Experimental validation of contextual variables for research resources recommender system
Автор: Folasade O. Isinkaye, Yetunde O. Folajimi
Статья в выпуске: 4 vol.10, 2018 года.
Context-aware recommender system (CARS) is a promising technique for recommending research resources to users (researchers) by predicting their preferences (resources) under different situations. If the contextual information given to such a system is inappropriate, it will certainly have a negative effect on the nature of recommendation output generated by the system as well as making the system to have high dimensionality complexity. Currently, several CARS recommendation algorithms have been developed but they have failed to bring to bear the means and importance of experimentally validating the contextual information used in different domains of application of CARS. Hence, this paper experimentally validates the contextual variables in the domain of research resources by splitting a research resource (article) into three major sections (introduction, review and methodology). These sections are the contextual variables validated in order to authenticate their viability as context that could be used in recommending research resources based on the specific section of an article a researcher is interested in. The result of our experiment shows that irrespective of the domain of articles, journal articles have higher variability in their citations at introduction, very significant variability between the articles in the review and high variability in the methodology contextual variable respectively than the articles in the proceeding under the three contextual variables. This experiment shows that these three variables could be used as context .It also shows the percentage of splitting that could be used within journals and proceedings for context-aware research resources recommendations.
Validation, Contextual Variable, Recommender Systems, Articles, Journal, Citations, Research Resources
Короткий адрес: https://readera.ru/15016480
IDR: 15016480 | DOI: 10.5815/ijisa.2018.04.06
Список литературы Experimental validation of contextual variables for research resources recommender system
- D. Gavalas, C. Konstantopoulos, K. Mastakas, and G. Pantziou “Mobile recommender systems in tourism,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, 2014, vol. 39, pp.319-33.
- F. O. Isinkaye, Y. O. Folajimi, and B. A. Ojokoh, “Recommendation systems: Principles, methods and evaluation,” Egyptian Informatics Journal, 2015, vol.16 no. 3 pp. 261-273.
- F. M. Harper and J. A. Konstan, “The movielens datasets: History and context,” ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS), 2016, vol.5, no. 4, pp. 19.
- C. A. Gomez-Uribe and N. Hunt, “The netflix recommender system: Algorithms, business value, and innovation,” ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (TMIS), 2016, vol. 6, no.4, pp. 13.
- D. Doychev, A. Lawlor, R. Rafter and B. Smyth, “An analysis of recommender algorithms for online news,” In CLEF 2014 Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum: Information Access Evaluation Meets Multilinguality, Multimodality and Interaction, 15-18 September 2014, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
- R. Ren, L. Zhang, L. Cui, B. Deng, and Y Shi, “Personalized financial news recommendation algorithm based on ontology,” Procedia Computer Science, 2015, vol. 55, pp. 843-851.
- M. O. Omisore and O. W. Samuel, “Personalized Recommender System for Digital Libraries,” International Journal of Web-Based Learning and Teaching Technologies (IJWLTT), 2014, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 18-32.
- O. C. Santos, M. Saneiro, J. G. Boticario and M. C. Rodriguez-Sanchez, “Toward interactive context-aware affective educational recommendations in computer-assisted language learning,” New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 2016, vol. 22, no.1-2, pp.27-57.
- S. S. Li and E. Karahanna, “Online recommendation systems in a B2C E-commerce context: a review and future directions,” Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2015, vol. 16, no.2, pp. 72-107.
- W.Q Qwaider. “A personalized E-learning Portal D2L Recommender system,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2017, vol.12, no.8, 2084-2087.
- S. Feyer, S. Sieber, B. Gipp, A. Aizawa and J Beel, “Integration of the Scientific Recommender System Mr. DLib into the Reference Manager JabRef,” In European Conference on Information Retrieval ,April 2017, pp. 770-774.
- F. J. Cabrerizo, J. A. Morente-Molinera, I. J. Pérez, J. López-Gijón and E. Herrera-Viedma, “A decision support system to develop a quality management in academic digital libraries,” Information Sciences, 2015, 323, 48-58.
- B. Amini, R. Ibrahim, M. S. Othman and M. A. Nematbakhsh, “A reference ontology for profiling scholar’s background knowledge in recommender systems,” Expert Systems with Applications, 2015, vol. 42, no.2, pp. 913-928.
- H. Liu, X. Kong, X. Bai, W. Wang, T. M. Bekele and F. Xia, “Context-based collaborative filtering for citation recommendation,” IEEE Access, 2015, vol. 3 pp. 1695-1703.
- G. Nesrine, B. Naouar, B. Ahlame and Z. “Arslane,” Improving the Proactive Recommendation in Smart Home Environments: An Approach Based on Case Based Reasoning and BP-Neural Network,” International Journal of Intelligent Systems and Applications, 2015,vol. 7, vol.7,pp. 29-35
- M. J. Barranco, J. M. Noguera, J. Castro, and L. A. Martínez, “Context-aware mobile recommender system based on location and trajectory," In Management intelligent systems, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012, pp. 153-162.
- M. A.Domingues, M. G. Manzato, R. M. Marcacini, C.V. Sundermann, and S. O. Rezende, “Using contextual information from topic hierarchies to improve context-aware recommender system,”. In Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2014 22nd International Conference, 2014, pp. 3606-3611.
- U. Panniello, A. Tuzhilin, M. Gorgoglione, C. Palmisano, and A. Pedone, “Experimental comparison of pre-vs. post-filtering approaches in context-aware recommender systems,” In Proceedings of the third ACM conference on Recommender systems, 2009, pp. 265-268.
- G. Adomavicius, A. Tuzhilin, “Context-aware recommender systems,” In Recommender systems handbook, Springer US, 2011, pp. 217-253.
- S. D. Seifu and S. Mogalla, “A Comprehensive Literature Survey of Context-Aware Recommender Systems,” International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, December 2016, vol. 6, vol. 12. pp. 40-46
- B. Hidasi and D. and Tikk, “General factorization framework for context-aware recommendations,” Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 2016, vol. 30, no.2, pp.342-371.
- T N.Nguyen and N. A. Te, “Towards context-aware recommendations: Strategies for exploiting multi-criteria communities,” In Collaborative Computing, Application and Worksharing (Collaborecom), 9th International Conference, October 2013, pp. 105-114..
- C. Pan and W. Li, “Research paper recommendation with topic analysis,” In Computer Design and Applications (ICCDA), 2010 International Conference, June 2010, vol. 4 pp. V4-264.
- B. Kim and J. Lee, “Improved Post-Filtering Method Using Context Compensation,” International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, 2016, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 119-12.
- J. Tang and J. Zhang, “A discriminative approach to topic-based citation recommendation,” In Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Springer Berlin Heidelberg. April 2009, pp. 572-579.
- V. C. Ostuni, T. Di Noia, R. Mirizzi, D. Romito and E.D. Sciascio, “Cinemappy: a context-aware mobile app for movie recommendations boosted by dbpedia,” In Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Semantic Technologies Meet Recommender Systems & Big Data, Nov. 2012, vol. 919, pp. 37-48.
- T. H. Soliman, S. A. Mohamed and A. A Sewisy, “Developing a mobile location-based collaborative Recommender System for GIS applications,” In Computer Engineering & Systems (ICCES), 2015 Tenth International Conference, Dec. 2015, pp. 267-273.
- S. A. E. M. Mohamed, T.H.A. Soliman and A. A. Sewisy, “A Context-Aware Recommender System for Personalized Places in Mobile Applications,” International Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Applications, 2016, vol. 1 no.7 pp. 442-448.
- R. Sharma, S. Vinayak and R. Singh, “Guide Me: A Research Work Area Recommender System,” International Journal of Intelligent Systems and Applications, 2016, vol. 8, no. 9, pp.30-37
- P. G. Campos, F. Díez, I. Cantador, “Time-aware recommender systems: a comprehensive survey and analysis of existing evaluation protocols,” User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction. 2014, vol.24 no.(1-2), pp. 67-119.
- V. Codina, F. Ricci and L. Ceccaroni, “Distributional semantic pre-filtering in context-aware recommender systems,” User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 2016, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1-32.
- G. Adomavicius, A. Tuzhilin, “Context-aware recommender systems,” In Recommender systems handbook, Springer US, 2015, pp. 191-226.
- K. Verbert, N. Manouselis, X. Ochoa, M. Wolpers, H. Drachsler, I. Bosnic and E. Duval, “Context-aware recommender systems for learning: a survey and future challenges,” IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 2012, vol.5, no.4, pp.318-335.
- Z. D. Champiri, S. R. Shahamiri and S. S Salim, “A systematic review of scholar context-aware recommender systems,” Expert Systems with Applications, Feb. 2015, vol.42, no. 3, pp.1743-1758.
- C. Palmisano, A. Tuzhilin and M Gorgoglione, “Using context to improve predictive modeling of customers in personalization applications,” IEEE transactions on knowledge and data engineering, 2008, vol. 20,no. 11, pp.1535-49.
- K. Oku, S. Nakajima, J. Miyazaki and S. Uemura, “Context-aware SVM for context-dependent information recommendation,” In Mobile Data Management, 2006. MDM 2006. 7th International Conference, May 2006, pp. 109-109.
- M. Kompan and M. Bieliková, “Context-based satisfaction modelling for personalized recommendations,” In Semantic and Social Media Adaptation and Personalization (SMAP), 2013 8th International Workshop, Dec. 2013, pp. 33-38.
- M. Kaminskas and F. Ricci, “Location-adapted music recommendation using tags,” In International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation, and Personalization, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, July 2011, pp. 183-194.
- H, S. Park, J. O. Yoo and S.B Cho, “A context-aware music recommendation system using fuzzy bayesian networks with utility theory,” In International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Sept. 2006, pp. 970-979.
- Q. He, D. Kifer, J. Pei, P. Mitra and C. L. Giles, “Citation recommendation without author supervision,” In Proceedings of the fourth ACM international conference on Web search and data mining, Feb. 2011, pp. 755-764.
- W. Huang, Z. Wu, L. Chen, P Mitra and C. L. Giles, “A Neural Probabilistic Model for Context Based Citation Recommendation,” In AAAI, Jan. 2015, pp. 2404-2410.
- Y. Zheng, “A revisit to the identification of contexts in recommender systems,” In Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces Companion, March 2015, pp. 133-136.
- H. Liu, H. Zhang, K. Hui and H. He, “Overview of context-aware recommender system research,” In 3rd International Conference on Mechatronics, Robotics and Automation (ICMRA 2015), 2015b, pp. 1218-1221.
- Y. H. Zhang and X. Jia, “Republication of conference papers in journals?,” Learned Publishing, 2013, vol. 26, no. 3, pp.189-196.
- Vrettas G, Sanderson M. Conferences versus journals in computer science. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 2015, 66(12):2674-2684.
- M. Jiang, P. Cui, R. Liu, Q. Yang, F. Wang, W. Zhu and S. Yang, “Social contextual recommendation,” In Proceedings of the 21st ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management, Oct. 2012, pp. 45-54.
- R. Dias and M. J. Fonseca, “ Improving music recommendation in session-based collaborative filtering by using temporal context,” In Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI), 2013 IEEE 25th International Conference, Nov 4, 2013, pp. 783-788.