An Overview of Reconfigurable Antennas for Wireless Body Area Networks and Possible Future Prospects
Автор: Hafiz Suliman Munawar
Статья в выпуске: 2 Vol.10, 2020 года.
The use of antennas in various fields and applications is gaining much importance because of their growing advancements and numerous facilities. Due to their vast advantages, now wearable antennas are used in fields of personal healthcare, entertainment, military and many others. For the fabrication of wearable antennas, many aspects need special consideration in order to manufacture a safe system for the user. As the applications of wireless body centric communication with antennas has a great variability, so enhancements are made in the systems by integrating reconfigurable antennas in it. These antennas work better than the single installed antennas because of their adjustable parameters thus increasing the performance of whole system. This paper provides an overview of the existing antennas and their applications, in order to better understand ways in which the limitations associated with wearable antennas could be overcome in the future. Certain design challenges which occur during the fabrication of wearable antennas like safety, cost and tolerance in addition to the recent advancements in this field are discussed. Designing a particular antenna for body area network mainly depends upon the application of the user and the place of installation. To build a review about the reconfigurable antenna for body centric communication, 15 papers from the last 6 years are consulted which fall under the domain of wearable antennas. There is still a margin of improvement in this field and better technologies will be introduced in coming years which include precision medicine.
Body-centric communication system, pattern reconfigurable antenna, wearable antenna, on-body, flexible, reconfigurable frequency
Короткий адрес: https://readera.org/15017628
IDR: 15017628 | DOI: 10.5815/ijwmt.2020.02.01
Список литературы An Overview of Reconfigurable Antennas for Wireless Body Area Networks and Possible Future Prospects
- Salleh, S.M., Jusoh, M., Ismail, A.H., Kamarudin, M.R., Nobles, P., Rahim, M.K.A., Sabapathy, T., Osman, M.N., Jais, M.I. and Soh, P.J., 2017. Textile antenna with simultaneous frequency and polarization reconfiguration for WBAN. IEEE Access, 6, pp.7350-7358.
- Li, M., Xiao, S.Q. and Wang, B.Z., 2013, December. Pattern-reconfigurable antenna for on-body communication. In 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-BIO) (pp. 1-3). IEEE.
- Saeed, S.M., Balanis, C.A., Birtcher, C.R., Durgun, A.C. and Shaman, H.N., 2017. Wearable flexible reconfigurable antenna integrated with artificial magnetic conductor. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 16, pp.2396-2399].
- Abbas, S.M., Ranga, Y. and Esselle, K.P., 2015, August. Reconfigurable antenna options for 2.45/5 GHz wireless body area networks in healthcare applications. In 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) (pp. 5465-5468). IEEE.
- Li, G., Huang, Y., Gao, G., Wei, X., Tian, Z. and Bian, L.A., 2017. A handbag zipper antenna for the applications of body-centric wireless communications and Internet of Things. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 65(10), pp.5137-5146.
- Lin, W. and Wong, H., 2016, May. Polarization reconfigurable multi-slot antenna for body-centric wireless communication system. In 2016 IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition (iWEM) (pp. 1-3). IEEE.
- Shakhirul, M.S., Jusoh, M., Ismail, A.H., Kamarudin, M.R., Rahim, H.A. and Sabapathy, T., 2016, April. Reconfigurable frequency with circular polarization for on-body wearable textile antenna. In 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) (pp. 1-4). IEEE.
- Li, G., Gao, G., Liu, W., Su, J. and Bai, Y., 2017, July. An on-body watchband antenna for the applications of wearable systems. In 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (pp. 585-586). IEEE.
- Munawar, H.S., AAwan, A.A., Khalid, U., Munawar, S. and Maqsood, A., 2017. Revolutionizing Telemedicine by Instilling H. 265. International Journal of Image, Graphics & Signal Processing, 9(5).
- Przybylski, T., Froehle, P., McDonald, C., Mirzaee, M., Noghanian, S. and Fazel-Rezai, R., 2015, May. Wearable wireless body area network for aeronautical applications. In 2015 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT) (pp. 563-568). IEEE.
- Alharbi, S., Shubair, R.M. and Kiourti, A., 2018. Flexible antennas for wearable applications: Recent advances and design challenges.
- Khan, S., Ali, H., Nasir, J., Khan, R., Ramenah, H. and Tanougast, C., 2018, September. A Coplanar Waveguide Wide Band Frequency Reconfigurable Dielectric Resonator Antenna for Wimax/WLAN/WBAN Applications. In 2018 International Conference on Signals and Electronic Systems (ICSES) (pp. 191-195). IEEE.
- Munawar, H.S., Awan, A.A., Maqsood, A. and Khalid, U., REINVENTING RADIOLOGY IN MODERN ERA.
- Casula, G.A., Montisci, G., Valente, G. and Gatto, G., 2018. A robust printed antenna for UHF wearable applications. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 66(8), pp.4337-4342.
- Gao, G.P., Hu, B., Wang, S.F. and Yang, C., 2018. Wearable circular ring slot antenna with EBG structure for wireless body area network. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 17(3), pp.434-437.