Assessing the Impact of Innovation and Investment Activity on the Formation of an Export-Oriented Agricultural Economy
Автор: Derunova E.A., Vasilchenko M.Ya., Shabanov V.L.
Рубрика: Branch-wise economy
Статья в выпуске: 5 т.14, 2021 года.
The issue concerning the formation of an export-oriented agricultural economy is associated with the need to assess its innovation and investment activity and analyze the quality of state policy to stimulate innovation and high technology products in agricultural production. High differentiation of Russian regions by natural and climatic conditions and the level of resource provision are factors that hinder the formation of new export positions, which predetermines the need to improve state investment policy, considering regional differences. The purpose of this study is to identify the dependence of the export level of agricultural products on the level of innovation and investment activity, the development of recommendations to improve innovation and investment activity of territorial and sectoral agricultural systems. We put forward the following hypothesis: one of the most important factors in increasing the volume of agricultural products exports of the region is the level of innovation and investment activity. As a methodological basis we use theoretical approaches of foreign and Russian authors to assessing the impact of innovation and investment processes on the increase of export potential, as well as the formation of balanced export-oriented agricultural systems in the territorial and sectoral sections. We develop a model estimating the relationship between investment in fixed capital in agriculture, gross output of the industry, and exports of agricultural products using methods of multivariate statistical analysis. We assessed the dynamics of regional innovation and investment development and compared the selected typological groups of Russian regions by their production and export efficiency, the resources used and the results achieved. The novelty and significance of the developed model lies in the possibility of its application for diagnostics and monitoring of the state of territorial sectoral and regional innovation and investment agrosystems. For each type of region we proposed differentiated strategies of state regulation aimed at overcoming the limitations of low innovation and investment activity in the formation of exportoriented agricultural economy. The results of the study are of practical value for the development and implementation of targeted mechanisms and tools to improve the efficiency of innovation and investment activities in order to ensure the leading position of the regions in exports of agricultural products.
Innovation and investment activity, agricultural economy, export, modeling, principal components analysis, typology of regions, state support, territorial and sectoral approach
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/147234810
IDR: 147234810 | DOI: 10.15838/esc.2021.5.77.6
Список литературы Assessing the Impact of Innovation and Investment Activity on the Formation of an Export-Oriented Agricultural Economy
- E.A. Skvortsov et al. Transition of agriculture of digital, intellectual, and robotics technologies. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2018, vol. 14, issue 3, pp. 1014–1028 (in Russian).
- Preobrazhenskiy Yu., Firsova A. Problem of forming balanced agroinnovation systems: Empirical evidence from Russian regions. Scientific Papers. Series Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, 2020, vol. 20, issue 4, рр. 89–100.
- Vasilchenko M.Ya., Sandu I. Innovative-investment development of agriculture in the conditions of formation of the export-oriented economic sector. System approach. Sci. Pap. Ser. Manag. Econ. Eng. Agric. Rural Dev., 2020, vol. 20, рр. 599–612.
- Pant L.P., Hambly-Odame H. Innovation systems in renewable natural resource management and sustainable agriculture: A literature review. African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development, 2009, vol. 1, рр. 103–135.
- Spielman D., Ekboir, J., Davis K. The art and science of innovation systems inquiry: Applications to sub-Saharan African agriculture. Technology in Society, 2009, vol. 31, pp. 399–405.
- Hall A., Clark N. What do complex adaptive systems look like and what are the implications for innovation policy? Journal of International Development, 2010, vol. 22, pp. 308–324.
- Leeuwis C., Van den Ban A.W. Communication for Rural Innovation: Rethinking Agricultural Extension. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2004. P. 424.
- Röling N. Pathways for impact: Scientists’ different perspectives on agricultural innovation. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 2009, vol. 7, pp. 83–94.
- Klerkx L., Aarts N., Leeuwis C. Adaptive management in agricultural innovation systems: The interactions between innovation networks and their environment. Agricultural Systems, 2010, vol. 103, pp. 390–400.
- Vanloqueren G., Baret P. How agricultural research systems shape a technological regime that develops genetic engineering but locks out agro-ecological innovations. Research Policy, 2009, vol. 38, pp. 971–983.
- Thompson J., Scoones I. Addressing the dynamics of agri-food systems: An emerging agenda for social science research. Environmental Science and Policy, 2009, vol. 12, pp. 386–397.
- Brooks S., Loevinsoh M. Shaping agricultural innovation systems responsive to food insecurity and climate change. Natural Resources Forum, 2011, vol. 35, pp. 185–200.
- Edquist C. Design of innovation policy through diagnostic analysis: Identification of systemic problems (or failures). Industrial and Corporate Change, 2011, vol. 20, issue 6, pp. 1725–1753. DOI: 10.1093/icc/dtr060
- Etzkowitz H. Troinaya spiral’: universitety-predpriyatiya-gosudarstvo: innovatsii v deistvii [Triple Helix: Universities – Enterprises – State. Innovations in action]. Translated from English. Tomsk: Izd-vo Tomskogo gos. un-ta sistem upr. i radioelektroniki, 2010. 237 p.
- Carayannis E.G., Campbel D.F.J. “Mode 3” and “Quadruple Helix”: Toward a 21st century fractal innovation ecosystem. International Journal of Technology Management, 2009, vol. 46, issue 3–4, pp. 201–234.
- Carayannis E., Rakhmatullin R. The quadruple/quintuple innovation helixes and smart specialization strategies for sustainable and inclusive growth in Europe and beyond. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 2014, vol. 5, issue 2, pp. 212–239.
- Fritsch M., Mueller P. The persistence of regional new business formation-activity over time-assessing the potential of policy promotion programs. Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 2007, vol. 17, issue 3, pp. 299–315.
- Derunova E.A. Modeling the evaluation of scientific developments effectiveness in agriculture. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2012, no. 2, pp. 250–257 (in Russian).
- Bondarenko Yu.P. Regularities and tendencies of the development of the structure of economic growth of Russia’s agriculture under conditions of interregional differences of development. Regional’nye agrosistemy: ekonomika i sotsiologiya=Regional Agrosystems: Economics and Sociology, 2019, no. 4, pp. 99–108 (in Russian).
- Vasilchenko M., Derunova E. Factors of investment attractiveness of Russian agriculture in the context of innovative structural adjustment. Scientific Papers Series Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, 2020, vol. 20, issue 2, pp. 511–522.
- Wagner J. Exports and productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm-level data. The World Economy, 2007, vol. 30, issue 1, pp. 60–82.
- Leonidas C.L. Export barriers: Non-exporters’ perceptions. International Marketing Review, 1995, vol. 12, issue 1, pp. 4–25.
- Cassiman B., Golovko E., Martinez-Ros E. Innovation, exports and productivity. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2010, vol. 28, issue 4, pp. 372–376.
- Griliches Z. R&D and productivity: The unfinished business. Estudios de Economia, 1998, vol. 25, issue 2, pp. 145–160.
- Grossman G.M., Helpman E. Trade, knowledge spillovers, and growth. European Economic Review, 1991, vol. 35, issue 2–3, pp. 517–526.
- Greenaway D., Kneller R.A. Industry differences in the effect of export market entry: Learning by exporting? Review of World Economics, 2007, vol. 143, issue 3, pp. 416–432.
- Aw B.Y., Hwang A. Productivity and the export market: A firm level analysis. Journal of Development Economics, 1995, vol. 47, pp. 313–332.
- Bernard A.B., Jensen J.B. Exceptional exporter performance: Cause, effect, or both? Journal of International Economics, 1999, vol. 47, issue 1, pp. 1–25.
- Delgado M.A., Fariñas J.C., Ruano S. Firm productivity and export markets: A non-parametric approach. Journal of International Economics, 2002, vol. 57, pp. 397–422.
- Fariñas J.C., Martín-Marcos A. Exporting and economic performance: Firm-level evidence of Spanish manufacturing. The World Economy, 2007, vol. 30, issue 4, pp. 618–646.
- Love J.H., Mansury M.A. Exporting and productivity in business services: Evidence from the United States. International Business Review, 2009, vol. 18, issue 6, pp. 630–642.
- Van Biesebroeck J. Exporting raises productivity in sub-Saharan African manufacturing firms. Journal of International Economics, 2005, vol. 67, issue 2, pp. 373–391.
- Linder N.V., Arsenova E.V. Instruments to stimulate the innovation activity of holdings in industry. Scientific Works of the Free Economic Society of Russia, 2016, vol. 198(2), pp. 266–274.
- Liu X., Buck T. Innovation performance and channels for international technology spill overs: Evidence from Chinese high-tech industries. Research Policy, 2007, vol. 36(3), April, pp. 355–366.
- Kozlov K., Wilhelmsson F. Exports and productivity of Russian firms: In search of causality. Economic Change, 2007, vol. 40, pp. 361–385.
- De Rosa D. Do institutions matter for exporting? The case of Russian manufacturing. Applied Economics Quarterly, 2007, vol. 53, issue 2, pp. 119–164.
- Gorodnichenko Y., Svejnar J., Terrell K. Globalization and innovation in emerging markets. American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 2010, vol. 2, issue 2, pp. 194–226.
- Golikova V.V., Gonchar K.R., Kuznetsov B.V. Empiricheskie dokazatel’stva obuchayushchikh effektov eksporta [Empirical Evidence of Learning-by-Exporting Effects]. Moscow: Izd. Dom Vysshei shkoly ekonomiki, 2011. 52 p.
- Arkhipova M.Yu., Aleksandrova E.A. Study of the relationship between innovation and export activity of Russian enterprises. Prikladnaya ekonometrika=Applied Econometrics, 2014, no. 4(36), pp. 88–101 (in Russian).
- Andreeva E.L., Glukhikh P.L., Krasnykh S.S. Assessing the impact of the digitalization processes on technological export in the Russian regions. Ekonomika regiona=Economy of Region, 2020, vol. 16, issue 2, pp. 612–624 (in Russian).
- Shabanov V.L., Vasilchenko M.Ya, Derunova E.A., Potapov A.P. Formation of an export-oriented agricultural economy and regional open innovations. J. Open Innov. Technol. Mark. Complex, 2021, vol. 7, issue 1, p. 32. DOI: 10.3390/joitmc7010032
- Andryushchenko S.A., Vasil’chenko M.Ya., Shabanov V.L. The method of kmeans clustering as a tool for classification of regional agro-industrial complex, taking into account the special status of selected regions. Ekonomika sel’skokhozyaistvennykh i pererabatyvayushchikh predpriyatii=Economy of agricultural and processing enterprises, 2019, no. 11, pp. 36–41 (in Russian).
- Vasilchenko M., Derunova E. Assessment of the contribution of the investment potential to increasing the efficiency of agricultural production. Scientific Papers Series Management, Economic Engineering in Agriculture and Rural Development, 2021, vol. 21, issue 1, pp. 805–816.
- Derunova E.A., Ustinova N.V., Derunov V.A., Semenov A.S. Modeling of diversification of market as a basis for sustainable economic growth. Ekonomicheskie i sotsial’nye peremeny: fakty, tendentsii, prognoz=Economic and Social Changes: Facts, Trends, Forecast, 2016, no. 6, pp. 91–109. DOI: 10.15838/esc/2016.6.48.5 (in Russian).
- Semin A.N., Skvortsov E.A., Skvortsova E.G. Territorial aspects of robotization of agriculture. APK: ekonomika, upravlenie=Agroindustrial Complex: Economics, management, 2019, no. 3, pp. 35–46 (in Russian).
- Firsova A.A., Makarova E.L., Tugusheva R.R. Institutional management elaboration through cognitive modeling of the balanced sustainable development of regional innovation systems. J. Open Innov. Technol. Mark. Complex, 2020, vol. 6, p. 32. DOI: 10.3390/joitmc6020032