scientific Thought of Caucasus, 2010, no. 1, pp. 47–52 (in Russian).
- Rossiiskii rynok truda: tendentsii, instituty, strukturnye izmeneniya [Russian Labor Market: Trends, Institutions, Structural Changes]. Edit. by V. Gimpel’son, R. Kapelyushnikov and S. Roshchin. Moscow, 2017. 148 p.
- Shcheglov I.A. Political socialization in Russia as a problem of theory and practice. Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya=Theory and Practice of Social Development, 2015, no. 2, pp. 47–50 (in Russian).
- Narbut N.P., Trotsuk I.V. Worldview of Russian youth: Patriotic and geopolitical components. Sotsiologicheskaya nauka i sotsial’naya praktika=Sociological Science and Social Practice, 2014, no. 4 (8), pp. 105–123 (in Russian).
- Semenova V.V. Sotsial’naya dinamika pokolenii: problema i real’nost’ [Social Dynamics of Generations: Problem and Reality]. Moscow: Rossiiskaya politicheskaya entsiklopediya (ROSSPEN), 2009. 271 p.
- Gel’man V., Travin D. The “squiggles” of Russian modernization: generational change and the trajectory of reforms. Neprikosnovennyi zapas=Neprikosnovennyi zapas, 2013, no. 4. Available at: https://magazines.gorky. media/nz/2013/4/zagoguliny-rossijskoj-modernizaczii-smena-pokolenij-i-traektorii-reform.html (accessed: 29.07. 2019) (in Russian).
- Matveichuk W., Voronov V.V., Samul J. Determinants of job satisfaction of workers from Generations X and Y: Regional research. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2019, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 225–237 (in Russian).
- Beliaeva L.A. Non-material capital: On the research methodology. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya=Sociological Studies, 2014, no. 10 (366), pp. 36–44 (in Russian).