A CLB priority based power gating technique in field programmable gate arrays
Автор: Abhishek Nag, Sambhu Nath Pradhan
Статья в выпуске: 5 vol.10, 2018 года.
In this work, an autonomous technique of power gating is introduced at coarse level in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) architecture to minimize leakage power. One of the major disadvantages of FPGA is the unnecessary power dissipation associated with the unused logic/inactive blocks. These inactive blocks in a FPGA are automatically cut-off from the power supply in this approach, based on a CLB priority algorithm. Our method focuses on introducing gating into both the logic blocks and routing resources of an FPGA at the same time, contrary to previous approaches. The proposed technique divides the FPGA fabric into clusters of CLBs and associated routing resources and introduces power gating separately for each cluster during runtime. The FPGA prototype has been developed in Cadence virtuoso spectrum at 45 nm technology and the layout of the proposed power gated FPGA is developed also. Simulation has been carried out for a ‘4 CLB’ prototype and results in a maximum of 55 % power reduction. The area overhead is 1.85 % for the ‘4 CLB’ FPGA prototype and tends to reduce with the increase in number of CLBs. The area overhead of a ‘128 CLB’ FPGA prototype is only 0.058 %, considering 4 sleep transistors. As an extension to the proposed gating in ‘4 CLB’ prototype, two techniques for an ‘8 CLB’ prototype are also evaluated in this paper, each having its own advantages. Due to the wake up time associated with power gated blocks, delay tends to increase. The wake-up time however, reduces with the increase in sleep transistor width.
FPGA, Power gating, CLB, Routing resources, CADENCE, sleep transistor
Короткий адрес: https://readera.ru/15015960
IDR: 15015960 | DOI: 10.5815/ijigsp.2018.05.02
Список литературы A CLB priority based power gating technique in field programmable gate arrays
- H. Z. V. George and J. Rabaey, “The design of a low energy FPGA,” in Proc. Int. Symp. Low Power Electron.Des., CA, Aug. 1999, pp.188–193.
- S. Ishihara, M.Hariyama, and M. Kameyama, “A Low-Power FPGA Based on Autonomous Fine-Grain Power Gating”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 19, No. 8, August 2011.
- Jason H. Anderson,Farid N. Najm, “Low-Power Programmable FPGA Routing Circuitry”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 17 , No. 18, pp. 1048-1060, 2009.
- Assem A. M. Bsoul, Steven J. E. Wilton, “An FPGA architecture supporting dynamically controlled power gating”, International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology, pp. 1-8, Dec. 2010.
- Paul Chow, Soon Ong Seo, Jonathan Rose, Kevin Chung, Gerard P´aez-Monz´on, and Immanuel Rahardja, “The Design of an SRAM-Based Field-Programmable Gate Array—Part I: Architecture”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 7, No. 2, June 1999.
- Paul Chow, Soon Ong Seo, Jonathan Rose, Kevin Chung, Gerard P´aez-Monz´on, and Immanuel Rahardja, “The Design of an SRAM-Based Field-Programmable Gate Array—Part II: Circuit Design and Layout”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 7, No. 3, June 1999.
- Gupta, V., & Anis, M., “Statistical Design of the 6T SRAM Bit Cell”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 93-104, 2009.
- H. Schmit, V. Chandra, “Layout techniques for FPGA switch blocks”, IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, Vol. 13, No. 1, Jan. 2005
- www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_ manuals/xilinx11/ise_c_constraints_planahead.htm
- www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_ manuals/xilinx11/sim.pdf
- Nag, D. Nath, and S. N. Pradhan, “Leakage Reduction of SRAM-Based Look-Up Table Using Dynamic Power Gating”, Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers, Vol. 26, No. 03, March 2017.
- Vivek, T.D., Sentieys, O., Derrien, S., “Wakeup Time and Wakeup Energy Estimation in Power-Gated Logic Clusters”, 24th International Conference on VLSI Design (VLSI Design), 2011, pp. 340-345.
- H. A. Elreesh, B. Hamed, “FPGA Fuzzy Controller Design for Magnetic Ball Levitation”, I.J. Intelligent Systems and Applications, 2012, Vol. 10, pp. 72-81.
- Sanjay Singh, Sumeet Saurav, Chandra Shekhar, Anil Vohra,"Prototyping an Automated Video Surveillance System Using FPGAs", International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing(IJIGSP), Vol.8, No.8, pp.37-46, 2016.
- Sanjay Singh, Anil K Saini, Ravi Saini,"Interfacing the Analog Camera with FPGA Board for Real-time Video Acquisition", IJIGSP, vol.6, no.4, pp.32-38, 2014.DOI: 10.5815/ijigsp.2014.04.04
- Shoaib Shokuhi, Ali Hosseini,"Power Optimization of Configurable Logic Block in FPGA via Controlling Logic State of Virtual Ground Voltage", International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing(IJIGSP), Vol.8, No.2, pp.45-52, 2016.