Current stage of international cooperation in the Arctic: search for answers to the challenges of economic development
Автор: Lipina Svetlana A., Fadeev Aleksei M., Zaikov Konstantin S., Lipina Aleksandra V., Kondratov Nikolai А.
Рубрика: Global experience
Статья в выпуске: 4 т.14, 2021 года.
The transformations in the natural and socio-economic environment occurring in the Far North and the Arctic put forward the problem of regional sustainable development. This makes it necessary to address the task of finding strategic approaches to the management of the nonstandard Arctic region, considering the national interests of many states, including the Russian Federation, which dominates territorially in this region. Taking into account the size of the Arctic space and the extreme conditions of economic management, it seems relevant to comprehend the experience of international cooperation in the Arctic and analyze its use for socio-economic development in the entire Arctic region. The aim of the article is to analyze the current stage of international cooperation so as to find answers to the challenges of socio-economic development of the Arctic region. To achieve the goal, we have analyzed the state policy features of the Arctic states based on strategic planning, thus the northern states are able to adapt to the changing natural, socio-economic and geopolitical conditions. We considered approaches in the implementation of projects to develop mineral deposits on the continental shelf of the Arctic Ocean. With the support of international cooperation we give examples of nature management aimed at harmonization of economic interests of business entities and the need to preserve the environment quality in the Arctic. The scientific novelty consists in the critical analysis of the international cooperation features in the Arctic and its readiness to participate in overcoming the new challenges of the Arctic development. The practical relevance of the study lies in the fact that its findings can be used in the educational process in universities, as well as at the state level by executive and legislative authorities in the development and implementation of state policy in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation, considering the features of international cooperation.
The arctic, development strategies, international cooperation, climate change, sustainable development
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147235428
IDR: 147235428 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.4.76.15
Список литературы Current stage of international cooperation in the Arctic: search for answers to the challenges of economic development
- Yasyukevich V.V. et al. (Eds.). Vtoroi otsenochnyi doklad Rosgidrometa ob izmeneniyakh klimata i ikh posledstviyakh na territorii Rossiiskoi Federatsii: tekhnicheskoe rezyume [The Second Roshydromet Assessment Report on Climate Change and Its Consequences in the Russian Federation: Technical Summary]. Moscow: Roshydromet, 2014. 93 p.
- IPCC, 2014: Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri and L.A. Meyer (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 163 p.
- Smirnova O.O., Lipina S.A., Sokolov M.S. Modern prospects and challenges for sustainable development of the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation. Trendy i upravlenie=Trends and Management, 2017, no. 1, pp. 1–15 (in Russian).
- Mason A. Consulting Arctic energy: from political hearings to roundtable events. In: Nuttall M., Christensen T.R., Siegert M. (Eds.). The Routledge Handbook of the Polar Regions. London: Routledge, 2018. 556 p.
- Berry D.A., Bowles N., Jones H. (Eds.). Governing the North American Arctic: sovereignty, security, and institutions. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016. 277 p.
- Kalinina M.R., Kondratov N.A. The innovative vector of the Nordic countries’ competitiveness: Case of Sweden. Arktika i Sever=Arctic and North, 2018, no. 33, pp. 5–29 (in Russian).
- Zaikov K.S., Kalinina M.R., Kondratov N.A., Tamitskii A.M. Innovation course of economic development in the Northern and Arctic territories in Russia and in the Nordic countries. Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2017, vol. 10(3), pp. 59–73.
- Konishev V.N., Sergunin A.A. The Arctic strategy in the North America and Russia. Rossiya i Amerika v XXI veke=Russia and America in the XXI century, 2011, no. 2, p. 11 (in Russian).
- Konishev V.N., Sergunin A.A. US – Russia relations in the Arctic: cooperation or competition? World Economy and International Relations, 2018, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 103–111.
- Rykhtik M. Arctic in the focus of geopolitical interests. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya=World Economy and International Relations, 2012, no. 4, pp. 125–127 (in Russian).
- Kharlamp’eva N.K., Lagutina M.L. International cooperation in the Arctic: ecological and political aspect. Obshchestvo. Sreda. Razvitie=Society. Environment. Development, 2010, no. 3(16), pp. 212–217 (in Russian).
- Kharlamp’eva N.K. Formation of the world politics transnational environment in the Arctic region. Vestnik Rossiiskogo Universiteta Druzhby Narodov. Seriya: Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya=Vestnik RUDN. International Relations, 2007, no. 1, pp. 28–35 (in Russian).
- International intellectual cooperation in the Arctic. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2011, no. 4, pp. 102–107 (in Russian).
- Chumakov D.S. The state and prospects of international energy cooperation in the Arctic. Neftyanoe khozyaistvo=Oil Industry, 2008, no. 6, pp. 51–53 (in Russian).
- Zagorskii A.V., Nikitina A.I. (Eds.). Mezhdunarodnoe sotrudnichestvo v Arktike: problemy bezopasnosti i razvitiya [International cooperation in the Arctic: Issues of security and development]. Moscow: Russian Association of Political Science (Political Science Association), Russian Political Encyclopedia, 2013. 102 p.
- Gal’tseva N.V., Favstritskaya O.S., Sharypova O.A. A monostructural development of the Arctic territories: Russian and foreign experience. Vestnik Severo-Vostochnogo nauchnogo tsentra DVO RAN=Bulletin of North-East Scientific Center of Far-East Branch of RAS, 2015, no. 3, pp. 109–118 (in Russian).
- Kudryashova E. V., Lipina S.A., Zaikov K.S., Bocharova L.K., Lipina A.V., Kuprikov M., Kuprikov N.M. Arctic zone of the Russian Federation: Development problems and new management philosophy. The Polar Journal, 2019, no. 9(2), pp. 445–458.
- Pilyasov A.N. North futurology: Next twenty years. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2014, no. 3(15), pp. 62–71 (in Russian).
- Pilyasov A.N. North futurology: Next twenty years. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2014, no. 4(16), pp. 93–101 (in Russian).
- Pilyasov A.N. The Arctic mediterranean area: Prerequisites for the formation of a new macro-region. EKO=ECO Journal, 2010, no. 12(438), pp. 54–75 (in Russian).
- Loukacheva N. The Arctic Council and “Law-Making”. Northern Review, 2020, issue 50, pp. 109–135.
- Hurrell A., Kingsbury B. The International Politics of the Environment. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992. 512 p.
- Kukkonen A., Stoddart MCJ., Yla-Anitta T. Actors and justifications in media debates on Arctic climate change in Finland and Canada: A network approach. Acta Sociologica, March 2020.
- Biedermann R. Adapting to the changing Arctic? The European Union, the Nordics, and the Barents Governance Mosaic. Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 2020, vol. 28, issue 2, pp. 167–181.
- Landriault M. Globalization as discursive resource legitimating sovereignty: The case of the Canadian Arctic. Cogent Social Sciences, 2017, vol. 3, issue 1, pp. 109–117.
- Vaatanen V. Investigating the particularities of regionalization: contested state-federal relations and the politics of Alaska’s Arctic Policy. Geografiska Annaler Series B – Human Geography, 2019, vol. 101, issue. 3, pp. 171–186.
- Kossa M., Lomaeva M., Saunavaara J. East Asian subnational government involvement in the Arctic: A case for paradiplomacy? PACIFIC REVIEW, February 2020.
- Hong N. Ocean governance in the Asia-Pacific and the Arctic regional practice and lessons learned. Korean Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2020, vol. 8, iss. 1, рр. 59–86.
- Osthagen A. International cooperation as an Arctic solution? In: Coast Guard and Ocean Politics in the Arctic. 2020. Pp. 65–77.
- Byers M., Covey N. Arctic SAR and the “security dilemma”. International Journal, 2020, vol. 74, iss. 4, pp. 499–517.
- Osthagen A. A Case of bilateral cooperation: Norway–Russia. In: Coast Guard and Ocean Politics in the Arctic. 2020. Pp. 47–63.
- Kobajashi T. Sustainable resource development in the Arctic: Using export trade agreements to restrict environmentally harmful subsidies. Polar Record, 2020, vol. 56, no. e17.
- Zhuravel’ V. Arctic Council Chairmanship from Finland to Iceland. Sovremennaya Evropa=Contemporary Europe, 2019, no. 4, pp. 97–107 (in Russian).
- Gutenev M., Konyshev V., Sergunin A. Norway’s Arctic Vector: Continuity and innovations. Sovremennaya Evropa=Contemporary Europe, 2019, no. 4, pp. 108–118 (in Russian).
- Lipina S.A. Special regimes of economic activity: Prospects for use in the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation. MIR (Modernizatsiya. Innovatsii. Razvitie)=MIR (Modernization. Innovation. Research), 2017, vol. 8, no. 3(31), pp. 357–367 (in Russian).
- Furman E. EU high-level Arctic event: “A sustainable Arctic – innovative approaches”. The Polar Journal, 2017, no. 7 (2), pp. 436–437.
- Hasselström L., Håkansson C., Noring M., Soutukorva Å., Khaleeva Yu. Costs and benefits associated with marine oil spill prevention in Northern Norway. The Polar Journal, 2017, no. 7(1), pp. 165–180.
- Young O.R. The shifting landscape of Arctic politics: Implications for international cooperation. The Polar Journal, 2016, no. 6(2), pp. 209–223.
- Bogoyavlenskii V.I. The Russian and Norwegian Barents Sea areas: A study of oil and gas presence and prospects. Arktika: ekologiya i ekonomika=Arctic: Ecology and Economy, 2011, no. 2, pp. 64–75 (in Russian).
- Toskunina V.E. Osvoenie novogo neftegazovogo regiona v sovremennykh ekonomicheskikh usloviyakh (teoreticheskie osnovy i prakticheskie podkhody k formirovaniyu programmy razvitiya Nenetskogo avtonomnogo okruga) [Development of a New Oil and Gas Region in Modern Economic Conditions (Theoretical Foundations and Practical Approaches to the Formation of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug Development Program)]. Yekaterinburg: Institute of Economics of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2003. 281 p.
- Yilmaz S. Exploring China’s Arctic Strategy: Opportunities and challenges. China Quarterly of International Strategic Studies, 2017, vol. 3, iss. 1, pp. 57–78.
- Agranat G.A. Ispol’zovanie resursov i osvoenie territorii Zarubezhnogo Severa [Use of Resources and Development of the Territory of the Foreign North]. Moscow: Nauka, 1984. 263 p.
- Krivorotov A.K. The unequal division in half: to the signing of the Russian-Norwegian treaty on the delimitation in the Arctic. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Seriya 25. Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya i mirovaya politika=MSU Vestnik. Series 25. International Relations and World Politics, 2011, no. 2, pp. 62–91 (in Russian).