Forming the Practices of Citizens’ Participation in the Development of the Urban Environment: Habitualization or Institutionalization From Above
Автор: Smoleva E.O.
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The article presents findings of a sociological research on the process of formation of social practices of citizens’ participation in the development of the urban environment. Creating a new, peoplefriendly urban space involves taking into account the interests of various population groups and working out the mechanisms for citizens’ involvement in urban management. The purpose of the work is to identify main ways for engaging citizens in the development of the urban environment by analyzing the processes of institutionalization. The theoretical and methodological basis of the research includes works devoted to social institutions and institutionalization, social movements as institutionalization agents, the right of citizens to participate in urban development, and the issues of civic participation in designing urban spaces. The analysis has identified main participants (actors) whose interests are affected when the issue concerning the development of the urban environment is formulated and addressed. We consider two processes of formation of the rules according to which the actors perform their functions in public arenas: from below through habitualization or from above as an import of social institutions. We show the differences in the process and results of institutionalization of civic engagement in the presence or absence of a conflict of interests among the main actors: society, government, business community. We compare the processes according to the following parameters: the nature of institutional changes, relations and actions, type of institutional changes, structure of political opportunities, and civic engagement levels. We draw conclusions about how the orientation of the processes affects the nature of civic participation. In particular, the loss of the “partnership” and “delegation of authority” stages in the process of institutionalization from above indicates a formal and imitative nature of the practices of civic participation in urban development. The novelty of the work consists in comparing the oppositely directed processes of institutionalization of civic participation (from below and from above) on the example of a specific sphere such as urban development.
Social institution, social practices, habitualization, institutionalization, civic participation.
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234818
IDR: 147234818 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.14
Список литературы Forming the Practices of Citizens’ Participation in the Development of the Urban Environment: Habitualization or Institutionalization From Above
- Gifford R. Environmental Psychology: Principles and Practice. Forth Edition. Colville: Optimal Books, 2007. 535 p.
- Lefebvre H. Writing to the City. Selected, translated and introduced by Kofman E., Lebas E. Blacwell Publishers, 1996. 250 p.
- Zhelnina A.A., Tykanova E. V. Formal and informal civic infrastructure: Contemporary studies of urban local activism in Russia. Zhurnal sotsiologii i sotsialnoy antropologii=The Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology, 2019, no. 22(1), pp. 162–192. DOI: 10.31119/jssa.2019.22.1.8 (in Russian).
- Antip’ev K.A. Social potential of local communities self-organization. Vestnik PNIPU. Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie nauki=PNRPU Sociology and Economics Bulletin, 2015, no. 2, pp. 22–31 (in Russian).
- Skobelina N.A. Institutional analysis as a promising direction for the evaluation of social movements (an analytical overview). Vestnik instituta sotsiologii=Bulletin of the Institute of Sociology, 2017, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 163–173. DOI: 10.19181/vis.2017.20.1.44 (in Russian).
- Shuklina E.A., Pevnaya M.V. Methodological basis of interdisciplinary studies for social participation of youth in post-soviet countries in the socio-cultural development of the city. Vestnik Surgutskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta=The Surgut State Pedagogical University Bulletin, 2020, no. 5(68), pp. 101–113. DOI: 10.26105/SSPU.2020.68.5.025 (in Russian).
- Antonova N.L., Abramova S.B., Polyakova V.V. The right to the city: Daily practices of youth and participation in the production of urban space. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny=Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 2020, no. 3, pp. 443–462. DOI: 10.14515/monitoring.2020.3.1597 (in Russian).
- Skalaban I.A. Defensive communities in urban conflict. Formation of the concept. In: Grabel’nykh T.I. (Ed.). Tsivilizatsionnye sdvigi v razvitii sovremennogo goroda: sb. nauchn. trudov [Civilizational shifts in the development of the modern city: Collection of Scientific Works]. Irkutsk, 2021, pp. 109–114 (in Russian).
- Bourdieu P. Prakticheskii smysl [The Logic of Practice]. Translated from French. Saint Petersburg: Aleteiya, 2001. 562 p.
- Giddens A. Ustroenie obshchestva: Ocherk teorii strukturatsii [The Constitution of Society. Outline of the Theory of Structuration]. Moscow: Akademicheskii proekt, 2003. 528 p.
- Berger P. L., Luckmann T. Sotsial’noe konstruirovanie real’nosti [The Social Construction of Reality]. Translated from English by E.D. Rutkevich. Moscow: Medium, 1995. 323 p.
- Meyer J.W., Boli J., Thomas G.M. Ontology and rationalization in the Western cultural account. In: Scott W.R., Meyer J.W. (Eds). Institutional Environments and Organizations. Structural Complexity and Individualism. London: Sage, 1994. Pp. 9–28.
- Meyer R.E., Vaara E. Institutions and actorhood as co-constitutive and co-constructed: The argument and areas for future research. Journal of Management Studies, 2020, vol. 57, pp. 898–910. DOI: 10.1111/joms.12561
- Antonova N.L. Social practice: the teoretiko-methodological bases of the research analysis. Izvestiya Ural’skogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya 3: Obshchestvennye nauki=Izvestia. Ural Federal University Journal. Series 3. Social Sciences, 2009, no. 4(70), pp. 92–98 (in Russian).
- Zaslavskaya T.I. On the subject-activity aspect of the transformation process. In: T.I. Zaslavskaya (Ed.) Kto i kuda stremitsya vesti Rossiyu? Aktory makro-, mezo- i mikrourovnei sovremennogo transformatsionnogo protsessa: Mezhdunar. simp., 19–20 yanv. 2001 g. [Who is trying to lead Russia and where? Actors of macro-, meso- and microlevels of modern transformation process: International Symposium, January 19–20, 2001]. Moscow: Mosk. vyssh. shk. sots. i ekon. nauk, 2001. Pp. 3–15 (in Russian).
- Shabanova M.A. On some benefits of integrating economic and sociological analysis of institutional change. Article 1: Institutions, practices, roles. Ekonomicheskaya sotsiologiya=Economic Sociology, 2006, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 11–26 (in Russian).
- Nureev R.M., Dement’ev V.V. (Eds.) Postsovetskii institutsionalizm [Post-Soviet Institutionalism]. Donetsk: Kashtan, 2005. 480 p.
- McAdam D., McCarthy J.D., Zald M.N. Comparative Perspectives on Social Movements: Political Opportunities, Mobilizing Structures, and Cultural Framing. Cambridge, 2004. 426 p.
- Volkov V.V. On the concept of practice(s) in the social sciences. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya=Sociological Studies, 1997, no. 6, pp. 9–23 (in Russian).
- Pel B., Bauler T. The Institutionalization of social innovation between transformation and capture. TRANSIT Working Paper, 2014, no. 2. Available at: http://www.transitsocialinnovation.eu/content/original/Book%20covers/Local%20PDFs/103%20TRANSIT_Governance_Positionpaper_Pel%20%20Bauler%202014%20(2).pdf
- Morgan R. On political institutions and social movement dynamics: The case of the United Nations and the Global indigenous movement. International Political Science Review, 2007, vol. 28 (3), pp. 273–292.
- Katzenstein M.F. Stepsisters: Feminist movement activism in different institutional spaces. In: Meyer D., Tarrow S. (Eds.). The Social Movement Society: Contentious Politics for a New Century. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefi eld., 1998. Pp. 195–216.
- Eisinger P.K. The conditions of protest behavior in American cities. The American Political Science Review, 1973, vol. 67 (1), pp. 11–14.
- Hensman M. Social movement organizations: A metaphor for strategic actors in institutional fields. Organization Studies, 2003, vol. 24 (3), pp. 355–381.
- Nikovskaya L.I., Skalaban I.A. Civic participation: features of discourse and actual trends of development. Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya=Polis. Political Studies, 2017, no. 6, pp. 43–60. DOI: 10.17976/jpps/2017.06.04 (in Russian).
- Tykanova E.V., Khokhlova A.M. The social construction of the outcomes of local urban conflicts in the discourse of activists and experts (the case of Nizhny Novgorod). In: Global’nye vyzovy i regional’noe razvitie v zerkale sotsiologicheskikh izmerenii: mat-ly V mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. internet-konf. [Global challenges and regional development in the mirror of sociological measurements: proceedings of the V International Scientific and Practical Internet Conference]. (Vologda, March 23–27, 2020): in 2 parts. Part 1. Vologda: VolRC RAS, 2020. Pp. 185–191 (in Russian).
- Armstrong E.A., Bernstein M. Culture, power, and institutions: A multi-institutional politics approach to social movements. Sociological Theory, 2008, vol. 26 (1), pp. 74–99. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9558.2008.00319.x
- Snow D.A., Soule S.A., Kriesi H. The Blackwell Companion to Social Movements. Blackwell Publishing, 2004. 754 p.
- Sztompka P. Sotsiologiya. Analiz sovremennogo obshchestva [Sociology. Analysis of Modern Society]. Translated from Polish by S.M. Chervonnaya. Moscow: Logos, 2005. 664 p.
- Gamson W.A. The Strategy of Social Protest. Belmont: Wadsworth, 1990. 357 p.
- Diani M. Social movements and social capital: A network perspective on movement outcomes. Mobilization: An International Quarterly, 1997, vol. 2(2), pp. 129–147.
- Zhelnina A.A., Tykanova E.V. “Players” in “arenas”: A study of interactions in local urban conflicts (a case study of Saint Petersburg and Moscow). Zhurnal issledovaniya sotsial’noi politiki=The Journal of Social Policy Studies, 2021, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 212–222. DOI: 10.17323/727-0634-2021-19-2-205-222 (in Russian).
- Tilly Ch. Ot mobilizatsii k revolyutsii [From Mobilization to Revolution]. Translated from English by D. Karasev. Moscow: HSE Publishing House, 2019. 432 p.
- Kriesi H. The political opportunity structure of the Dutch peace movement. West European Politics, 1989, vol. 12 (3), pp. 295–312. DOI: 10.1080/01402388908424754
- Arnstein Sh.R. A ladder of citizen participation. JAIP, 1969, vol. 35 (4), pp. 216–224.
- Verevkin A.I., Sokolov A.V. Protest campaigns in constituent entities of the Russian Federation: Case of the protest campaign against the construction of the Okhta Center in St. Petersburg. POLITEKS=Political Expertise: POLITEX, 2012, no. 2, pp. 109–125 (in Russian).
- Snigireva N.V., Smirnov D.E. “White flowers”: Socio-environmental design as an instrument of territorial development. Arkhitektura i stroitel’stvo Rossii=Architecture and Construction of Russia, 2021, no. 2(238), pp. 63–72 (in Russian).
- Burns T.R., Diez T. Revolution: An evolutionary perspective. International Sociology, 2001, vol. 16(4), pp. 531– 555. DOI: 10.1177/0268580901016004001
- Grinberg R.S., Komolov O.O. Import of institutions: Theoretical aspect and practical experience. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2020, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 17–27. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2020.3.69.2 (in Russian).
- Vidyasov E.Yu., Tensina Ya.D., Vidyasova L.A. Assessment of levels of citizen involvement in the development of the urban environment in St. Petersburg: results of an expert survey. Informatsionnye resursy Rossii=Information Resources of Russia, 2021, no. 3(181), pp. 8–10. DOI: 10.46920/0204-3653_2021_03181_8 (in Russian).
- Garadzha V.I. Sotsiologiya religii [Sociology of Religion]. Moscow: Nauka, 1995. 235 p.
- Uskova T.V., Sekushina I.A. Strategic priorities of small and medium towns’ development. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2021, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 56–70. DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.1.73.5 (in Russian).