Assessing the level of social adaptation among young migrants in the megapolis
Автор: Osadchaya Galina I.
Рубрика: Social development
Статья в выпуске: 1 т.14, 2021 года.
The purpose of the research is to develop a methodology for a sociological analysis. It should also be a basis for assessing the level of migrants’ social adaptation, its impact on the solution of key accommodation problems, behavior reactions, social sentiments, ideas about Russia’s adaptation strategies, personal acculturation strategies, and support for integration processes in the EAEU. The novelty of the research is the lack of a consistent theoretical model for the empirical measurement and explanation of these complex processes, as well as the necessity to study young Kyrgyzstan citizens living in Moscow as a group with the most serious adaptation difficulties, compared to migrants from other EAEU member states. The analysis of young Kyrgyzstan citizens’ adaptation in Moscow is based on basic ideas of sociological theories on adapting a person to changing social environment: social adaptation creates a conceptual field that encompasses a wide range of interaction with such phenomena as accommodation, acculturation and integration as a result of successful integration into the structures of host societies, adaptation to the norms and ideas of the majority. Methodological strategy includes structured interviews of young migrants from Kyrgyzstan who live in Moscow. We selected participants using the snowball sampling with the following criteria: Kyrgyzstan citizens, aged 17-30, who arrived in Moscow after 2015 and lived there for more than a month. Unlike our previous works that analyze certain aspects of adaptation of migrants from Kyrgyzstan in the Russian regions, the current study achieves several objectives. It creates opportunities for expanding the study on the social adaptation features of young citizens from the Kyrgyz Republic. Our research enhances the migrants’ social adaptation theory with new methodological content. This work also allows ensuring the implementation of further empirical studies on the social adaptation issues of migrants from the EAEU member states in Russia conceptually. It provides a differentiated approach to the development of adequate tools and mechanisms by social institutions in Kyrgyzstan, Russia, The Eurasian Economic Commission and creation of productive environment for social adaptation.
Social adaptation, accommodation, acculturation, integration, migrants, eurasian economic union, level of social adaptation
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147225518
IDR: 147225518 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.1.73.13
Список литературы Assessing the level of social adaptation among young migrants in the megapolis
- Durkheim E. Sotsiologiya. Ee predmet, metod, prednaznachenie [Sociology. Its Subject, Method, Purpose]. Translated from French, compiled, afterword by A.B. Gofman. Moscow: Kanon, 1995. 352 p.
- Weber M. Osnovnye sotsiologicheskie ponyatiya [Basic Sociological Concepts]. In: Weber M. Selected Works. Moscow, 1990. Pp. 602–644 (in Russian).
- Parsons Т. A functional theory of change. In: Social Change: Source, Pattern and Consequence. Ed. by Etzioni A. N.Y., 1964, pp. 83–97.
- Merton R. Sotsial’naya struktura i anomiya [Social Structure and Anomie]. Translated from French by E.A. Samarskaya; translation edited by M.N. Gretskii. In: Sotsiologiya prestupnosti (Sovremennye burzhuaznye teorii) [Sociology of Crime (Modern Bourgeois Theories)]. Moscow: Progress, 1966. Pp. 299–313 (in Russian).
- Park P. Race and Culture. Glencoe: Free Press, 1950. 456 p.
- Thomas W.I., Znaniecki F. The Polish Peasant in Europe and America. Vol. 2. University of Illinois Press, 1996. 127 p.
- Redfield R., Linton R., Herskovits M. J. Memorandum for the study of acculturation. American Anthropologist, 1936, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 149–152.
- Bazhan T.A. Socio-cultural interaction of foreign citizens in the system of state migration policy. Azimut nauchnykh issledovanii: ekonomika i upravlenie=ASR: Economics and Management, 2018, vol. 7, no. 3 (24), pp. 24–30 (in Russian).
- Volokh V.A., Suvorova V.A. Theoretical foundations of studying the problems of adaptation and integration of migrants into Russian society. Vestnik universiteta=Vestnik Universiteta, 2013, no. 20, pp. 202–208 (in Russian).
- Integratsiya inokul’turnykh migrantov: perspektivy interkul’turalizma [Integration of Foreign Cultural Migrants: Perspectives of Interculturalism]. Ed. by I.P. Tsapenko, I.V. Grishin. Moscow: IMEMO RAN, 2018. 233 p.
- Malakhov V.S. Integratsiya migrantov: kontseptsii i praktiki [Integration of Migrants: Concepts and Practices]. Moscow: Fond «Liberal’naya Missiya», 2015. 272 p.
- Ovshinov A.N. General-sociological paradigm of social adaptation. Vestnik kalmytskogo universiteta=Vestnik of Kalmyk University, 2014, no. 4 (24), pp. 81–96 (in Russian).
- Khamidulin V.S. Theoretical perspectives in immigrant incorporation research. Gumanitarnye issledovaniya v Vostochnoi Sibiri i na Dal’nem Vostoke=Humanities Research in the Russian Far East, 2016, no. 1, pp. 49–60 (in Russian).
- Alba R., Nee V. Rethinking assimilation theory for a new era of immigration. International Migration Review, 1997, vol. 31 (4), рр. 826–874.
- Berry J., Sam D. Acculturation and Adaptation. In: Handbook of Cross-Cultural Psychology. MA: Allyn and Bacon, 1997, vol. 3, pр. 291–326.
- Kim Y.Y. Adapting to a new culture: An integrative communication theory. W. Gudykunst (Ed.). In: Theorizing About Intercultural Communication. Thousand Oaks: Sage. 2005. Pp. 375–400.
- Kim Y.Y. Intercultural personhood: Globalisation and way of being. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 2008, no. 32, pp. 359–368.
- Portes A., Fernаndez-Kelly P., Haller W. The adaptation of the immigrant second generation in America: A theoretical overview and recent evidence. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 2009, no. 35 (7), pp. 1077–1104.
- Schwartz S., Unger J., Zamboanga B., Szapocznik J. Rethinking the concept of acculturation: Implications for theory and research. American Psychologist, 2010, no. 65, pp. 237–25.
- Ereshbaev U.Zh., Eshenova S.E. Problems of external labor migration of the population of Kyrgyzstan. Narodonaselenie=Population, 2016, no. 1-1, pp. 34–41 (in Russian).
- Azhekbarov KA., Ishenov B.Ch. The Kyrgyz Republic as a part of EEU. Finansy: teoriya i praktika= Finance: Theory and Practice, 2016, no. 2, pp. 117–119 (in Russian).
- Dzhamangulov E. The adaptation problem of Kyrgyz labor migrants. Vestnik NGU. Seriya: Istoriya, filologiya=Novosibirsk State University Bulletin. Series: History and Philology, 2006, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 93–97 (in Russian).
- Yagafova E.A., Golovanov V.V. Samara Kitghiz people: Specifics of ethnic identification and socio-cultural adaptation in a polyethnic urban space. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk=Izvestia of Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2018, vol. 20, no. 3 (2), pp. 553–556 (in Russian).
- Rocheva A.L. Research of “tenant career” positions and housing models of migrants from Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan in Moscow. Sotsiologicheskii zhurnal=Sociological Journal, 2015, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 31–50 (in Russian).
- Peshkova V.M. Migrant infrastructure in Russian cities (the case of labour migrants from Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan in Moscow). Mir Rossii=Universe of Russia, 2015, no. 2, pp. 129–151 (in Russian).
- Shipilov A.V. The Kyrgyz diaspora in Russia: New stage of intercultural interaction. Vestnik KGU=Vestnik of Kostroma State University, 2017, no. 1, pp. 75–77 (in Russian).
- Alba R., Nee V. Remaking the American Mainstream: Assimilation and Contemporary Immigration. Cambridge. Mass.: Harvard University Press. 2003. 359 p.
- Jacobson, D., Deckard N.D. Surveying the landscape of integration: Muslim immigrants in the United Kingdom and France. Democracy and Security, 2014, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 113–131.
- Osadchaya G.I. Digital transformation of the EAEU single labor market: requests from participants. In: Integratsionnyi i modernizatsionnyi potentsial Evrazii: sostoyanie, proekty i formaty realizatsii: sbornik trudov VIII Kazanskogo Evraziiskogo nauchno-prakticheskogo foruma [Integration and modernization potential of Eurasia: Condition, projects and formats of realization: Proceedings of VIII Kazan Eurasian research-to-practice forum], 2019. Pp. 208–216 (in Russian).