Effective vocabulary teaching and learning strategies in English for specific purposes
Автор: Khamitova A.G., Mukhtarkhanova A.M., Zarkesheva A.E.
Журнал: Juvenis scientia @jscientia
Статья в выпуске: 2, 2019 года.
Communicating in a foreign language is impossible without mastering vocabulary. It is of special importance in English for Specific Purposes (further ESP) courses as requirements of modern realities in Kazakhstan force experts to know enough ESP vocabulary to be able to demonstrate their knowledge in their professional sphere. Since vocabulary plays such an important role in ESP courses it is essential to determine what strategies ensure effective teaching and learning it in specific groups of learners. This paper presents results of a study held on vocabulary teaching and learning strategies employed by ESP teachers and learners at L.N. Gumilyev Eurasian national university (further ENU) in Astana, Kazakhstan. An open-ended questionnaire and a semi-structured interview were conducted among 20 ESP teachers and 48 ESP students of L.N. Gumilyev ENU. The questions elicit not only teachers’ vocabulary teaching experiences and opinions about the most effective vocabulary teaching approaches but also the reasons for students’ vocabulary learning and using problems. During the interview students described their preferred vocabulary learning styles and confirmed the importance of learning vocabulary in ESP. The study determined the most effective ESP vocabulary teaching and learning strategies for teachers to use at L.N. Gumilyev Eurasian National University.
Esp vocabulary teaching and learning, vocabulary teaching strategies, vocabulary learning styles, categories of esp vocabulary, categories of vocabulary teaching techniques
Короткий адрес: https://readera.ru/14114555
IDR: 14114555 | DOI: 10.32415/jscientia.2019.02.06
Список литературы Effective vocabulary teaching and learning strategies in English for specific purposes
- Fiorito L Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP). UsingEnglish.com. URL: http://www.usingenglish.com/teachers/
- McCarthy M Vocabulary, Oxford: O.U.P., 1990.
- Widodo HP Designing and implementing task-based Vocational English (VE) materials: Text, language, task, and context. In H. Reinders & M. Thomas (Eds.) Contemporary task-based language learning and teaching (TBLT) in Asia: Challenges, opportunities and future directions, London: Bloomsbury, 2015. Pp. 291-312.
- Richards JC, Renandya WA, editors. Methodology in Language Teaching: An Anthology of Current Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2002. (Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching). http://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511667190.
- Wu LF Technical college students' perceptions of English for specific purposes vocabulary learning and teaching. International Journal of English Language Education. 2014;2(1):176-189. https://doi.org/10.5296/ijele.v2i1.4987.
- Kunanbaeva SS, Duisekova KK, Chaklikova AT, et al. Tipovye uchebnye programmy po distsiplinam GOSO. «Yazyki triedinstva» (Kazakhskii, russkii, inostrannyi). Almaty: Kazakh Ablai khan University of International Relations and World Languages; 2014. (in Russ.)
- Yekibayeva NA, Khamitova AG Effectiveness of cognitive approach in teaching reading ESP texts. International Education and Research Journal. 2016;2(4):41-43.
- Nation P, Meara P Vocabulary. In N. Schmitt (ed.) An Introduction to Applied Linguistics. London: Arnold; 2001.
- Jordan RR English for academic purposes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1996.
- Coxhead A Vocabulary and ESP. In B. Paltridge, S. Starfield (Eds.), The Handbook of English for Specific Purposes. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2013.
- Nation P Learning vocabulary in another language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2001.
- Dudley-Evans T, St. John M Developments in English for Specific Purposes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1998.
- Nation P, Newton J Teaching vocabulary. In J. Coady & T. Huckin (Eds.), Second language vocabulary acquisition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1997.
- Oxford R, Crookall D Vocabulary learning: a critical analysis of techniques. TESL Canada Journal. 1990;7(2):9-30. 10.18806/tesl.v7i2.566
- DOI: :10.18806/tesl.v7i2.566
- Li S Vocabulary Learning Beliefs, Strategies and Language Learning Outcomes: a study of Chinese learners of English in Higher Vocational Education (Doctoral dissertation, AUT University); 2010.
- Horwitz EK Cultural and situational influences on foreign language learners' beliefs about language learning: a review of BALLI studies. System 1999;27(4):557-576. 10.1016/S0346-251X(99)00050-0
- DOI: :10.1016/S0346-251
- Oxford R Language Learning Strategies: An Update. ERIC Digest. 1994. URL: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED376707
- Jim-Rohn quotes. Quotation Collection. URL: http://www.quotationcollection.com/author/Jim-Rohn/quotes.
- Chen HC Team-teaching English for special purposes: a new perspective. Tamkang Journal. 1994;(33):235-252.