Differences in Fertility and Reproductive Behavior Indicators
Автор: Arkhangel’skii V.N., Kalachikova O.N.
Рубрика: Social and economic development
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The search for the reasons that determine birth rate dynamics remains relevant from the practical and theoretical viewpoints. The aim of our research is to assess whether Russia’s population complies with the stable population model in terms of stability of sex structure. We make an attempt to calculate and assess reproduction indicators for male population. Having revealed that such calculations have methodological limitations, we propose a way to overcome them. According to calculations, in 2019 in Russia, the total fertility rate for women (1.504) was 9.1% higher than for men (1.378). The difference in the gross reproduction rate was 3.1% (0.730 for women and 0.708 for men), in the net reproduction rate – 6.0% (0.719 for women, 0.678 for men). The difference in the value of the rate of natural increase in women and men is 5.0% (-11.5 and -12.1%, respectively). Due to the presence of two quantitatively different reproduction modes in the female and male generations, we doubt it would be possible to implement a stable population model. The age-related model of fertility in men, as well as in women, is shifting toward older ages (in the groups aged 25–29 and 30–34). The average age when men become fathers has also increased: from 31.51 years in 2011 to 32.40 in 2019. We also analyze the fertility rate model according to the age of the mother and father. We have determined that in most cases (70% in 2019) the father is older than the mother, in 19% of cases the mother is older than the father, in 11% – both parents are of the same age. Fathers are 1–4 years older than mothers in 44–64% of cases (depending on the age of the mother). It is noteworthy that the difference in the age of parents is higher when children are born out of wedlock. In the future, we find it interesting to study gender-related differences in reproductive motivation and other determinants of male and female fertility.
Stable population, age-related fertility model, reproduction of the male population, reproductive behavior, fertility, age difference between fathers and mothers
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234814
IDR: 147234814 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.10
Список литературы Differences in Fertility and Reproductive Behavior Indicators
- Sinel’nikov A.B. Demographic self-regulation in terms of population growth and decline. Sotsiologicheskii zhurnal=Sociological Journal, 2019, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 84–92. DOI: 10.19181/socjour.2019.25.4.6819 (in Russian).
- Vishnevskii A.G. Demographic transition and the problem of demographic self-regulation. Answer to A.B. Sinelnikov. Sotsiologicheskii zhurnal=Sociological Journal, 2019, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 93–104. DOI: 10.19181/socjour.2019.25.4.6820 (in Russian).
- Dinkel R., Milenovic I. Male and female fertility: A comparison of age-specific and cohort fertility of both sexes in Germany. Genus, 1993, vol. 49, pp. 147–158.
- Harris I., Fronczak C., Roth L., Meacham R. Fertility and the aging male. Rev Urol, 2011, vol. 13(4), pp. 184–190.
- Myrskylä M., Kohler H.-P., Billari F.C. Advances in development reverse fertility declines. Nature, 2009, no. 460. pp. 741–743.
- Myrskylä M., Kohler H.-P., Billari F. C. High development and fertility: Fertility at older reproductive ages and gender equality explain the positive link. MPIDR Working Paper, 2011, WP-2011-017, 55 p.
- Dudel C., Klusener S. Male-female fertility differentials across 17 high-income countries: Insights from a new data resource. European Journal of Population – Revue Europeenne de Demographie, 2021, vol. 37, issue 2, pp. 417–441. DOI 10.1007/s10680-020-09575-9
- Schoumaker B. Male fertility around the world and over time: How different is it from female fertility? Population and Development Review, 2019, vol. 45, issue 3, pp. 459–498.
- Schoumaker B. Measuring male fertility rates in developing countries with demographic and health surveys: An assessment of three methods. Demographic Research, 2017, vol. 36, pp. 803–850.
- Bagavos C., Tragiki A. The compositional effects of education and employment on Greek male and female fertility rates during 2000–2014. Demographic Research, 2017, vol. 36, pp. 1435–1451.
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Male reproduction rates. In: Problemy statistiki naseleniya, torgovli i zhiznennogo urovnya [Problems of Population, Trade, and Living Standards Statistics]. Moscow: MESI, 1980. Pp. 13–18 (in Russian).
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Vosproizvodstvo naseleniya Rossii: monografiya [Reproduction of Russia’s Population: Monograph]. Moscow: NII sem’i, 1998. 115 p.
- Boiko V.V. Malodetnaya sem’ya: sotsial’no-psikhologicheskii aspekt [A Family with Few Children: The Socio-Psychological Aspect]. Moscow, 1988. 231 p.
- Golod S.I. Stabil’nost’ sem’i: sotsiologicheskii i demograficheskii aspekty [Family Stability: Sociological and Demographic Aspects]. Leningrad, 1984. 136 p.
- Kiseleva G., Rodzinskaya I. Reproductive attitudes of men (based on a socio-demographic study in Moscow). In: Aktual’nye problemy demografii [Current Problems of Demography]. Riga, 1983. Pp. 61–64 (in Russian).
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Reproductive behavior and value orientations of the urban population. In: Gorodskaya i sel’skaya sem’ya [Urban and Rural Family]. Moscow, 1987. Pp. 21–44 (in Russian).
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Reproductive orientations and their determination in urban families. In: Rozhdaemost’: sotsiologicheskie i demograficheskie aspekty [The Sociological and Demographic Aspects of the Birth Rate]. Moscow, 1988. Pp. 4–30 (in Russian).
- Kuz’min A.I. Sem’ya na Urale: demograficheskie aspekty vybora zhiznennogo puti [Family in the Urals: Demographic Aspects of Choosing a Life Path]. Yekaterinburg, 1993. 235 p.
- Kuz’min A.I. The role of young families in the reproduction of the region’s population. In: Molodaya sem’ya i realizatsiya aktivnoi sotsial’noi politiki v regione [The Young Family and the Implementation of Active Social Policy in the Region]. Sverdlovsk, 1990. Pp. 28–43 (in Russian).
- Kuz’min A.I., Alferova E.Yu. Experience of studying demographic aspects of interethnic relations in Bashkir rural area. In: Rossiya i Vostok: Problemy vzaimodeistviya [Russia and the East: Problems of Interaction]. Ufa, 1993, pp. 168–173 (in Russian).
- Borisov V.A., Sinel’nikov A.B. Brachnost’ i rozhdaemost’ v Rossii: demograficheskii analiz [Marriage and Fertility in Russia: Demographic Analysis]. Moscow, 1995. 119 p.
- Arkhangel’skii V.N., Shilova L.S. Demographic behavior of a family from Pskov: Today and tomorrow. In: Sem’ya i semeinaya politika v Pskovskoi oblasti [Family and Family Policy in the Pskov Oblast]. Pskov, 1994. Pp. 432– 455. Available at: https://vivaldi.pskovbook.ru/semya%20soder%20vved.pdf/view (in Russian).
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Semeinaya zhizn’ i tendentsii vosproizvodstva naseleniya v Velikom Novgorode [Family Life and Reproduction Trends in Veliky Novgorod]. Moscow, 2002. 441 p. Available at: https://textarchive.ru/c-1097960-pall.html
- Sem’ya v Khanty-Mansiiskom avtonomnom okruge [Family in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug]. Moscow. Khanty-Mansiysk, 1999. Pp. 36–37.
- Kuz’min A.I., Obodyanikov E.Z. Sotsial’nye i demograficheskie problemy sem’i biznesmena [Social and Demographic Problems of the Businessman’s Family]. Yekaterinburg, 2002. 236 p.
- Arkhangel’skii V.N. Faktory rozhdaemosti [Fertility Factors]. Mosow, 2006. 399 p. Available at: https://www.econ.msu.ru/sys/raw.php?o=39692&p=attachment
- Fedulova A.B. Reproductive behavior of young families in the Arkhangelsk Region. Vestnik Severnogo (Arkticheskogo) federal’nogo universiteta imeni M.V. Lomonosova. Seriya: Gumanitarnye i sotsial’nye nauki=Vestnik of Northern (Arctic) Federal University. Series “Humanitarian and Social Sciences”, 2015, no. 5, pp. 65–75. Available at: https://medbio.narfu.ru/upload/iblock/da5/65_75.pdf (in Russian).
- Kalachikova O.N., Shabunova A.A. Reproduktivnoe povedenie kak faktor vosproizvodstva naseleniya: tendentsii i perspektivy [Reproductive Behavior as a Factor in Population Reproduction: Trends and Prospects]. Vologda, 2015. 172 p.
- Kalachikova O.N. Reproductive behavior of modern men: Attitudes, practices, and the value of fatherhood. In: Sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie i demograficheskie aspekty realizatsii natsional’nykh proektov v regione: sb. statei X Ural’skogo demograficheskogo foruma [Socio-economic and demographic aspects of the implementation of national projects in the region: Proceedings of the 10th Ural Demographic Forum]. Yekaterinburg: Institut ekonomiki UrO RAN, 2019. Vol. 1. Pp. 36–42. Available at: https://uiec.ru/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/%D0%A1%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%94%D0%A4_1-2019.pdf (in Russian).
- Antonova A.I. (Ed.). Tsennosti semeino-detnogo obraza zhizni (SeDOZh–2019): analiticheskii otchet po rezul’tatam mezhregional’nogo sotsiologo-demograficheskogo issledovaniya; Moskva, MGU imeni M.V. Lomonosova [Values of the Family-Children Way of Life (SeDOZh–2019): Analytical Report on the Results of an Inter-Regional Socio-Demographic Study; Moscow, Lomonosov Moscow State University]. Moscow: MAKS Press, 2020. 486 p. DOI: 10.29003/m857.SeDOJ-2019 (in Russian).
- Antonova A.I. (Ed.). Skhodstvo i razlichie tsennostnykh orientatsii muzhei i zhen po rezul’tatam odnovremennogo oprosa suprugov [Similarities and Differences in Value Orientations of Husbands and Wives According to the Results of a Survey of Spouses]. Moscow: Pero, 2021. 240 p.
- Taba L. Relationships between age structure, fertility, mortality, and migration. Reproduction and renewal of the population. In: Demograficheskie modeli [Demographic Patterns]. Moscow: Statistics, 1977. Pp. 27–88 (in Russian).